Power amp cutting out. Why?

#1 Post by CT »

Equipment being used.
TLAH Pro 8 ohms x 2
T48 15LF loaded
QSC RMX1850 DCX2494
BEHRINGER Mixer
15 band EQ

The amp clips constantly and cuts out intermittently at high volume with singers and keyboard in a church setting even though the mixer is not clipping. If the mixer is turned down to prevent the amp from clipping the overall volume will be too low. Any ideas as to how to solve this problem?
CT

Ryan A

Re: Power amp cutting out. Why?

#2 Post by Ryan A »

There could be a short in one of the speaker cables or cabs?

Bas Gooiker

#3 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Without clipping the output of the mixer, your output gain from it could well be to high for your amp and clip it.

Could still be asking to much of your setup. I dont know how big the church is, but the 300w into your titan might not be enough to fill a big room.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bas Gooiker wrote:Without clipping the output of the mixer, your output gain from it could well be to high for your amp and clip it.
+1
Also, if you increased the output and input gains on the DCX in order to balance the TLAH's with the T48, set them all back to 0 and use the limiter on the TLAH output channel to balance instead. This also frees up the CPU somewhat in the DCX. As does removing any EQ and using your 15 band for that job.
Bas Gooiker wrote:Could still be asking to much of your setup. I dont know how big the church is, but the 300w into your titan might not be enough to fill a big room.
50V @ 10 ohms = 250W, so 300 should be ample. I can't see a church wanting a T48 at war volume, but if there is only one and the church is large, I can see your point.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

Grant Bunter wrote:I can't see a church wanting a T48 at war volume, but if there is only one and the church is large, I can see your point.
Never underestimate what can happen in church. :shock:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Zack Brock

#6 Post by Zack Brock »

CT wrote:Equipment being used.
TLAH Pro 8 ohms x 2
T48 15LF loaded
QSC RMX1850 DCX2494
(...)
The amp clips constantly and cuts out intermittently at high volume with singers and keyboard in a church setting even though the mixer is not clipping.
Which side is clipping and cutting out? I assume you are using one channel of the RMX1850 for tops and one for subs?
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

CT

#7 Post by CT »

Zarunning ngock wrote:
CT wrote:Equipmentlookingking used.
TLAH Pro 8 ohms x 2
T48 15LF loaded
QSC RMX1850 DCX2494
(...)
The amp clips constantly and cuts out intermittently at high volume with singers and keyboard in a church setting even though the mixer is not clipping.
Which side is clipping and cutting out? I assume you are using one channel of the RMX1850 for tops and one for subs?
The side. running the tops is clipping. After looking at the setup closely it appears that I was driving the amp inputs with too much levels from the EQ.
CT

Gauss

#8 Post by Gauss »

I discovered that on my Crown XTi1000, when I clip my sub output, the top output distorts through my top speakers. The top channel is not clipping. Weird. I have no idea if the sub is distorting, the Titan doesn't sound any different and I don't expect any of the noises to be able to come through the folds.
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Gauss wrote:I discovered that on my Crown XTi1000, when I clip my sub output, the top output distorts through my top speakers.
Probably the power supply is hitting its limits, and that reduces headroom in the other channel as well.

Bas Gooiker

#10 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Did you check the wiring on the Tlah? The resistance load of the array?
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!