What are the truck tuba dimensions?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
mustang guy

What are the truck tuba dimensions?

#1 Post by mustang guy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am

I bought the entire BFM speaker plans CD way back in 2011, and I was considering building a Truck Tuba, but the plans are not included in that CD. I don't want to bother Bill for them because I don't need to have them if the dimensions can't work for my project, so. Can anybody look at their plans and tell me the outside dimensions of the box, with minimum and recommended thicknesses as well?
Currently operating many systems of different sizes. I have all together 32 Klipsch speakers and 29 other speakers. I am very interested in bf products and bought the entire CD of plans. So far, I have built 2 THT's, an Auto Tuba, a T-30 and an XF212.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: What are the truck tuba dimensions?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 am

The front dimension is 24 x 36 inches, and it can be made as shallow as 5 inches, to fit behind the seat of most pickup trucks.
https://billfitzmaurice.info/AutoTruckTuba.html

mustang guy

Re: What are the truck tuba dimensions?

#3 Post by mustang guy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 am

I am planning on building out the rear of my 2 door JK Wrangler with the rear seats removed with cooler, camping gear, etc. I was thinking I could lay this horizontally and deck over it. Years ago I built a 15" wide Autotuba, and I was very impressed. I have a question:

If I do this, what can I expect from the minimum 5" width as compared to the 15" width I have direct experience with?
Currently operating many systems of different sizes. I have all together 32 Klipsch speakers and 29 other speakers. I am very interested in bf products and bought the entire CD of plans. So far, I have built 2 THT's, an Auto Tuba, a T-30 and an XF212.

mustang guy

Update:

#4 Post by mustang guy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:07 pm

I took some measurements, and it looks like the truck tuba will fit. The final height would be 7-1/2", with the mouth facing the back of the front seats. Here is my Jeep:
Image Image

This image shows the seats slid all the way back and fully reclined. The board laying there is 24" X 35", which is a board I had laying in my woodshop. I put it as far back as I could so that the little sub-floor trunk would still open. The upright board is tall enough to make a 8" final height with the seats fully reclined. This means the 7-1/2" tall sub would be under a 1/2" decking board for a final height of 8". Here is a link to a larger version of the image below: https://i.imgur.com/7jc1YSv.jpg
The rear seat foot space area will still be available for such things as jumper cables,etc. The rear cup holders will also be usable.

The picture below shows the sub-floor trunk lifted to a final height of 7-1/2", which is plenty to get in and out of the shallow compartment. Here is a link to a larger version of the image below: https://i.imgur.com/RwME1ox.jpg