David placement

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Strange Kevin

David placement

#1 Post by Strange Kevin » Sat May 20, 2017 3:13 am

I'm about 75% done building a pair of David towers for Stereo / Home theater use and got to thinking... (I know, :cop: )
But, If the David is basically an Auto Tuba with a mid-high frequently section stuck to one side...
What am I supposed to do about placement?
"Sub placement is never best where it looks good/ the Mrs likes it, exc..."
Do I put them in the standard left and right chanel positions and hope the subs play nice? :noob:

PS, I'm using the recently updated recommended drivers, Tang Band W8- 740p, Faital Pro 5FE120, Morel CAT 378.
:broke:
Also considering a Bi-Amped version for 5.1 use.

I was really surprised that I couldn't find anything about this in the forms... :feedback:

Grant Bunter

Re: David placement

#2 Post by Grant Bunter » Sat May 20, 2017 4:03 am

Very reasonable question.
How about you give us some room size dimensions.

Fingers crossed that the width of the listening area works out well for corner or wall loading as well, with sufficient room for stereo separation...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat May 20, 2017 7:16 am

Strange Kevin wrote: Do I put them in the standard left and right chanel positions and hope the subs play nice?
That's about it. You can vary the distance from the front and side walls to find the best possible placement, but you'll never get as perfect a result as separate subs and mains can realize. That's the nature of floorstanders, all floorstanders.

Strange Kevin

#4 Post by Strange Kevin » Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured!
Thanks Bill! :D

Currently I'm renting one of the smallest bedrooms imaginable (maybe 10×10) from a friend. Hopefully soon to find something better.

I guess I could put them in the Garage, (20×30) but I don't want to cover them in sawdust! (More cabs to come.) :)

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter » Sun May 21, 2017 3:51 am

Strange Kevin wrote:Currently I'm renting one of the smallest bedrooms imaginable (maybe 10×10) from a friend.
I guess I could put them in the Garage, (20×30) but I don't want to cover them in sawdust! (More cabs to come.) :)
Hey in a 10 x 10 room you can safely put them in each corner, get awesome stereo separation, and heaps of corner loading + cabin gain. Try to not to annoy your house mates to much lol...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...