Apline SWS-15D2 in a THT?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
jleonard711

Apline SWS-15D2 in a THT?

#1 Post by jleonard711 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:06 pm

I have two Alpine SWS-15D2 drivers that I was going to use for another project, but I scrapped it and now I'm looking for something else to build with them. I'm curious how they would do in a pair of THT's?

I listed the specs below and bolded those that are outlined in the plans, and they do fall within the recommended ranges (Fs & Qts are on the high end, Vas on the low end). And if it will work, any idea on the ideal cabinet width with this driver? And any sacrifices in response or output with this driver compared to some of the other recommended drivers like the LAB15 or the Dayton RSS390 HF-4? I've tried modeling it up in hornresp and comparing the results to the THT, but I still haven't quite gotten a hang of that program yet so I didn't really get anywhere. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

T/S Specs:
Sensitivity: 88.5 dB
Xmax: 15mm
Fs: 27Hz
Vas: 107L (3.78 cu ft)
Qts: 0.48
Qms: 7.69
Qes: 0..51
Re: 3.6 (1.8+1.8)
Le: 4.84
Sd: 779 cm2
Xmech: 64mm
Last edited by jleonard711 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

djamps

Re: Apline SWS-15D2 in a THT?

#2 Post by djamps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:33 am

I'm no where near expert but a couple of things -

If it's within specs (which it is), it will work.

Make sure you can front mount it properly - the beauty ring indicates it's probably not designed for it, but you may be able to hack the ring into a reverse mount gasket.

Make sure it's not too deep.

Being on the high end of the FS and low end of VAS indicates it won't go low as easily, so a wider box may help smooth things out.

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm with djamps on this. According to the install manual, it is a rear-mount only design, making it NFG for a THT. I would suggest you build a pair of single boxes for them, and sell them to someone else. Use the funds from the sales to buy the recommended driver and the highly recommended Baltic birch plywood.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

jleonard711

#4 Post by jleonard711 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I did some Googling and it looks like this driver has been successfully used - and in fact is one of top recommended drivers - in another horn sub design (the Lilwrecker) which also uses front mounting. The recommendation seems to be to just use duct sealer around the original rubber gasketand it'll be airtight.

As for the depth, what is the max depth for the driver? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the plans. I see that the chamber is about 11" deep but is there a minimum distance the rear of the driver needs to be from the back cover? This would be for a THTLP by the way.

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 pm

jleonard711 wrote:As for the depth, what is the max depth for the driver? .....but is there a minimum distance the rear of the driver needs to be from the back cover? This would be for a THTLP by the way.
There needs to be enough room for the driver to not touch on the back side. Other than that, the driver chamber stays as is.
TomS