Sub woofer plate amplifiers - where do you put them?

Is this amp OK?
But it Hertz

Sub woofer plate amplifiers - where do you put them?

#1 Post by But it Hertz »

Hi All,

Have been searching around looking for photos of various builds. I don't think I managed to find a completed sub with a plate amp built in. All the pictures I can find are with the amps next to the subs on the floor when they were first fired up!

I presume cutting a big hole in the side of a T18 or TT for an amp is a big no no?

What is everyone doing with their plate amps? Please post or link to pictures if you can.

Thanks.
Last edited by But it Hertz on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frederic Gelinas

Re: Sub woofer plate amplifiers - where do you put them?

#2 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

Build a case for it. Or in my case, I just made an "adapter" and mount it in my A/V rack.
Frédéric Gélinas, HF Audio
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada

But it Hertz

#3 Post by But it Hertz »

Frederic Gelinas wrote:Build a case for it. Or in my case, I just made an "adapter" and mount it in my A/V rack.
That's what I figured. Maybe tweak the design a little to make a void, but keeping the horn faithful to the design...

Frederic Gelinas

#4 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

Why do you want your amp at a distance? Isn't is more logical to have all your amps at the same place? And there is less chance to get a ground loop that way.
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator

But it Hertz

#5 Post by But it Hertz »

Frederic Gelinas wrote:Why do you want your amp at a distance? Isn't is more logical to have all your amps at the same place? And there is less chance to get a ground loop that way.
I find it difficult to fault this logic! I kind of agree.

I'm on a huge learning curve right now. Just figuring the best way to do everything as I go.

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

But it Hertz wrote:
Frederic Gelinas wrote:Why do you want your amp at a distance? Isn't is more logical to have all your amps at the same place? And there is less chance to get a ground loop that way.

I'm on a huge learning curve right now. Just figuring the best way to do everything as I go.
It's always easier to run a single cable (speaker cable) to a speaker than two (power and signal).

That means you can put the speaker anywhere you want, not worrying about having power nearby.

It's also easier to adjust volumes all in one place instead of going back and forth to the sub, reaching around the back blindly, etc......

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

But it Hertz

#7 Post by But it Hertz »

Yep, OK I think I'm sold. Thanks.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

But it Hertz wrote:

The more you know about how gear works the less sense on-board amplification makes. But since the average buyer knows absolutely nothing about how gear works on-board dominates the commercial market.

But it Hertz

#9 Post by But it Hertz »

The more you know about how gear works the less sense on-board amplification makes. But since the average buyer knows absolutely nothing about how gear works on-board dominates the commercial market.
Agreed. The "What Hi-Fi" type magazines are as much to blame as anyone IMO!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

But it Hertz wrote:
Agreed. The "What Hi-Fi" type magazines are as much to blame as anyone IMO!
FWIW, on-board was originally arrived at to provide a simple method of adding a sub to an existing 2 channel receiver. When x.1 came along receivers added LFE outs to make them compatible with the self-powered subs already on the market. If they'd done it right x.1 receivers would have incorporated their own dedicated sub amps from day one, for use with non-powered subs, but they didn't, as there were no non-powered subs to use them with.

But it Hertz

#11 Post by But it Hertz »

FWIW, on-board was originally arrived at to provide a simple method of adding a sub to an existing 2 channel receiver. When x.1 came along receivers added LFE outs to make them compatible with the self-powered subs already on the market. If they'd done it right x.1 receivers would have incorporated their own dedicated sub amps from day one, for use with non-powered subs, but they didn't, as there were no non-powered subs to use them with.
Well this makes perfect sense to me.

One of the things I'm loving about this forum is the clarity I'm discovering about the ins and outs of audio. A lot of what I'm learning here feels fairly intuitive. Most of what you can buy is confusing, conflicting, expensive and when you get it home, rubbish.

I can't remember the last time I purchased something and was totally satisfied with it. My little T18 is already out performing anything I have ever owned... and I built it myself! This is so satisfying!

I move from project to project... but BFM kit is really getting under my skin. I think I will be building my own sound systems now for the rest of my life.

Why wouldn't I??

Frederic Gelinas

#12 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

But it Hertz wrote: My little T18 is already out performing anything I have ever owned... and I built it myself!
Good! Now build a Table Tuba. You will be amazed at what it can make with the same cheap driver as your T18.
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator

But it Hertz

#13 Post by But it Hertz »

Good! Now build a Table Tuba. You will be amazed at what it can make with the same cheap driver as your T18.
I think I might have to build some mids / tops first! But I like the cut of your jib. Arrrrrrrrr.