Dual tht placement?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
mastertee31

Dual tht placement?

#1 Post by mastertee31 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm in the process of finishing off my new theater room and was wondering where I should place my dual 30" wide tht's. The room is approx 12' wide by 27' long with 7.5' ceilings. From what I've read lately, it's been recommended to spread out multiple subs to balance out room modes. (Btw 7.2.4 atmos setup) because the subs are so massive I'm limited as to where I can place them.

I've always been told to do the subwoofer crawl but I don't know how to apply this method with 2 subs spread out nor do I think it's possible since they are massive... once again.

I can either v couple them firing into a wall front and center of room or fire one into the front wall and fire another into the rear left corner of room.

Should I v couple them and the gained output will negate the room modes to acceptable levels or spread them out?

CoronaOperator

Re: Dual tht placement?

#2 Post by CoronaOperator » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 pm

mastertee31 wrote:Should I v couple them and the gained output will negate the room modes to acceptable levels or spread them out?
If you have room modes then increasing the power only makes for a bigger argument. I don't think you will need the increased output, spread them out.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

jimbo7

#3 Post by jimbo7 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:56 am

sub crawl with one and place them in the 2 best spots in the room?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9-gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
OT12 flat array

Rowan611

#4 Post by Rowan611 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:03 pm

mastertee31 wrote:I'm in the process of finishing off my new theater room and was wondering where I should place my dual 30" wide tht's. The room is approx 12' wide by 27' long with 7.5' ceilings. From what I've read lately, it's been recommended to spread out multiple subs to balance out room modes. (Btw 7.2.4 atmos setup) because the subs are so massive I'm limited as to where I can place them.

I've always been told to do the subwoofer crawl but I don't know how to apply this method with 2 subs spread out nor do I think it's possible since they are massive... once again.

I can either v couple them firing into a wall front and center of room or fire one into the front wall and fire another into the rear left corner of room.

Should I v couple them and the gained output will negate the room modes to acceptable levels or spread them out?
This method is a pain, but it's the best way. First, you need REW and a mic. Second, put the THT in the place the sub in one of your corners. Run a few sweep, repeat in the other corners. With two, you can do it in half the time. Or, if you do t have REW or a mic, place the THT in the MLP (just move the furniture out of the way) and play some music with a lot of bass and walk to your corners. Pick the two best places and stick them there. You just won't see a sweep like REW will give you; so you won't see all the bandwidth or see where you have peaks and nulls.

I also wanted to add that I will be doing the exact same thing in a month. So, I realize that my suggestion is a big pain. Have a buddy come over and help.
Marantz 7702mkII| Volt8s | Crown amps | 24" THT x 2 | Panamax 5300PM | LG 65B6 | Oppo 203 | PS4 |

THT Build