Dayton UM8-22 in TAT?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Line92

Dayton UM8-22 in TAT?

#1 Post by Line92 »

Hi! I searched the forum and did not really found what i want.
I am really enjoying my 20" wide GZTW loaded AT, but now im looking for even more bass.
Its in my BMW E61, amp is Massive Audio N2.

I actually did a 14" wide TRT and loaded it with a 12" driver that i had extra, it had good specs and its sounds OK, a real beast below 60hz but does not have the same type of lovely punch, sound and transient response as my AT, but in SPL it outperforms the AT with the same power between 15-50hz.
(Sorry that i broke the plans hehe, i didnt expect it to perform but it did and was a fun build, and a friend of mine borrows it and he is in love with it, he cant stop telling me how good it sounds)
I did try this same 12" driver in a sealed and in a recommended ported box in my car and i would say its useless that way, sounds so bad i wouldnt even use it if i got payed!

The slim GZTW 10F got updated this year and now it has a QTS thats way off, so now i wont be able to do a 2x10 AT with the GZs :( the LS10 and alot of other 10" drivers would fit great but they have lower VD.
(The GZTW have seen some serious abuse and does not bottom out with 23v at 1ohm, and i measure with music around 125-126dBc where my head is, and up to 129dBc 44hz at the windshield) it is still healthy.

To the Question...
Im wondering if the Dayton Ultimax 8 would be a good choice for a quad loaded 44" wide TAT? (Maybe build two dual 22" wide)

The UM8-22 does not perfectly fit the required specs thats in the plans, but will it do any good? The VD is great!
Can i reduce the driver chamber to make it work better in some way? How will the sound be with the specs that are somewhat off? Does the specs make it fit better with say a very slim cab or a wide cab?
Its specs are with the coils in series, it will be in paralell and then series to make a total of 1ohm with 4 drivers.
Will the paralell-series-paralell wiring do anything better with the QTS?
The more use the driver will see, the lower the QTS will be, Dayton does not write how they broke in the driver, or for how long. What could i expect?

Wow thats alot of questions and im sorry if its hard to understand me :lol:

The specs is in the picture attached
Attachments
Screenshot_20210917-093211_Drive.jpg
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
Labgruppen fP6400. fP2400Q. DBX Driverack PA2
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Dayton UM8-22 in TAT?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Qes is far too high. It's a driver made for a sealed box, not a horn.

Line92

#3 Post by Line92 »

Ah okey thanks Bill!
I seen the UM8 be used by a member here in a TRT recently, thats why i thought it might be ok, the TRT was later replaced by some other T-H design, maybe because the driver choice? :lol:

It is impossible to find a really good 8" driver that fits the AT/TAT here in Sweden, EU overall, maybe have to import from the US but then price/delivery time is going to be a issue, i really like the GZTW 10F, damn updates, "impoved Q version" my a** :cussing:

I guess i could build a 44" wide AT with three LS10-44?
It is just more than 14" wide panels per driver, and should outperform a two driver cab as wide?
Any input to that?

Off the record: i personally would love to see a horn designed by you, suitable for car audio with a tilted back end so it will fit most station wagons like mine better, there is almost 6" of room between the box and backseat at the lowest point, would be cool with a slightly bigger/longer AT formed that way with even longer throat to load even lower 8)
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

Line92 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 am ...Off the record: i personally would love to see a horn designed by you, suitable for car audio with a tilted back end so it will fit most station wagons like mine better, there is almost 6" of room between the box and backseat at the lowest point, would be cool with a slightly bigger/longer AT formed that way with even longer throat to load even lower 8)
If you lay it down flat, you can modify the panel 9 side of a Truck Tuba to accommodate the contour of the back seat angle. After mocking up and measuring how much space would exist at the bottom, remove half of that number from the top and add the other half to the bottom's dimension to maintain the internal volume of the horn section. Put the drivers in panel 1 and you should be all set.

I didn't modify the panel 9 side in mine, but will if I ever build another. Four 8's and as wide as the rear seats are tall would be fun!
20200430_155940.jpg
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Rich4349

#5 Post by Rich4349 »

Plus if you finalize construction INSIDE the cabin you MIGHT thwart potential thieves. A friend long ago did this with a bass reflex, and we had to use a car jack against the inside walls of the truck to break the box apart when I bought the drivers. (They were back mounted, as well.)

Personally, though, I would think building a second double would be the fastest, easiest, way to go about it.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Line92 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 am i personally would love to see a horn designed by you, suitable for car audio with a tilted back end so it will fit most station wagons like mine better, there is almost 6" of room between the box and backseat at the lowest point, would be cool with a slightly bigger/longer AT formed that way with even longer throat to load even lower
That configuration either doesn't allow the horn to be long enough or it would have so many angles as to be almost impossible to build. Loading lower isn't necessary in a car. That's how they can used sealed subs with 60Hz F3. Besides that on this side of the pond station wagons are as rare as honest politicians.

Line92

#7 Post by Line92 »

Seth, yeah smart idea!
You should definitly do that to the second TRT :D

But i want to use the regular AT with similar driver that i have now, a 45.5" wide loaded with three tens would fit my E61 perfectly, and use the shopping hatch to load stuff ontop of the box when i need to do that.
I have a old DLS A6 amp i could use, big class AB with 800w++ at 13v 2ohm, it is 1 ohm stable. Would be perfect at 2.6 ohm for three LS10s.

Throwing up a pic of my slightly oversized experiment TRT
Attachments
20210903_131941.jpg
20210908_192918.jpg
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Line92

#8 Post by Line92 »

Rich4349 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 am Plus if you finalize construction INSIDE the cabin you MIGHT thwart potential thieves. A friend long ago did this with a bass reflex, and we had to use a car jack against the inside walls of the truck to break the box apart when I bought the drivers. (They were back mounted, as well.)
Haha that would be a big headache to build, but good idea.
The trunk "visor?" That you can pull out so you cant see whats in the trunk just fits with the AT 👍
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Line92

#9 Post by Line92 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am
Loading lower isn't necessary in a car. That's how they can used sealed subs with 60Hz F3. Besides that on this side of the pond station wagons are as rare as honest politicians.
Yeah that might be true, according to the SPL charts the low end should boost drastically with 3 drivers, and ofc the double cab size.

HAHA! Tho wagons are common here, the politicans use the same :bull: talk :lol:
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT