Second Guessing Amp Choice for T48's

Is this amp OK?
brinandi

Second Guessing Amp Choice for T48's

#1 Post by brinandi »

So I was all set on the XTi4002 to run the 4 T48's I am going to build but now I am starting to second guess my choice... I will be running a driverack so a lot of the DSP functions on the XTi will most likely go unused as far as I can tell (at least in my mind).

With that being said I am leaning towards just getting a simple 2 chan power amp such as the
Peavey ipr3000
QSC GX7

Both seem to have the volts (limiter set at 50 volts) needed to run 2 per chan as far as I can tell but I am also a n00b. I am seeing that the GX7's output was only measured at one freq vs. 20-20k. With that being said, is there enough headroom. This system will be ran for 8 hours or so pushing limit pretty much the entire time, so I do not want to kill the amps if they can't handle this kind of use.

Which would be the better choice and why? I am reading as much as I can on here but I guess I am looking for a concrete this/that and why. I should add that I have also read that there seems to be channel issues with the XTi's (is this still a current issue or has it been addressed and corrected?). I am open to suggestions as well.

SeisTres

Re: Second Guessing Amp Choice for T48's

#2 Post by SeisTres »

If you're running the driverack, there's no point in running xti's or any amp with processing; you get charged a pretty penny for what your driverack will be taking care of. If you still want the lightweight there still the crown xls, peavy ipr, and the qsc option that are lightweight without the processing, but since i have not used the new ones i can say nothing on how they perform.

However, if you don't mind the extra weight and are on a budget the behringer europower series are serious workhorses. These i've used and they never let me down even when pushed hard. If you have a nice budget, qsc and the upper crowns are of course the bee's knees.

I do advise to as far away from the old crown xls line (the heavy ones). They are complete garbage. Their only saving grace is the service that crown provides for them.

As for power, you're in the right direction. Something equivalent to 800watt (or more) into 4ohm should do nicely like the xti4000, qsc 2500.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

brinandi

#3 Post by brinandi »

Ya, I really don't want to waste money on money for something that I don't need (DSP stuff). With that being said I am also not afraid of spending money where it needs to be spent. If the right amp is going to cost $7-800 vs. the $3-400 I'm ok with that. I figured that the DSP stuff was adding to the cost of the higher end amps (such as the XTi) and that is exactly what I want to get away from. I also don't want something cheap that will fry out after a year (getting down to $300 for the ipr is somewhat concerning to me? I dunno, maybe my spending expectations are just inflated because I want the right stuff). I really have never considered Behringer equipment as I played on their mixers a few times over the years and their stuff just feels cheap to me (concerning when it comes to power amps) I will check out and read as much as I can about the euro series amps tho, so thank you for that suggestion. Weight is not an issue, pushing a rolling rack and lifting with another person, so no worries there.

netwerks

#4 Post by netwerks »

The ipr 3000 will do what you want @ around 59 volts before DDT kicks in. It sounds great and can be had for less than $385 new.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I been running QSC GX7s for a rock band pushing two 2x18 JBL 528s subs. They will take 1000 watts each at 4 ohms and I've pushed the amps pretty hard at some gigs hitting the red on every kick drum hit.

So far, they've worked really well with no heat....unlike the Behringer Europowers that they replaced (after one totally crapped out right before a gig).

The GX7 is a really good fit for two Titans at 50 volts. And they have pretty good warranties also.

I run all Crown in my rig, but so far - I'm impressed with these amps......now, if I could just get this band to replace those tired Peavey tops with some OT12s......oh well........

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

brinandi

#6 Post by brinandi »

Ok stupid question.. I notice that the IPR 3000 has 1/4" thru inputs for linking amps and the GX7 has none. Is it good practice to just Y off the XLR to get multiple sub amp inputs?

-edit-
I just read that the inputs on the GX7 are connected in parallel. So I would be able to XLR in from Driverack and then 1/4" input from same amp to the 1/4"/XLR in on second amp?

Benifits of doing it this way vs. Y off XLR to two seperate inputs?

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

brinandi wrote: So I would be able to XLR in from Driverack and then 1/4" input from same amp to the 1/4"/XLR in on second amp?

Benifits of doing it this way vs. Y off XLR to two seperate inputs?
No benefit either way. It's a copper connection, it's parallel....one's inside the amp, one's outside.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."