Crown XLS for 2xDR200 w/biamp compression horns + 1 Titan 39

Is this amp OK?
el_ingeniero

Crown XLS for 2xDR200 w/biamp compression horns + 1 Titan 39

#1 Post by el_ingeniero »

I play tango music recorded by acoustic orchestras from the 40's, a little less dynamic range than the late 30's swing bands (no horns, no saxophones).

Realistically, i'd be building 2 more dr200s and another T39 relatively soon. If I get any gigs for huge spaces,
I'll need to go up to 8 dr200s and 4 T39s.

Conservatively, I'm thinking I need 2X400W for the highs, 2x900W for the midrange, and 2000W for the subs. If I can afford it, more would be better, I'd like to keep the volume know down to keep the distortion down. Still, that's a boatload of oomph.

I have a driverack PA so I can limit the signal into the amps, and hopefully I can avoid slagging my amp/drivers.

Crown gives a factor of 1.6 x driver wattage for these amps for the type of music I play, but I'd still like more headroom. So more wattage is better form my point of view.

I'm looking long and hard at these Crown XLS series amps. They are inexpensive but still have the 3 year warranty, and if I don't push them past 50%, I think they can hang. If I end up running the full outfit of 8 cabs and 4 T39s, I believe can still get by with 5 amps, all bridged together.

Maybe when I am the king of tango audio in the Midwest I can get more expensive stuff, but is there any compelling reason to go for something more expensive now?