AT 10" driver choice

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Line92

Re: AT 10" driver choice

#31 Post by Line92 »

Now i have tested my Autotuba, only a proper cover and painting left.
This will be some kind of short review of the 3-4 hour testing i have made so far.

I did 3 braces on all the panels but the bottom, it feels really solid!
Did a quick leak test and it does not seem to leak, but i can hear some minor whissling noise, not really leaking blow noise.
I did not sand the edges of the bracing, and the "foam/ooze" from the glue is big and has some sharp edges here and there, it did expand very good and i really doubt that there is any leaks between panels, if it is any sort of leak, it should be from the driver maybe. I will look in to that another time.
Anyway i cant hear the noise when its in the back of my car, performance does not seem to be affected, but then i have nothing to compare to, this is my first BFM horn sub i build👍

On to the testing:
I adjusted the amp and gains so it does not go over 30v at any frequency, not limiter but some kind of protection atleast haha! Wired to 4ohm.
Sub eq off, subsonic (HP) at around 30hz, LP at around 100hz.

And wow! I love this cab, it sounds very big and accurate, real sharp punch in the chest, at the same time it has some really nice depth.
I get some ~6db dip around 45-60hz with a sweep but i think i like that, should be from placement, but i cant have the cab in any other way than it is now in the car.
It is very musical, takes all kind of music and performs perfect, does not miss a beat!
My wife is not a big fan of the old subwoofers that have been in our cars, they dont really catch the correct sound, its like all the beats sounds the same with direct radiators.
This thing brings out the correct sound, basslines, beat and thump so she is in love with it already! Happy wife happy life...

Its alot better sounding that the sealed JL 12 it replaced. But also 3 times bigger.
The maximum output is not crazy or any near deafness ofc, ok it can get really loud and also be correct, but with a proper reflex 12 with like 1kw+ the max spl should be around the same.
This is not a cab for SPL competition as most of you aldready know. (Maybe if you stack 8 of them in the back of a Suburban...)
This is SQL+ with minimum power requirements.
Enjoyable subwoofer.
Thank you Bill for the wonderful design, proper instructions and help from this forum 👍
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
Labgruppen fP6400. fP2400Q. DBX Driverack PA2
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Seth

#32 Post by Seth »

Line92 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:17 pm ...This is not a cab for SPL competition as most of you already know....This is SQL+ with minimum power requirements.
If there was/is such a thing as power limited classes in SPL competitions, the TruckTuba/AutoTuba would be a tough act to beat, up to about 750 watts (or more).

Glad you (and your wife) are enjoying it Linus :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#33 Post by Tom Smit »

Good to hear! Keep enjoying it!

Use a hose, with one end at your ear and the other end moving about all the joins, to test for air leaks 30hz tone is good one to use.
TomS

camp10

#34 Post by camp10 »

"proper reflex 12 with like 1kw+ the max spl" You've tapped into the joys of high efficiency....Horn loaded speakers own this area....Yet high efficiency drivers are still available for direct radiator situations...which still require way less power than a low efficiency car audio speaker... Car audio drivers trade efficiency for small cabinets, (high efficiency PA drivers do not)...yet larger cabinets (and horns) play bass, better.....