Can I couple two Auto Tubas?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
TomG

Can I couple two Auto Tubas?

#1 Post by TomG »

To make a short story long, I recently acquired a new work truck. Since I spend more time in my work than my personal truck, I want to upgrade the sound system. My personal truck is a small regular cab Toyota Tacoma. Due to size limitations, my only option was to build the Truck Tuba with the smallest possible width. Even with the narrow cabinet, my seat will not go all the way back. Basically, if you are over six feet tall, you are not going to be very comfortable in my truck but you will be treated to some very well defined bass!
Fast forward to my “new” work truck. It is a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with an extended cab. Now I have got plenty of room to go big. Being that I have 59 inches of width for a long cabinet I was thinking about building two Tall Auto Tubas and putting one on each side of drive shaft hump. I was wondering if I have both of the mouths facing each other (about 14” apart) and added a top and back plate to couple the horns together, would it extend my lower frequency response the same way a V coupler works on the larger subs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Can I couple two Auto Tubas?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It won't work like a V plate, so don't bother unless you want to use it as a shelf, but they are close enough to mutually couple, which will significantly improve performance versus one.

TomG

#3 Post by TomG »

Thanks for the advice. It was my plan that laying a shelf across the tops of the subs would give me some nice storage space behind the front seats. Time to make some sawdust!

Radian

#4 Post by Radian »

Where are you located Tom?

ACUA here in Tucson has a couple AT's he's looking to offload after performing the same experiment (multiple AT's stuffed in a truck). Even with shipping, could save you booku time and money.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

TomG

#5 Post by TomG »

I am located in Flagler Beach, Florida. It's on the northeast coast of the state. I already ordered the drivers (the Dayton DCS 255-4's) but the time savings would be nice. Can you give any details about the sizes. They would have to be the tall versions in order to fit on each side of the hump on the floor. I am still playing around with cardboard mock-ups to figure out how wide I can go.