Home Studio with Table Tubas

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Ken Lustgarten

Home Studio with Table Tubas

#1 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Because of covid there are no events happening so I decided to upgrade my studio monitors. 4 3012LF loaded T30's are on the schedule to upgrade my PA but first will be the studio which is something that can be utilized now. My current setup is Presonus Eris E5 XT monitors and a single Presonus Temblor T8 sub. I will use this system at work so that I have something decent to mix with there.

The new system will be a pair of Presonus Scepter S6 active monitors, they are on backorder for about 2 weeks. For the sub I was considering Presonus's T10 but I got the idea to try a pair of Table Tubas instead. Two Daton DCS205-4 8" drivers were ordered and shipped today. They will be built 15" wide and powered by a Crown XTi1000 which I used for monitors in my PA. I know two subs are not needed for more output but they can be useful for evening out the sound.

I use this system for mixing and listening to music. For mixing flat accurate sound is needed. Too much bass in the system will result in a mix being light on bass. On the other hand I like a little extra for enjoyment. There is no reason why this system can't do both. The Daton driver has a paper cone which I prefer for sound quality. It just so happens there are 3 sheets of half inch ply in my garage.

Today I started on a good usable desk. It is 6' long with the left side housing my PC (tower) and the right side support is an equipment rack. I had enough MDF for the 2 boxes and a nice 2' X 6' piece of veneered ply for the top that was left over from a kitchen cabinet build I did a few years ago. Tomorrow I will paint the support cabinets black as well as edge band and clearcoat the top. The desk will be on castors. The room is 9' X 18' with my PC and speakers on one of the short walls. The rest of the room is for a power rack and weights. It is in a very dry finished basement with a cement floor which is covered with horse stall mats. These mats are 3/4" rubber and provide a nice cushion for weights. The room sounds pretty good with no treatment but it could be made even better on the cheap with DIY bass traps in the far corners as well as treating the walls for first reflections.

So what do you think? Am I off the wall for trying table tubas in a home studio?
Last edited by Ken Lustgarten on Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grant Bunter

Re: Home Studio with Table Tubas

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ken Lustgarten wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 pm So what do you think? Am I off the wall for trying table tubas in a home studio?
I guess if it doesn't work, then you have 2 x TT's for somewhere else in the house :)
That's gotta be a win...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Ken Lustgarten

#3 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Grant Bunter wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:15 pm
I guess if it doesn't work, then you have 2 x TT's for somewhere else in the house :)
That's gotta be a win...
They wouldn't be bad in my living room with a pair of sla's. I need mains mounted on the wall. My wife just can't help herself from changing the layout every few weeks and unhooking my speakers :wall: They are a very nice set of a/d/s towers that I have had for a long time. This is part of the reason my studio doubles as my listening room.

Dale Hammer

#4 Post by Dale Hammer »

I would think they would be superb as long as you have room and proper eq. I have a pair in my living room with my SLA setup and they are awesome. Running them on a 60 wpc Hafler D-120. My wife loves our system.
In my office, I run a truck tuba under the desk, and it works great.

Ken Lustgarten

#5 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Dale Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 am I would think they would be superb as long as you have room and proper eq. I have a pair in my living room with my SLA setup and they are awesome. Running them on a 60 wpc Hafler D-120. My wife loves our system.
In my office, I run a truck tuba under the desk, and it works great.

I have a couple of old eq's laying around, a driverack, and a bunch of Crown XTi amps with dsp so I am all set in that department. Of course there is room for the sub in my livingroom. It is more complicated than that. The real question is.... Is there room for my wife and the sub in the livingroom :twisted:

After the studio project and the T30's are done I plan on building a pair of TLAH's for my livingroom. Since they will be permanently mounted on the wall my wife will not be moving them all the time! It will be a perfect place for the second Table Tuba if I don't keep 2 of them in my studio. Since the TT's have a driver opening on one side I HAVE to build a mirror imaged pair. There is no choice in the matter :lol: About 2 years ago Parts Express was having a closeout and I bought all of the drivers needed to make TLAH's, SLA's, curved center and surrounds with some extra, so I am all set. The drivers were dirt cheap. All I need is time, but that is hard to come by.

Dale Hammer

#6 Post by Dale Hammer »

Home Theater.jpg
Mine are long style standing on end. I'm lucky that my wife understands gear. I ask how she wanted to finish them and she said to paint them the wall color, so I did. She also thinks that the Duratex finish on all the other cabinets looks good. We mostly use the room for tv and music, so I know that this setup doesn't work for everyone.

Ken Lustgarten

#7 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Dale Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 pm Home Theater.jpgMine are long style standing on end. I'm lucky that my wife understands gear. I ask how she wanted to finish them and she said to paint them the wall color, so I did. She also thinks that the Duratex finish on all the other cabinets looks good. We mostly use the room for tv and music, so I know that this setup doesn't work for everyone.
That's a nice setup!

Here is what I have to work with. Please excuse the Christmas mess. I would like to build a wall mounted cabinet for the TV that will also hold the center channel. Upper left an right corners for TLAH's and a Tuba in the left corner. And surrounds when I have time. I have a bunch of other projects to do first though.
LV1.jpg
LV2.jpg

Ken Lustgarten

#8 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

I made some progress in the home studio/office project. The desk is completed and installed. The only expense in making it was $32 for a can of black paint that will also get used in several other projects. All of the materials were leftover from other projects. The desk is on wheels for the occasional need to get into the closet that is behind it. Next I will start on the Table Tubas. There is about 18" of space on each side of the desk so 15" TT's should be just about right.

Here are a few before and after pictures. The space doubles as my office and workout room.

Before
Office-1.jpg
Office-2.jpg
After
Office-3.jpg

Dale Hammer

#9 Post by Dale Hammer »

Looks like fun! The projects never end!

Ken Lustgarten

#10 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Two Daton 8" drivers came in today and I cut up three sheets of ply for parts. Hopefully I'll start gluing up a pair of table tubas this weekend.