TLAH crossover question

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Fastskiguy

TLAH crossover question

#1 Post by Fastskiguy »

Hello,

I ordered crossover components from speakerhardward and got six 0.15mH coils and two 0.4mH coils and 8uF, 15uF, and 5.1 uF capacitors. I'm using 8 midbass drivers and 12 tweeters.

https://www.parts-express.com/4-Treated ... hm-299-320

https://www.parts-express.com/Goldwood- ... shopping=F

Now…the high pass crossover plans show 5uF and 15uF capacitors and a 0.16mH coil, I seem to have that stuff

but the low pass for 8ohms calls for 0.8mH and 0.3mH coils and a 5uF cap, I have two 0.15mH coils and a 8uF cap.

So…it this what it’s supposed to be? I've emailed them but haven't heard back yet and I'm anxious to hear these speakers make sound! Thanks :)

Joe

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: TLAH crossover question

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The 8 ohm LP calls for a 0.3mH, 0.8mH and 4uF. You can wire the two 0.15mH coils in series to create a 0.3mH. Don't place them close enough to each other that they touch. But as to the rest I have no idea. It looks like you've got some 4 ohm and some 8 ohm parts.

Fastskiguy

#3 Post by Fastskiguy »

OK thanks for the info, I'll shoot'em another email :)

Joe

Fastskiguy

#4 Post by Fastskiguy »

Experiencing a communication blackout from speaker hardware but I'm anxious to make some noise.....is it "safe" to use the high pass crossover (or however you phrase it) for the tweeter array and just hook up midbass line directly? Will I blow anything up if I do that?

Joe

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Fastskiguy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:03 am Experiencing a communication blackout from speaker hardware but I'm anxious to make some noise.....is it "safe" to use the high pass crossover (or however you phrase it) for the tweeter array and just hook up midbass line directly? Will I blow anything up if I do that?

Joe
Won't hurt anything, just won't sound as good as the woofers will be producing some of the same frequencies as the tweeters.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

tallevan

#6 Post by tallevan »

I think you can live without the low pass filter, but it's not optimal.
Nothing will explode, but whatever high frequencies the woofers can reproduce they will, along with the tweeters.
Probably the mid frequency response of the woofer will also change without a LP filter, Bill would know.

An amazing number of commercial speakers actually do this, including every two-way bass cabinet I have ever purchased.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Without the lowpass filter the midbass and tweeters could be fighting each other in the highs, especially if the midbasses are operating in break up mode.

Fastskiguy

#8 Post by Fastskiguy »

OK I'll just build up the high pass side, hook it up, and take a listen. Parts for the low pass are ordered so I should be set up next week :)

Joe

Fastskiguy

#9 Post by Fastskiguy »

It sounds pretty darn good that way and now I'm really looking forward to hearing it done right next week!

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Fastskiguy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:07 pm It sounds pretty darn good that way and now I'm really looking forward to hearing it done right next week!
:clap:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Fastskiguy

#11 Post by Fastskiguy »

Mystery solved! The usual 8 driver TLAH needs a 4 ohm crossover but using those 16 ohm speakers you end up needing an 8 ohm crossover. I ordered the crossover for "an 8 driver TLAH" and was sent the correct components for the usual....4 ohms. But using those "somewhat unusual" (?) 16 ohm drivers I needed the 8 ohm. Bottom line....I was sent the correct stuff for the TLAH with 8 "normal" drivers.

Joe