GTD amps

Is this amp OK?
mattaudio

GTD amps

#1 Post by mattaudio »

Anyone used em?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GTD-Audio-M-250 ... 3cbe018bcd

I know a few of us on here like their wireless mics but I'm looking for a vouch before I pick up an amp.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: GTD amps

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

2500 watts? Hogwash. Avoid,

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

The real story is further on down in the listing.
2 x 250W at 8 ohms
or 2 x 500W at 4 ohms.

It's not usual for the output at 4 ohms to be twice that at 8 ohms.

See if you can find more info on their website...

What were you thinking of using the amp for?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Grant Bunter wrote:The real story is further on down in the listing.
2 x 250W at 8 ohms
or 2 x 500W at 4 ohms.
Assuming that's not hogwash as well. Reputable manufacturers don't advertise phony specs.

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

....and their spelling is better than this.

Professional speaken output connectors
supper compact 1U design fits 19” rack
TomS

mattaudio

#6 Post by mattaudio »

Nobody is claiming the company is reputable. Just wondering if the product is valuable... which is a low standard when these things are $130 all in and many of us have had luck with their wireless mics.

I've e-mailed with the company (using their hotmail address) and it's associated with a man with a Cantonese surname who seems to be managing the whole import and sales operation himself. It's funny that I email them asking about a part, and they put it on the ebay store the next day. But maybe that's why this place is so cheap.

Again, not looking for reputable (that's what my crown amps and my old-iron crest amps are for) but just looking for value.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

mattaudio wrote:Again, not looking for reputable (that's what my crown amps and my old-iron crest amps are for) but just looking for value.
I've found over the years that value seems to lie in great products at a decent price, rather than so-so products at a cheap price.

I like a deal as much as the next guy, but after going cheap and having to replace at inopportune times (and I'm talking everything from shoes to tools) - I've decided that life is too short to introduce crap into my life.....it's been a lot less frustrating and has saved gas money on trips to return or re-buy the stuff I knew I shouldn't have bought in the first place.

Value is almost never a function of price, but rather service, longevity, and satisfaction......and satisfaction for junk usually only lasts from the time you pay for it until you get it home.

Thus ends Chapter 13 of "The Old Geezer's Life Lessons"

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Ryan A

#8 Post by Ryan A »

You do get what you pay for, however sometimes you do find a good deal, as long as you don't expect it to be something its not. I have a "1000" watt pyramid PA amplifier (PA-1000x) that has been running reliably and excellent for the past 10 years or so with no issues other than a burnt out VU light bulb.

Since I have accepted it for what it really is, which is basically a 100 watt rms X 2 amplifier, I am happy with it.

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans »

We've used several. The "real" ratings are legit. No word on durability or longevity yet, but they work as advertised.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

BrentEvans

#10 Post by BrentEvans »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Grant Bunter wrote:The real story is further on down in the listing.
2 x 250W at 8 ohms
or 2 x 500W at 4 ohms.
Assuming that's not hogwash as well. Reputable manufacturers don't advertise phony specs.
Its a small import company. They know diddle about what they sell, but its nice for the price and does the job. They seem to be fairly responsive by email and resolve problems reasonably.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Rick Lee

#11 Post by Rick Lee »

Well, I've had two of these in a local install now for a month and they seem to be working fine. Fairly quiet, fan cooled. No manufacturers label on it though- doesn't even say where it's manufactured. SQ seems fine. Not pushing them hard so we'll see how they hold up over time.
Authorized Builder
Nashville/Middle Tennessee

bwtaudio@gmail.com

BrentEvans

#12 Post by BrentEvans »

Rick Lee wrote:Well, I've had two of these in a local install now for a month and they seem to be working fine. Fairly quiet, fan cooled. No manufacturers label on it though- doesn't even say where it's manufactured. SQ seems fine. Not pushing them hard so we'll see how they hold up over time.
They've dropped off the radar on both GTD's site and eBay, for now anyway.

Thus is the way with importers. :roll:

Moe

#13 Post by Moe »

I bought a 10 Ch GTD powered Mixer for events bigger than a Crate Limo, and smaller than a full-blown PA off Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-1000Wat ... +amplifier

And yes, the 1000 watt rating (500 + 500) is "Hogwash" as BFM states. 125 @ 8 ohms and ~ 150rms @ 4 ohms at ~ 1% THD
would probably be correct. If there is enough interest, I can hook up my dummy loads and test equipment and post some measurements.

But really, $159 for a 10Ch mixer that's a copy of a Behringer (even down to the "Ultra" comments in their owners manual)
or Phonic and 125 WPC is fine for what I need. I don't run soundor metal bands.

From the comments about their wireless mics, I may try one of those out.

P.S I had an older GTD 8 ch powered mixer that served me well. Only sold it b/c somebody offered 2X what I paid for it, so I turned
right around and bought this one.

P.P.S I changed out the 1/4" connectors to Speakon combos.

byacey

#14 Post by byacey »

Funny how these amp manufacturers seem to always forget to put the decimal point in the model number or power rating specs.

Often, Behringers are a poorly executed rip off copy of something else. Why would anyone even consider buying something that is probably a poorly executed copy of a Behringer?
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Rick Lee

#15 Post by Rick Lee »

Hmmm... looks like they're back with different models. The ones I have in a local church install are still doing ok after a year... not that they push them hard.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-6500- ... 5983586%26

36lbs and ATR?
Authorized Builder
Nashville/Middle Tennessee

bwtaudio@gmail.com