T39 Slim, single Lab 12

Is this amp OK?
MissileCrisis

T39 Slim, single Lab 12

#1 Post by MissileCrisis »

Would the iNukedsp 1000/3000 be enough to both limit/highpass/otherwise protect a T39. From the plans I know that the Lab 12 should be limited to 55 V aka 378.125 Watts (@8 ohm) but I cannot get an 8ohm rating anywhere for these amps. For now I don't have a lot of money and If I could get a working amp that had all the necessary processing from the inukedsp1000 that would greatly help my $ issues. If someone has used their hardware and could elaborate what the different modes mean, dual mono, stereo, biamp, bridged.

Someone on diy audio measured his inuke3000 to output
300Wrms/8ohm/channel
600Wrms/4ohm/channel
1000Wrms/2ohm/channel
2000Wrms/4ohm/bridged
(rms at clipping)

According to a website the inuke 1000 outputs 430 watts bridged into 8 ohms which according to specs is enough. I may hate myself down the line for cheaping out (when I decide to build more cabs) but I dont' really see multiple cabs as being a logistical option at the moment and assuming the inuke isn't limiting my t39 I might use the money saved on things like duratex :).
Last edited by MissileCrisis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)

Gregory East

Re: T39 Slim, single Lab 12

#2 Post by Gregory East »

The specsheet isn't too specific. Probably you can highpass and lowpass subs all hunky dory but it doesn't say. The 3000 would run 4 cabs, 880w @ 4 0hms, if it's RMS but it's probably some fake peak wattage, who knows? Not me and they aren't saying.

Behringer doesn't have much of a reputation around here so not much to go on. They haven't been taken up by BFM'ers in any numbers as far as I can tell.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

MissileCrisis

#3 Post by MissileCrisis »

Gregory East wrote:The specsheet isn't too specific. Probably you can highpass and lowpass subs all hunky dory but it doesn't say. The 3000 would run 4 cabs, 880w @ 4 0hms, if it's RMS but it's probably some fake peak wattage, who knows? Not me and they aren't saying.

Behringer doesn't have much of a reputation around here so not much to go on. They haven't been taken up by BFM'ers in any numbers as far as I can tell.
Take a look at my updated values (someone did a real resistive load test) and yes those were peak voltage ratings it seems.

As far as I can tell this software can do proper high and low pass (see picture)

If someone could tell me how the dual speakon outs are used in the speakerhardware.com t39 kit and basically how many cables do i need to hook it up to the output of the amp (for both bridged and normal) that would be awesome.
Attachments
settings.png
Last edited by MissileCrisis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built

Gregory East

#4 Post by Gregory East »

We generally run amps with RMS equivalent to the limit voltage at the nominal impedance. More like 900W for a pair of 8 ohm premium subs. This avoids running amps hard out. 600w makes a big noise all the same.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Bas Gooiker

#5 Post by Bas Gooiker »

the dual speakons in the set are used to run 2 cabs in parralel on one amp channel, so called daisy chaining.
But for a single cab you need 1 cable, for 2 cabs parralel you would need a second cable to link them together. Bridging the amp is done by a switch instead of with cables, but is often advised against for diver safety.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

MissileCrisis

#6 Post by MissileCrisis »

Just to be clear, if I were to daisy chain 2 subs they would both be on one channel and thus half the effective impedance load to 4 (both recieving the same power per speaker as the single driven speaker). Thus four subs would be 2 per side.

Also, how do you mixdown a stereo in (say from the outputs of the mains or from the source) to a mono sub out? Would bridging the amp accomplish this and for bridging I've heard that cable rewiring is needed (referring to inukedsp3000).
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built

Gregory East

#7 Post by Gregory East »

Leave dual driver loaded cabs out of it and we'll all be on the same page. Forget about bridging anything.

As I understand it you're planning on a single slim at the moment and limited on budget.

To run 4 Twhatever subs you need 1 two channel amp. That amp can run your one sub and a pair of mono tops in the meantime until you get a trailer and a budget for more cabs and a second lower powered amp for tops.
Last edited by Gregory East on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bas Gooiker

#8 Post by Bas Gooiker »

MissileCrisis wrote:Just to be clear, if I were to daisy chain 2 subs they would both be on one channel and thus half the effective impedance load to 4 (both recieving the same power per speaker as the single driven speaker). Thus four subs would be 2 per side.
This is correct.
MissileCrisis wrote:Also, how do you mixdown a stereo in (say from the outputs of the mains or from the source) to a mono sub out? Would bridging the amp accomplish this and for bridging I've heard that cable rewiring is needed (referring to inukedsp3000).
Usually this is done by the DSP or an electronic crossover. They usually have a sub out wich is a l+r combined mono output. Sinds you are going to do all your limiting etc. in the amps you could do with a simple electronic crossover, they can be found for $50. where a dsp's like the DCX $300, DPA+ $500+ who have very extensive processing on board are much more expensive.
Gregory East wrote:...That amp can run your one sub and a pair of tops in the meantime until you get a trailer and a budget for more cabs and a second lower powered amp for tops.
I just looked into the specs of thre amp you are talking about, and gregory is right... Your amp can do the crossover thing aswel, so you can run your sub and 2 tops mono from the other channel. Once your setup grows an electronic crossover is going to be very handy though.

MissileCrisis

#9 Post by MissileCrisis »

One more thing, if i'm forced to get the inuke 1000dsp for budget reasons, would it be better to run it off of one of the channels and deal with only ~ 165 watts per side? or bridge it for ~440 watts (limiting peak voltage to 55Vrms*1.36 in both cases).

Seeing as I'll likely have to work with powered tops which both have a xlr out is there any simple way (like a y adaptor) that would allow me to sum to mono for the sub/amp. I know the cables would get ugly but I'm just trying to keep a stereo set-up. Also does anyone know how to output to multiple outputs (Native Inst. kontrol 6 dj interface) (simultaneously sending the signal through two sets of outputs -- 1 for tops 1 for sub)

Signal path (one stereo out from interface):
stereo out from kontrol 6 -->
1/4 inch cable to --> Powered mains
xlr cable (1 from each main) --> sub amp
1 speakon cable --> sub
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built

Bas Gooiker

#10 Post by Bas Gooiker »

MissileCrisis wrote:One more thing, if i'm forced to get the inuke 1000dsp for budget reasons, would it be better to run it off of one of the channels and deal with only ~ 165 watts per side? or bridge it for ~440 watts (limiting peak voltage to 55Vrms*1.36 in both cases).

Seeing as I'll likely have to work with powered tops which both have a xlr out is there any simple way (like a y adaptor) that would allow me to sum to mono for the sub/amp. I know the cables would get ugly but I'm just trying to keep a stereo set-up.
If you really have to have this amp for budget reasons, i'd bridge it to make maximum use of you lab 12. And yes there are Y adapters, i have some for 1/4 jacks, but i guess there will be some for xlr aswel.

But how are you going to high pass the tops to avoid cancelations if you are going with powered ones?

Michael Ewald Hansen

#11 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

MissileCrisis wrote:(...)
Seeing as I'll likely have to work with powered tops which both have a xlr out is there any simple way (like a y adaptor) that would allow me to sum to mono for the sub/amp. (...)
You shouldn't ever sum to mono with a Y-adapter.. What you're doing with this is essentially shorting the output of your input source. If you don't have a unit that can electronically sum the signal, you should use a stereo to mono circuit like this:

Or this:

Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

Bas Gooiker

#12 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Michael is right about the short circuit of the input. Before i had a crossover i used something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-DI20- ... 342&sr=1-2I cant find the one i have but there should be plenty out there for less then 30 dollars, but its only a few bucks more for an active crossover wich can do alot more.

MissileCrisis

#13 Post by MissileCrisis »

Would the Crown XLS1000 be enough for a sub or pair of t39s it seems to have the limiting, hp lp that I need (i could be wrong)? Also, There is a used QSC GX3 locally for 150 (my other amp options i'm looking at are all 300) except as far as I can see there is no processing on it that would be useful.

I'm just trying to explore NON-behringer options because I have heard from both this forum and pros that they are unreliable. What is the cheapest processor out there that would allow me to use basic amps? (besides the dbx driverack)
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built

CoronaOperator

#14 Post by CoronaOperator »

MissileCrisis wrote:
Seeing as I'll likely have to work with powered tops which both have a xlr out is there any simple way (like a y adaptor) that would allow me to sum to mono for the sub/amp.

http://www.rane.com/note109.html
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

MissileCrisis

#15 Post by MissileCrisis »

CoronaOperator wrote:
MissileCrisis wrote:
Seeing as I'll likely have to work with powered tops which both have a xlr out is there any simple way (like a y adaptor) that would allow me to sum to mono for the sub/amp.

http://www.rane.com/note109.html
This cleared things up a bit. Now i'm trying to figure out how in the hell I'm going to get a mono sub out without investing in a driverack.
Built
2 x TLAH
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built