New GRS driver suitable for an ultra cheap THT?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
JensToft91

Re: New GRS driver suitable for an ultra cheap THT?

#31 Post by JensToft91 »

Seth wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:13 pm Just for reference. Min width 12" THT, Max width 12" THT, and a mid sized TT (not minimum like you've built)

Hi Seth, do you by any chance have a simulation of the minimum width TT?

Seth

#32 Post by Seth »

JensToft91 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 am Hi Seth, do you by any chance have a simulation of the minimum width TT?
Hi Jens,

As far as I know, all the plots in the chart tool are actual measured results and not simulated. Being actual measured results, it's unfortunately a little impractical to have a chart for every driver and width combination. For the TableTuba there is only the MCM loaded 16" width chart available.

Here's the instructions on how to use the charts tool. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to figure it out and you can compare all you like! (within the confines of available charts)
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

JensToft91

#33 Post by JensToft91 »

Makes sense! Thank you.
I've decided to build the slim THTLP whenever I have time.
I don't have the option to go any wider than the slim version, so there's really no point for me to worry about the output. I believe the THT is the best thing I can build at this price point.
Looking forward to the results. I really like the Sound of my TT, and chose it above the 18Hz SVS PC12-NSD. Twice. Sure, it doesn't have the same low-end. But that doesn't really matter, when the sound of the TT is just better.

Seth

#34 Post by Seth »

JensToft91 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:17 pm ...I believe the THT is the best thing I can build at this price point.
Looking forward to the results....
If it's not the best thing under 500€ (maybe twice that, even), I'd like to see what is. And even then, I bet you'll get it assembled for less than 200€.

That driver has sparked my interest. I don't personally have a use for a HT sub, but my cousin was asking about some more modern speakers to replace his old school, wore out Cerwin Vega VS-150's. I bet I could build a complete, ultra premium quality HT system for him (TLAH, SLA center, SLA surrounds, & THT) for very little outlay. The cost of all the drivers is only about $350. Plus the cost of lumber, consumables, crossovers, and accessories... should be $500-$600 total. He has a 5.1 AVR already and I have a spare amp that would suit sub duty well. The price:performance ratio is off the charts!

Thank you for bringing this driver to my/our attention, Jens! :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing and hearing of the results of your project when it comes together too!
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

JensToft91

#35 Post by JensToft91 »

Yep, less than 200 euro. I already have board amp I plan to power it with, so it's only this 60 euro driver and wood.

That home theatre sound incredible!

And you're very welcome! I saw it by pure luck - someone posted about it on another forum, mentioning that it modelled identical to a Dayton driver. Checked the THT specs - and it was the right one. So cool.

I will be sure to post, when I start to build it.👍

Fastskiguy

#36 Post by Fastskiguy »

When it comes to width and the 12" driver...it looks like if you go 14 7/8ths you can get a THTLP out of two sheets of 4X8 plywood....is that 1/8" gonna make a difference? Can you make a THTLP 14 7/8" wide instead of 15?

Joe

ACUA

#37 Post by ACUA »

Something tells me that a 10” driver will start becoming the right move at that narrow a configuration.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Fastskiguy

#38 Post by Fastskiguy »

Is that a thing…..a 10” tht?

ACUA

#39 Post by ACUA »

Throwing Radian under the bus here but I believe that the THT that he has in his home is built narrow, not sure off the top of my head on the width but the driver I believe he has in place is that old awesome but obsolete Eminence 10” version of the Lab driver. From my experience it works amazingly.

Fastskiguy

#40 Post by Fastskiguy »

Oh ok git it.

I guess where I’m coming from is “ultra cheap” isn’t just the driver but the wood too. If you could bang out a couple of these for around $400 that would be fantastic for a small home theater. But to do that you need to build it with two sheets of 4x8 and to do that you need to be a little under 15” width and….thus the question :)

Joe

ACUA

#41 Post by ACUA »

The narrow THT that radian has slams on n his house. After experiencing it on several occasions I’m plenty convinced it is sufficient

Radian

#42 Post by Radian »

ACUA wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:43 pm Throwing Radian under the bus here but I believe that the THT that he has in his home is built narrow, not sure off the top of my head on the width but the driver I believe he has in place is that old awesome but obsolete Eminence 10” version of the Lab driver. From my experience it works amazingly.
That'd be the 12" version of the old DVC series (superseded by the RSS): https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Au ... er-295-185

I had all the intentions of of building two, ending up building one, and ever since have had a very hard time justifying building its mate since this one had successfully pulled the drywall apart of our last apartment, and is currently doing the same to our new place. :twisted: It has no problem getting "stupid" loud.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

ACUA

#43 Post by ACUA »

Oh my mistake I was thinking that you had one of those HL-10c drivers of yours in that THT. My mistake.

Radian

#44 Post by Radian »

No worries bro.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

rob38888

#45 Post by rob38888 »

I finally gathered all of the required materials and supplies to build a THT using this driver. Panels will be 23.5" wide. It's going to be a gift to a good friend. I plan to run it for a few weeks before handing it off to him. It will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the Table Tuba I have in my living room.

I'll throw up a post at some point after I finish it.