David MTM spacing with tweeter or ribbon

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Krillin

David MTM spacing with tweeter or ribbon

#1 Post by Krillin »

When using the 5FE120 or similar drivers with the David MTM what is the maximum distance the midwoofers can be to avoid issues?

I have an old pair of Transducer labs 120mm diameter domes I can use and I assume they should work.

However, I am really wondering about how a 6.3"-7" or 160mm-180mm height ribbon/AMT will work in your design. Will lobbing, comb filtering, and directivity be an issue?

Thanks

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: David MTM spacing with tweeter or ribbon

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Space them as tight as possible and don't worry about it. The only way it would be a problem is at very close listening distances.

Krillin

#3 Post by Krillin »

Thanks Bill. I decided to go the long ribbon route and will space them as close as possible.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

FWIW way too much is made of the potential for lobing issues from the midbasses of an MTM. For one thing, they occur on the vertical plane, where they're not generally not going to be heard anyway. More important, when you see doom and gloom polar charts of lobed response they're measured rather close to the speaker. Go back eight to ten feet and those lobes have gone away, as the two wave fronts have integrated into one.