What amps for a pair of SLA's and a Tuba HT, Home use?

Is this amp OK?
But it Hertz

What amps for a pair of SLA's and a Tuba HT, Home use?

#1 Post by But it Hertz »

Hello All,

I have this thread running http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =6&t=18683 where I have a Crown XLS 1000 that hisses. I guess I totally chose the wrong amp for home use.

The time has come where I just have to ask for advice.... buying the wrong things is costing me a fortune!!

So as per the title, what amps would do a good job of running a pair of SLA's (non pro) and a Tuba HT for the living room?

Later in the year I'm going to add to the SLA's and make the system 5.1.

Thanks in advance.

BassMe

Re: What amps for a pair of SLA's and a Tuba HT, Home use?

#2 Post by BassMe »

Get a good HT AVR and Bash 300w Sub Plate Amp. Very Easy. Most HT AVR's even have auto EQ to help you out.

But it Hertz

#3 Post by But it Hertz »

BassMe wrote:Get a good HT AVR and Bash 300w Sub Plate Amp. Very Easy. Most HT AVR's even have auto EQ to help you out.
Any recommendations for a good HT AVR?

BassMe

#4 Post by BassMe »

Not familiar with current ones. Just google 2013 mid range avr and do a bit of browsing through the review forums. Usually comes down to Onkyo, Denon, Panasonic, Sony. Go for Audyssey for Auto EQ if possible, has better sub EQ than the Panasonic and other offerings. Audyssey XT or XT32 being the better ones.

MissileCrisis

#5 Post by MissileCrisis »

Do the THT and TT need voltage limiting/hipass/lowpass filters like their titan counterparts? Just seems odd that it is a big deal in a Titan but all of the HT subs use a plate amp. By the way what is the required HPF/voltage limit if any for the THT? I was considering using the GX3 I have for my T39 on a future THT (in conjunction with the DCX 2496 for processing the sub). If amp/processing are out of the way what would be the cost of building a THT? (screws driver wood)
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)

subharmonic

#6 Post by subharmonic »

Put it this way. I am running my center SLA off one side of a Behringer A500 and my dual loaded THT off the other. The SLA gain is at 12oclock and the THT is at 10 oclock to tell you what kind of power you need.

As for a cheap AVR that rocks, Onkyo has almost served me flawlessly for years. I had a trade for a sub a couple years back and got a TXSR-806 that worked and sounded great but was sensitive to high input levels, haven't had that issue with the TXSR700 or 703 or my current TXNR818.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

Drey Chennells

#7 Post by Drey Chennells »

subharmonic wrote:As for a cheap AVR that rocks, Onkyo has almost served me flawlessly for years. I had a trade for a sub a couple years back and got a TXSR-806 that worked and sounded great but was sensitive to high input levels, haven't had that issue with the TXSR700 or 703 or my current TXNR818.
We've just installed an Onk TX NR515 in a 60x40x16 space and the Audyssey 2eq, 3 position eq is better than expected and overall very good especially considering the unit's price.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

subharmonic

#8 Post by subharmonic »

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Actually according to their descripion vs their chart at the bottom of the page I am not sure what 2eq does but going to multieq should be worth some extra coin almost always unless you plan on room tuning yourself
I need more bass

CW Mcall

Drey Chennells

#9 Post by Drey Chennells »

subharmonic wrote:http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Actually according to their descripion vs their chart at the bottom of the page I am not sure what 2eq does but going to multieq should be worth some extra coin almost always unless you plan on room tuning yourself

For those in the market consider in Onkyo's lineup getting multEQ and bass correction means stepping up to the 818 unit for $1100. A BFD1124 offers substantial LF tuning for around $100+.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

subharmonic

#10 Post by subharmonic »

Drey Chennells wrote:
subharmonic wrote:http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

For those in the market consider in Onkyo's lineup getting multEQ and bass correction means stepping up to the 818 unit for $1100. A BFD1124 offers substantial LF tuning for around $100+.
Holy crap. Had not looked at their current lineup. Not having multieq, or multieqxt on a midrange price is very lame. that being said one was able to pickup a 818 for $650 during the pricing wars around xmas. Possibly refurbed older units may be a good budget way to look too.
I need more bass

CW Mcall

AntonZ

#11 Post by AntonZ »

I got a 709 around that time, the successor had been available for a while so it came at a very attractive price tag (and better EQ than the new model). I had some doubts after my older 605 suffered HDMI issues like other models from that era. So far I like the 709. Runs cooler, too. Switch off HDMI pass through though on the Onkyo receivers. It starts up faster and passes HDMI through to your TV even when switched off, but keeps drawing quite some power 24/7. I saw a very noticable incline in electricity first month, have switched off the HDMI pass through right away.