PEAVEY IPR 1600

Is this amp OK?
88h88

Re: PEAVEY IPR 1600

#31 Post by 88h88 »

I currently have them hooked up to my floorstanders at home as I've not had a chance to play with them powering my BFM kit, for those though they're immense. In comparison to the previous amp that was powering them it sounds really clear. It might just be me imagining it but whatever, it sounds sweet to me.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

BoostFab

#32 Post by BoostFab »

BrentEvans wrote:I replaced my whole rig (and the one at church) with these. All total I have 10 of them (6 1600s and 4 3000s). Nice and quiet, good power. The 1600 will not do 60v, though. For T39 3012 or Lab, I'd get the 3000... it tops out just below 60v in my tests.
SAC Rig.jpg
Looks like you're not using the DSP version of IPR's; are you doing all the speaker management/processing with in SAC?

MysticMichael

#33 Post by MysticMichael »

Gregory East wrote:As far as I can tell you only buy these for the lightweight power, not for DSP.
This sort of anticipates my noob question:

For all you IPR users, is there any particular reason to buy the DSP-enabled version(s), if you are already planning to use a standalone speaker management module for your system? IOW, are there any particularly valuable features on the DSP-enabled amps that would not typically be handled - and handled effectively - by your rackmounted speaker management module?

To me, paying for DSP capability in both the power amps and the SMM would seem redundant and an unnecessary extra expense. Just curious if I'm viewing the matter accurately...

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake

BrentEvans

#34 Post by BrentEvans »

MysticMichael wrote: To me, paying for DSP capability in both the power amps and the SMM would seem redundant and an unnecessary extra expense. Just curious if I'm viewing the matter accurately...
+1. No need to buy the DSP versions if you already have an outboard DSP (which will likely do the job better).

If you're starting from scratch, it's worth a look... but a DriveRack, Navigator, or Protea is almost always a better buy.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

osse

#35 Post by osse »

Especially as according to the manual some of the models have lower power with the dsp model.. don't know why

LEVLHED

#36 Post by LEVLHED »

I've been using the 3000's for many months. They do their job very well with no complaints.
I bridge two of them @ 4ohm for two pairs of subs. I think they blow away the XTi4000's I was using on the subs before that.
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

Drey Chennells

#37 Post by Drey Chennells »

LEVLHED wrote: I think they blow away the XTi4000's I was using on the subs before that.
How so?
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

LEVLHED

#38 Post by LEVLHED »

The quality and subjective power of the bass is way better. I heard the difference the first time I tried them out, it was totally obvious.

Last summer I let a seasoned sound guy borrow one and do a shootout with what he had. He said the IPR3000 was better on bass than his RMX2450 which I found surprising since I always thought that QSC was a go-to sub amp. He said he was surprised too. I think he picked up a couple IPR1600's after that for monitor duty.
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

Drey Chennells

#39 Post by Drey Chennells »

LEVLHED wrote:The quality and subjective power of the bass is way better. I heard the difference the first time I tried them out, it was totally obvious.

Last summer I let a seasoned sound guy borrow one and do a shootout with what he had. He said the IPR3000 was better on bass than his RMX2450 which I found surprising since I always thought that QSC was a go-to sub amp. He said he was surprised too. I think he picked up a couple IPR1600's after that for monitor duty.
I'm in the amp market again and was jogging between XLS2500 and IPR3000..the RMX2450 is a good standard and for a 7lbs amp to have same or better control is something.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

unsafe8989

#40 Post by unsafe8989 »

LEVLHED wrote:I've been using the 3000's for many months. They do their job very well with no complaints.
I bridge two of them @ 4ohm for two pairs of subs. I think they blow away the XTi4000's I was using on the subs before that.
How are you bridging? Here are a few pics and videos of my IPR's.

www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1414-Ipr-3000

netwerks

#41 Post by netwerks »

LEVLHED wrote:I've been using the 3000's for many months. They do their job very well with no complaints.
What do you get for max volts on your ipr 3000 with 60hz sine before DDT?

I have three xti 4000 and just picked up a IPR DSP 3000. Going to do a shootout. ;)

ncgrove

#42 Post by ncgrove »

If I remember right, I get around 50V on my 1600 before the DDT. Pretty heavy duty stuff.

LouC

#43 Post by LouC »

We have two of the IPR1600's driving our church PA system.http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/Chu ... heWay.html
One handles the OmniTop12's; the other a single Titan 39/Delta12LF and four small 8 ohm stage monitors wired in parallel. Neither amp is running anywhere near max gain, no problems at all with power and or clipping -- they don't even get warm. Using a DriveRack for speaker management. Definitely gaudy as he11, but solid amps, clean, no hassle.

netwerks

#44 Post by netwerks »

I have the Peavey IPR DSP3000 and plan to do some testing over the next week. Interestingly enough Crest is releasing it's sibling pro-lite series. Interested to find more info on the DSP limiter in this model.