Help with selecting the correct plan for horn-loaded home stereo.

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Jaybird840

Help with selecting the correct plan for horn-loaded home stereo.

#1 Post by Jaybird840 »

Hi All,
After reading myself into subwoofer oblivion trying to find the best subwoofer to mate with my Klipsch LaScalas, I've landed here. I have a small dedicated listening room that is roughly 11x13 with the LaScalas facing me in the short (11') direction, and my listening position in a chair against the opposite wall. The LaScalas are driven by a low wattage SET tube amplifier, and are magnificent. I will be using a 4th order LR crossover (-24dB) which to my understanding will keep the LaScalas and the subwoofer in phase and time. My system is used only for critical audio listening, no HT at all. What I am after is not chest thumping, window rattling bass, but rather fast, musical, and articulate bass that will supplement the register where the LaScalas begin to roll off--I really don't want anything to rattle. I listen at low/moderate sound levels 98% of the time. The Marchand crossover I just bought has modules for 80Hz and 100Hz crossover which will give me some flexibility. I have no WAF, but don't want to waste space either. The plans that I am considering at this point are either the Tuba 18, the Table Tuba, or a pair of Truck Tubas. If I build the pair of truck tubas, they would match the height/width of the lascalas but I could build them 13" deep and would be placed immediately next to the LaScalas facing me. If I choose the T18 or TT, A single TT or T18 would be placed next to my listening chair if that's the route I go. I have extensive woodworking experience and tools, so construction difficulty does not concern me at all. I'd love to hear your suggestions about which system would best suit my needs. Thanks for the input, and I look forward to the disucussion!

-Jaybird

Seth

Re: Help with selecting the correct plan for horn-loaded home stereo.

#2 Post by Seth »

Hello Jay. Welcome to the party. What type of music do you typically listen to?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Jaybird840

#3 Post by Jaybird840 »

It runs the gamut: Instrumental and vocal jazz, blues, folk, americana.... Even the occasional 80's club hit.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd use Tuba HT or Tuba HT LP. LaScalas are flat to 60Hz, and I don't see the use of a sub that wouldn't add a full octave to that.

Jaybird840

#5 Post by Jaybird840 »

Bill, are the LP plans included with the Tuba HT set? Thank you for the input!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

They're two separate plans.

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!

My vote is for the THTLP. Stand it up in a corner, decorate to fit the decor, and load it with a 12" driver.
Bill made the same suggestion to me a couple of years ago, to use a THT, for the same reason as he mentioned to you.
TomS

guppy87

#8 Post by guppy87 »

But late of a reply but a 36^3 tubaht pairs really well with La Scalas

What did you end up doing/