Crown Xti dropping channel fix.

Is this amp OK?
wallywally

Crown Xti dropping channel fix.

#1 Post by wallywally »

I have 2 Xti2000's. Both were dropping channel 2 intermittently. They both did this from new and they are not the early amps with known ribbon cable problems. Originally I thought it was firmware related because when I would flash the amps the problem seemed to go away for a while. Long story short, the ribbons were bad. When I would wiggle them I could hear cut strands rubbing around.

I called Crown and was informed the fix would be a new display board @ $100 each. I decided to attempt a fix before dropping that kind of cash.
119small.jpg
Remove the top, face plate, and attenuator nuts

121small.jpg
The cable plugs into the main board. The display board end is not meant to be removable, just break the tabs off and remove the cable.

122small.jpg
Remove the plug end from the cable also.

123small.jpg
Bend the rows of contacts on the plug to form a "V", so you'll have more room to solder the wires.

127small.jpg
Radio Shack ribbon cable. Stripped and tinned.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

wallywally

Re: Crown Xti dropping channel fix.

#2 Post by wallywally »

129small.jpg
Solder plug.

128small.jpg
Solder the display board.

130small.jpg
Apply hot melt glue to to the solder joints on the plug and display board.

132small.jpg
Reassemble the amp. Note I also applied hot melt glue to the original contacts on the front of the display board so they weren't exposed.

The amps have had no further glitches. I have 40+ hours on them since the repair.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

SirNickity

#3 Post by SirNickity »

wallywally wrote:I called Crown and was informed the fix would be a new display board @ $100 each.
:shock: How could that possibly be anything other than a manufacturer's defect? Do you jostle your display PCB often? Sheesh. I've lost a lot of respect for Crown since the xti series came out.

Ah, the "oops we :cop:'d up the PCB design" band-aid wire. How long has this model been in production now? I don't think I could stomach selling a product with one of these after the first batch or two.

Glad to hear you fixed it. And good work, BTW. But seriously, Crown.. WTF happened?

wallywally

#4 Post by wallywally »

It would have been covered if it was still within the warranty period. I dropped the ball on that...I couldn't do without the amps while they were being repaired so the warranty expired. :slap:
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Great work!

Nice to see a little ingenuity save some hard earned...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

byacey

#6 Post by byacey »

Good Job. Unfortunately, it's things like this that prevent me from spending money on a new power amp. I'd rather buy 4 older power amps for the same money, that can be repaired without the aid of a microscope and surgical tweezers. An amp with firmware? I must be developing into an old curmudgeon.

Anyone have some old Carver PT1250 or 2.0 they want to sell? :hyper:
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

wallywally

#7 Post by wallywally »

I purchased these amps because my back is getting old. My rack consists of 2 Xti's a DEQ2496 (for auto EQ and limiting) and a 6 channel headphone amp (just went wired in ear and I'm not looking back) and weighs just under 70lbs. In addition these amps are much more efficient than the "old iron" and I have no problems running the entire band (lights and smoke included) off of (1) 15 amp circuit. I'm personally happy with the trade off.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

wallywally wrote:I purchased these amps because my back is getting old. My rack consists of 2 Xti's a DEQ2496 (for auto EQ and limiting) and a 6 channel headphone amp (just went wired in ear and I'm not looking back) and weighs just under 70lbs. In addition these amps are much more efficient than the "old iron" and I have no problems running the entire band (lights and smoke included) off of (1) 15 amp circuit. I'm personally happy with the trade off.
Amen.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Lastcat

#9 Post by Lastcat »

wallywally wrote:I purchased these amps because my back is getting old. My rack consists of 2 Xti's a DEQ2496 (for auto EQ and limiting) and a 6 channel headphone amp (just went wired in ear and I'm not looking back) and weighs just under 70lbs. In addition these amps are much more efficient than the "old iron" and I have no problems running the entire band (lights and smoke included) off of (1) 15 amp circuit. I'm personally happy with the trade off.
Absolutely, plus the benefit of using Band Manager. Hopefully the 2 Xti 4000's and the Xti 2000 hold up for many years, so far they have.
Currently Built:
4 T39 24" 3012LF
4 WH10 2510
4 DR200 Pro 8a
4 DR250 2510

colt45ws

#10 Post by colt45ws »

On the display board end, why didnt you just desolder the contact then solder the ribbon through the vacant holes?
* T-A/T Build: Acquiring Materials...
20% Cooler in 10 seconds Flat

wallywally

#11 Post by wallywally »

colt45ws wrote:On the display board end, why didnt you just desolder the contact then solder the ribbon through the vacant holes?
Desoldering 20 pins and getting them all to let loose with out delaminating the traces didn't seem worth the time or risk of damage.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

colt45ws

#12 Post by colt45ws »

wallywally wrote:
colt45ws wrote:On the display board end, why didnt you just desolder the contact then solder the ribbon through the vacant holes?
Desoldering 20 pins and getting them all to let loose with out delaminating the traces didn't seem worth the time or risk of damage.
I can see that. Figured there was a good reason.
* T-A/T Build: Acquiring Materials...
20% Cooler in 10 seconds Flat