Using an 8" MCM for home theatre

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
slavedave

Using an 8" MCM for home theatre

#1 Post by slavedave »

I plan to use the above driver that I removed from a very successful T18 to fashion a sub for our new home. I was planning on using the innards of a Creative Stage soundbar to power the sub and mains - I have gutted a pc speaker system to build a frankenspeaker in the past as well, so I know it works, in theory at least. The sub output on the Creative Stage delivers 40W into 4 ohms and would be more than ample for our use, based on reviews here since we don't watch movies at high levels. The "mains" on the soundbar receive 20W each and I was going to use those feeds to power my hi fi speakers (Q Acoustic 2010i's at 6ohm). I currently use a Lepai mini amp to power those and that is plenty of volume for my needs, and the soundbar outputs nearly twice as much power per channel.
My question is..
I know I can use the MCM to build a TT AND I know Bill has recommended drivers for the THT, but what would be the error of using the MCM in the THT design? Are the larger speakers necessary for frequency response AND power handling? Am I just being dumb?
Being used to the T18 and quite enjoying movies on it, would I even notice the lack of lower frequencies if I built a TT instead of a TT?

If the compromise on drivers is not too great I would rather have a go, and try to see what the MCM sounded like in a THT. If it doesn't work, then I can change the baffle and install the proper driver down the line. But if it is never going to work then the TT is the route for me.

Thank you forum!

AntonZ

Re: Using an 8" MCM for home theatre

#2 Post by AntonZ »

slavedave wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 amwould I even notice the lack of lower frequencies if I built a TT instead of a TT?
I think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference :fruit:

Apologies, I could not resist. I am assuming your question should rather read: "if I built a TT instead of a THT". Can you confirm?
If so, I think that it is a good question and I am also interested to hear the answer to that.

jimbo7

#3 Post by jimbo7 »

slavedave wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 am ...since we don't watch movies at high levels.
I think you'll be fine with building a TT as wide as possible. When you're ready to upgrade to a full-fledged home theater, then you can build the THT. I wouldn't mess with Bill's designs. Using a 8" driver in a THT sounds like putting a lawnmower engine in a truck.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The cone area of an eight inch driver is too small for the THT.

slavedave

#5 Post by slavedave »

Thank you all for your replies - a Table Tuba it is then!