Table Tuba - optimal driver?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
ejh2854

Table Tuba - optimal driver?

#1 Post by ejh2854 »

Been considering the Table Tuba- it looks well-suited to the current A/V room- and have the plans in hand.

Based on good past experiences with Tang Band the W8-740 was my #1 choice, but PE currently shows them as MOQ 50 pieces with a long lead time :wall:

Bill, or others with TT experience to share: is there a single "optimal" driver that you'd advocate for this horn design, either from those listed in the plans or a newer [something] on the market? I'll likely build 18" wide, no preference of 8" vs. 10" driver, just "best suited".

Still enjoying my LAB12 T39 for outdoor use Image but it's not the right choice for the living room. Thanks for any replies!

Ed

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Table Tuba - optimal driver?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There's no one optimal driver, only a range of optimal specs. If I was building one I'd use the Dayton DCS 255-4 or LS10-44.

ejh2854

#3 Post by ejh2854 »

Exactly what I needed- thanks!

Dale Hammer

#4 Post by Dale Hammer »

I have two table tubas LS, 15" wide in my living room running the Dayton DCS 255. Outstanding after over three years of daily service. Excellent driver for not much money.

Plenty of output with the drivers just loafing along. Each cab on one channel of a 60 watt per channel Hafler amp.

I misspoke, I have the 8" DCS 205 driver in each cab.

ejh2854

#5 Post by ejh2854 »

Thankya Dale! The LS10-44 that Bill mentioned looks intriguing design-wise, but the added ease of installation comes at a cost.

Jaysephus

#6 Post by Jaysephus »

Ed, I'm interested to know what you decide... and your choice of power. The LS-10 is 86.5db efficiency, and is either 2 or 8 ohms. The DCS255 runs at 91db efficiency and is 4 ohms. I've learned from the forum :clap: that the horn adds about 2 ohms of impedance to the system. If your amplifier is 8 0hms-bridged into the LS-10, that would mean a 10 ohm impedance. Would it keep up with the mains?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Driver efficiency isn't measured in dB, sensitivity is. Driver sensitivity in a direct radiator doesn't translate to sensitivity in a horn.Where keeping up is concerned chances are your mains won't keep up with a TT, no matter which driver is used.