Crown LPS 2500

Is this amp OK?
Bas Gooiker

Crown LPS 2500

#1 Post by Bas Gooiker »

When i visited my local sound equipment supplier last weekend i stumbled on to a reasonably priced Crown LPS 2500. This amp has been used in theyr "showroom" to testdrive cabinets for theyr customers.

I know about the reliability of the XTI series and crown in general, but i wondered if anyone here has experience with this specific amplifier series.

Would this be sufficient to use with 2x t39 & 2 dr250? (t39's are not with the "premium" drivers so lower voltage limit)
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Grant Bunter

Re: Crown LPS 2500

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

I've had a comment that the Crown XLS 1000 is fine for DR250's, and read elsewhere in the forum to limit them to 40V.

With the LPS 2500 capable of 725W @ 4 ohms according to the blurb, that is well over requirements for your DR's.

What drivers in the T39's?
I run my BP102 loaded T39's, with a limit of 35V, with an old iron amp that puts out 450W @ 4 ohms and that requires around 6dB reduction on my limiter which gives me about 34V.
So once again 725W @ 4 ohms should be fine....
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bas Gooiker

#3 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Thanks for fast reply Grant... btw love your dr250 build thread.

I was wondering about the reliability of the amp, becouse they rate it as theyr "middle class" amp. So i wonder if thats only about the fact there is no limiting etc etc. wich i dont need. Im only afraid middle class could also mean less well built. :noob:

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Bas,
You're welcome and thanks re the DR build thread :)

The blurb also says: "All three models in the series are powerful, rugged and reliable. They are suited for applications such as churches, concert tours, stages, disco, pubs, or any place that requires amplifier installation"
I pasted this because not all the Crown amp blurbs state "suitable for concert tours", which is the most rigorous of environments for most amps.
It also suggests reliability.

The blurb I found doesn't state weight though.
So you may want to check that out.

Other than that, if you can get a great price on it, it should be fine...

edit: just found the weight, the LPS 2500 is 14.9kg. Not bad
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bas Gooiker

#5 Post by Bas Gooiker »

I guess when im at the point i can do concert tours i guess i'll be able to afford me some concert tour grade amps. This amp sounds just like the thing i need, with a good price to booth.

Weight does'nt concern me so much... i am allways a bit scare of the new digital amps, although working in the semiconductor industry i have faith in huge overweight copper coils, because they make it look so sturdy. :noob:

byacey

#6 Post by byacey »

[quote="Bas Gooiker"]I guess when im at the point i can do concert tours i guess i'll be able to afford me some concert tour grade amps. This amp sounds just like the thing i need, with a good price to booth.

Weight does'nt concern me so much... i am allways a bit scare of the new digital amps, although working in the semiconductor industry i have faith in huge overweight copper coils, because they make it look so sturdy. :noob:[/quote

]

I have to agree with you. I'm an electronics engineering tech and was looking to buy some dead Crown amps up for auction. Fortunately before I bid on them I did a bit of investigating and found these things are all surface mount components. If there's any catastrophic failure with burnt components, you may as well throw it in the dumpster. Just the soot contamination or charring on the PC boards renders them not worth repairing. With the older single sided PC boards you could at least cut away the damaged fiberglass and rebuild it with epoxy. I saw it mentioned that pretty much all manufacturers have gone with surface mount now.

With that in mind, I've been snooping around buying older conventional amps wherever I can find them. They may be a little heavier, but at least they are easy to troubleshoot and repair. To me, that means a lot.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212