Curved SLA depth

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
billkatz

Curved SLA depth

#1 Post by billkatz »

I am finally getting back to building my home theater speakers, as part of a home remodel. I plan to finish my TLAHs for right and left, however with a wall-mounted flat screen, the curved SLA seems to stick out farther than I'd like. Is the enclosure volume important? Can it be shortened a bit? Or is a vertical SLA better for a wall mounted installation?

Thanks

-Bill Katz
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Curved SLA depth

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The internal volume of the cab isn't critical, so it can be shortened. Vertical is better, but you'd find it hard to see the action with a speaker in front of the screen.

Rich4349

#3 Post by Rich4349 »

Isn't the curved design of the SLA center to provide crossfiring sound? How would a vertical orientation achieve that?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If you did use an SLA placed vertically for a center, like behind a sonically transparent screen, it would be the straight version.

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Rich4349 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 pm Isn't the curved design of the SLA center to provide crossfiring sound? How would a vertical orientation achieve that?
I think the answer you may be looking for is; as speakers are stacked vertically the vertical dispersion narrows, covering less and less of the floor and ceiling. Flip that on it's side and it covers less from side to side. The curve in the Curved SLA makes up for the inherent effect. A vertical array still maintains wide coverage... Or, something to that effect. I'm no pro. More like a parrot. Monkey see, monkey do. :mrgreen:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

billkatz

#6 Post by billkatz »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:36 pm The internal volume of the cab isn't critical, so it can be shortened. Vertical is better, but you'd find it hard to see the action with a speaker in front of the screen.
Thank you, Bill - that gives me a path to finish my speakers.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

billkatz

#7 Post by billkatz »

Next question - AM I correct to assume that I need gasket tape on the 4 sides before bolting on the bottom?

Cabinet screws every 6" or so?

One observation: I now see that choosing to rear mount the drivers made this a lot harder! I liked the way finished SLAs with rear drivers looked, and did a 3/8" round-over on the driver holes. I then had to build jigs to get the mounting holes in the correct place, and have gone through several iterations of finding the perfect screws (5/8" long is my current answer) that will pull the drivers in, but not poke through the front. This experience has caused me to re-evaluate the TLAHs I have not cut any holes, and will now be front mounting my drivers. I just need a 1 15/16ths Forstner bit.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You do want to gasket tape the bottom joint. Screws every 8 inches will do, there's not much pressure inside these boxes.