Any experience or knowledge about Carvin amps or Peavey IPR?

Is this amp OK?
djlivex

Any experience or knowledge about Carvin amps or Peavey IPR?

#1 Post by djlivex »

Hi everyone looking at the Carvin (USA) HD1500 and the Peavey IPR 1600 for use on the SLA Pro's I am about to build 2 (may use as DJ monitor on large shows)? Does anyone have any experience as I have low budget and have used the Crown MT and Crest CA series amps in the past love the sound but my back is the most important now as with this new technology light amps are the way to go for working sometimes by myself in PA or DJ work. May get the higher power Carvin DCML and also the new 3 way DSP from Carvin, thanks everyone! :clap:
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

Gregory East

Re: Any experience or knowledge about Carvin amps or Peavey

#2 Post by Gregory East »

Whatever you get you need
Crossover
Highpass AND lowpass for both channels
Eq
Limiter
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

unsafe8989

#3 Post by unsafe8989 »

I have a pair of IPR 3000's and you won't believe how strong these amps are for the money and the weight first thing i did was open it.up to make sure I wasn't be tricked. I've had experience's with carvin products they are nice as well but i'd perfer a Peavey Product.

AntonZ

#4 Post by AntonZ »

unsafe8989 wrote:I have a pair of IPR 3000's and you won't believe how strong these amps are for the money and the weight first thing i did was open it.up to make sure I wasn't be tricked.
+1
I have an IPR1600. Feels like an empty shell, stupid light. Tie them down when used outside on a windy day :noob:

Gregory East

#5 Post by Gregory East »

All well and good if you have the extra processor.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

LEVLHED

#6 Post by LEVLHED »

Peavey IPR have onboard 100hz crossover. SLA Pro are flat enough to not need EQ. And you don't need a limiter if you watch what the hell you are doing.
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

jlaw99

#7 Post by jlaw99 »

I'm running a PV-900 and PV-1500 in bi-amp to my Top of the line Axiom speakers in the music room and I think they're great.

unsafe8989

#8 Post by unsafe8989 »

AntonZ wrote:
unsafe8989 wrote:I have a pair of IPR 3000's and you won't believe how strong these amps are for the money and the weight first thing i did was open it.up to make sure I wasn't be tricked.
+1
I have an IPR1600. Feels like an empty shell, stupid light. Tie them down when used outside on a windy day :noob:
Exactly how I feel.

osse

#9 Post by osse »

can't comment on fullrange IPR1600, but I've got one running with 2-4 T30 3012LF and they fit the bill very nice.. Pounds as hell!

Really good sound too, better than the old 50 lbs iron amp I used before(Peavey PV3800)..!

djlivex

#10 Post by djlivex »

Thanks Guys! I was leaning more towards the Carvin since it is made here, and also they have a DSP that can be configured 2in 6 out and I can 1 in 6 out. I am not familiar with the new Peavey IPR's and Peavey owns Crest Audio now and Crest is coming out in the next few weeks with Class D lightweight amps called Pro Lite 2.0 and 2.0 DSP next month or two 3.0 and 3.0 DSP. Maybe I will just wait for the new Crest I we owned before CA12 and it was an awesome amp but very heavy. Try lifting two of those up a staircase, ouch! we did for years but this new amps are lighter and sound better! Thanks Bill for the lighter sub cabs on here 1/2" BB who would have thought . . . :lol:
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

osse

#11 Post by osse »

Yeah, ppl look at these things with scepticism as they are not as thick as ppl are used too, as they could fall apart just by looking at them, altho its them who falls apart as they get to business..

Don't get me wrong my t30s are not light but they sound twice as heavy as they weight..

tcorder

#12 Post by tcorder »

i use an IPR 1600 for foldback and it's great and the lights on it can replace a light show.

mikeratliff

#13 Post by mikeratliff »

I have been using Carvin products for what seems like forever at least 20 years. Excellent stuff and their service is excellent. I currently have a pair of Carvin amps an EQ and speaker control all Carvin spec'ed into an install. You won't be unhappy.

la80vette

#14 Post by la80vette »

I just sent my IPR 3000 back to Peavey for repair. Their was a very low but audible whistle in my SLA pro's that I referenced @ about 2k. This was with no input and attenuators all down. I was told that when you here that sound, it's only a matter of time before you see smoke. Anyway, I pulled out my CS800x to get me through the gig over the weekend. CH A for one T39 and CH B for the pair of SLA's. It didn't have as much power (about 100 watts less per channel) but in my opinion I thought the CS had a nicer sound. I'm already considering replacing the IPR 3000 with a lightweight Carvin DCM1540L. By the way, I love my SLA pro's that Leland Crooks built for me but I would not consider them flat at all. The before and after doing and RTA outside was like night and day. Trying to eq them with a cheap 31 band I found to be very difficult. Especially in the 2-4k region. The cheap Eq's have to wide a Q. A nice 4 or five band parametric might do much better. My driverack solved the problem easily.
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)

la80vette

#15 Post by la80vette »

Other things I don't like about my IPR. No stepped attenuators (the knobs move far to easily). No bridging capabilities. No binding post. The weight is terrific though.
2 SLA PRO (built by Leland)
2 T39 24" 3012LF (built by Leland)
2 Jack 10's (built by Leland)
4 Wedgehorn 8's (built by Leland)
1 XF210 w/Legend 1028 (built by Leland)