TLAH + Table Tuba Bits

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
EarnestP

TLAH + Table Tuba Bits

#1 Post by EarnestP »

I just finished building a set of the rectangular cab TLAH's to go with the TT I built about 6 months ago. I love the TT - it's got more than enough with an 8" Dayton driver and 100 watts. Can't really turn it up over 50% without making the CD player or turntable skip. A few notes on the TLAH build:
1. I used the GRS-4FR drivers and I had to up the center to center spacing to 4.5". The frames just touch, but they still fit in the 42" panel.
2. If you use the GT-302 tweeters check them before mounting - I had 2 that were DOA.
3. The TLAH's are a little top heavy. I have them on a carpeted floor and I am going to add a wooden rectangular base to make them more stable.
I have been experimenting with the placement of the TLAH's the last few days and I have to say they are AMAZING!!! Last night I moved them so they are about 6 feet apart and about 12 feet from my couch. When you get in the sweet spot the speakers seem to disappear and sound just envelopes you. It's almost like surround sound, on several tracks on Deja Vu you would swear the drums are behind you. I am not an audiophile, but I have to say these are the best I have ever heard.
I was wondering if there are any more specific suggestions or guidelines on placement. Also, what would be the optimal location for the TT relative to the TLAH's?

Bruce Weldy

Re: TLAH + Table Tuba Bits

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

EarnestP wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:07 pm I am not an audiophile
Congratulations! That means you won't be duped into buying a bunch snake oil crap for way too much money and then have to tell everyone how great is sounds. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."