How good is sla esp compared to tlah for home theater

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
bluespoet

How good is sla esp compared to tlah for home theater

#1 Post by bluespoet »

I live in a mobile home and sit about 9' from where speakers would be, altho I have plans for the tlah, am thinking of buying the sla plans. I see the SLA advantage is that I can use the curved sla for the center channel and the match the left and right speakers.
I do understand that the tlah has the advantage over the sla in volume, but I am not going to play music or tv audio at huge volumes. In terms of audio quality, and with using a subwoofer for detail and transparency for acoustic music, jazz and video soundtracks is the sla inferior to the tlah? The sla has quite a financial savings too. So other than volume what advantage does the tlah have over the sla?

bluespoet

Re: How good is sla esp compared to tlah for home theater

#2 Post by bluespoet »

I do have a denon home theater receiver, cost about $300 and would love to know a good BF plan to match the tlah or sla home theater system. If you see my discussion from 5 yrs ago on the same subject, ignore since am putting together a home theater system. I have the table tuba and auto tuba plans already.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The TLAH and SLA use the same drivers. I have TLAH mains and SLA CurveArray center.

bluespoet

#4 Post by bluespoet »

Bill
does that mean in terms of sound quality they are equal with the difference being how loud they can get?

bluespoet

#5 Post by bluespoet »

What is a good subwoofer plan match to go with the sla speakers for home theater?

bluespoet

#6 Post by bluespoet »

another way of asking the question when comparing the tlah and sla design, what are the performance advantage besides cost or ease of use. Obviously the tlah gets louder, but maybe one of them is more efficient, maybe they both get loud enough, maybe the sla is simpler to construct? I have both plans now.

Strange Kevin

#7 Post by Strange Kevin »

With your listening position at about 9 feet, I'd say the SLA is good. (See the last paragraph of pg-1)

Having more drivers, the TLAH will be a little more sensitive, but I doubt you'll be using more than five watts with either design before you neighbors start complaining. :)

The "port" on the TLAH helps it play a few frequencies lower than the SLA on their own, but with a sub its not a big factor.

Speaking of subs, the "Table Tuba" is a great option.
On the smaller side, the "Tuba 18" or "Simplexx 15 Sub" may suffice. Or go all the way with a Tuba Home Theater (THT)
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

bluespoet

#8 Post by bluespoet »

I bought the plans for the table tuba, so may go that direction.
thanks for the advice, my questions are answered and as I suspected, I have learned to ask questions since I frequently miss something due to my ignorance and get informed with forums like this.