Amp for the David?

Is this amp OK?
albert5.1

Amp for the David?

#1 Post by albert5.1 »

Just planning on building a pair of David floorstanders and was wondering if the 8 inch woofers run on a plate amp? Or if they could be put on a plate amp for that matter? If this was covered somewhere already please just point me in the right direction I'm new here.

Bas Gooiker

Re: Amp for the David?

#2 Post by Bas Gooiker »

It was in the plan if i remember correctly. If you install the passive crossover from the plans you can run the whole cabinet from a single channel of any hifi amplifier.

Do you want just the sub or the entire speaker powered?
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

albert5.1 wrote:Just planning on building a pair of David floorstanders and was wondering if the 8 inch woofers run on a plate amp?
They can, but they don't need to, and there's nothing to be gained by it.

albert5.1

#4 Post by albert5.1 »

Just thought they would be perfect to run In a 7.2 setup so only the woofers would be powered. I still need to buy the plans and would like to add a tuba sub later anyways. I have a cabinetmaker to help with the build just worried about how in depth the crossover plans are. Neither of us know much about the crossover. Is there a good place to start reading about building them and how they work?

Bas Gooiker

#5 Post by Bas Gooiker »

albert5.1 wrote:Just thought they would be perfect to run In a 7.2 setup so only the woofers would be powered. I still need to buy the plans and would like to add a tuba sub later anyways. I have a cabinetmaker to help with the build just worried about how in depth the crossover plans are. Neither of us know much about the crossover. Is there a good place to start reading about building them and how they work?
If you are going for a 7.2 setup you could bi-amp them. The crossover plans are very clear and almost idiot proof in my opinion.
But mixing the davids with, lets say a THT, is not a good idea becouse of diffenent phase responces between the 2 subs.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

albert5.1 wrote:Just thought they would be perfect to run In a 7.2 setup so only the woofers would be powered. I still need to buy the plans and would like to add a tuba sub later anyways.
-1. Davids are intended for stand alone 2.0 use. For 7.2 you want dedicated mains like TLAH or SLA plus subs.

albert5.1

#7 Post by albert5.1 »

Well that is not good to hear as I use my home stereo mainly for movies. Too bad I really like the design of the David's and they seem to put out great for speakers with no amp. I'm sure sla's sound great as well I'm kinda stuck on the modern look of the David. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Back to the drawing board.