Truck and Auto Tuba Drivers

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
mj90210

Truck and Auto Tuba Drivers

#1 Post by mj90210 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello to All!

Is there an updated list of drivers for the Auto Tuba or Truck Tuba? I understand the MCM, Tang Band, and Dayton are still manufactured but I noticed that the JBL and Infinity are no longer available. If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to try reinvent the wheel and try to match specs.

Thanks!
Thank You All for Your Time!!...Really!

Built:
4xDual-30” Tuba 60’s
1x20” THT

DJPhatman

Re: Truck and Auto Tuba Drivers

#2 Post by DJPhatman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:47 pm

It would help us help you if you were to fill in the "Location" part in the "User Control Panel".
mj90210 wrote:Hello to All!

Is there an updated list of drivers for the Auto Tuba or Truck Tuba? I understand the MCM, Tang Band, and Dayton are still manufactured but I noticed that the JBL and Infinity are no longer available. If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to try reinvent the wheel and try to match specs.

Thanks!
If you are in the USA, the listed drivers are the best bang-for-buck drivers for the AT and TT. Especially the MCM. Available from this website for the giant sum of US$27 each, or US$24.30 each when ordered in quantities of 4 or more! You do not need expensive drivers or super high power to achieve vision-blurring bass in a vehicle with an AT or TT.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

mj90210

#3 Post by mj90210 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Location updated!

Thanks for the information. That driver and cab combo must be special...I am more than excited to hear it. I am willing to pay a slight premium on this project hence my original question. Is the 10” driver or upgrading to the TB worth any more sound quality or output? I am planning on using it as a mobile type subwoofer...indoors, shops, vehicles, etc... As silly as it sounds the louder and clearer the better(I know this board sees that all the time)..

Thanks

Built:
4xDual-30” Tuba 60’s
1x20” THT

jimbo7

#4 Post by jimbo7 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 pm

I've used enough MCM drivers to know that it's easier and cheaper to just get the premium driver. Too many spider separations to justify installing them. I found my JBL on ebay direct from H.K.'s seller site. That was luck. If you have the space, by all means go with a 10".

2 rules: 1. Wider is better 2. Air-tight is a MUST
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9-gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
OT12 flat array

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:34 pm

mj90210 wrote:Location updated!

Thanks for the information. That driver and cab combo must be special...I am more than excited to hear it. I am willing to pay a slight premium on this project hence my original question. Is the 10” driver or upgrading to the TB worth any more sound quality or output? I am planning on using it as a mobile type subwoofer...indoors, shops, vehicles, etc... As silly as it sounds the louder and clearer the better(I know this board sees that all the time)..

Thanks
All the designs are special, provided they are used for their intended application.
Will a TrT or an AT work well in the way you want to use it?
Build one and find out.
They will work fantastically in a vehicle, because either will benefit from cabin gain.
That may not be the case anywhere else though.
Because there is no cabin gain...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

mj90210

#6 Post by mj90210 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks again for the info.

I totally understand the intended use’s of the cabs. The TrT SEEMS so easy to build....it makes me want to try it out! I am sure it will get used somewhere...

Built:
4xDual-30” Tuba 60’s
1x20” THT

Keryn O'Shea

#7 Post by Keryn O'Shea » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm

mj90210 wrote: You do not need expensive drivers or super high power to achieve vision-blurring bass in a vehicle with an AT or TT.
+1!
I'll fit this next panel, then off to bed...

Fillenworth

#8 Post by Fillenworth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm

So what is the modern equivalent to the Infiniti 1060w driver since its discontinued.

Or other drivers that work well.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Fillenworth wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm
So what is the modern equivalent to the Infiniti 1060w driver since its discontinued.
One with similar T/S specs.

Fillenworth

#10 Post by Fillenworth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 pm

http://reaudio.com/THIELESPDF/rex10s4_info.pdf

I found this one recommended elsewhere on the forums. don't know what the difference in the specs mean.
Could this driver work.

and if not do you have another recommended 10"
Driver my MCM 8" is getting tired.

Fillenworth

#11 Post by Fillenworth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Also as I'm looking for a replacement which are the most important numbers in the T/S specs to pay attention to.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 pm

The plans are specific, fs 28 to 40Hz, Qts .30 to .50, Vas 15 to 45L, xmax 8mm or more.

DJPhatman

#13 Post by DJPhatman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Fillenworth wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 pm
my MCM 8" is getting tired.
Are you forcing it to do slave labor? :lol: :mrgreen: :hyper:

Drivers do not get "tired". Are you saying that the output is less than it used to be? Check the driver mounting screws. They may have loosened and are causing air leaks around the driver gasket. Besides, how do you plan to widen the driver opening from an 8" opening to a 10" opening?
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:42 pm

My MCM that resides in the first TT ever made is still going strong. I don't try to get out of it what it doesn't have to give.

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm

DJPhatman wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:19 pm
Drivers do not get "tired".
High quality Drivers used properly and not abused in any way will last a while. They do change characteristics and t/s specs slightly over time, but not massively. This does not hold true for drivers made of chineseium, including the MCM drivers. THOSE will have a bit more variance just from age.

THAT SAID, it is fairly common to overdrive non pro drivers without realizing it, and drivers installed in vehicles are subject to all manner of extreme conditions (heat, cold, moisture, etc) which hasten their breakdown. Just one pulse of voltage can cause a driver to sound "Tired". I have six subs in my shop right now that need refines because they went out on a rental and were abused. In this case, the abuse came from a piece of faulty processing gear that sent a nice pop through them... so there wasn't any way to charge for the recones :wall: but nonetheless they still play... but they aren't right and I can't send them out again until I get them fixed.

So... yes... drivers do get 'tired" for a number of reasons. Not everyone treats their gear perfectly, and accidents do happen.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.