TLAH Home theater build.

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Keryn O'Shea

Re: TLAH Home theater build.

#61 Post by Keryn O'Shea » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Scott Brochu wrote:Even though very expensive; In a way I am glad you have had the chance to try different ones and give real honest feedback. Hopefully with your published findings people will also see the light and go straight to what you have found to be #1 to date.
Well said, TLAH's are EPIC!
I'll fit this next panel, then off to bed...

mktheater

#62 Post by mktheater » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 am

I have been experimenting using better quality drivers as well. There is a whole host of options and line arrays IMHO are the way to go, whether HT or two channel.

mktheater

#63 Post by mktheater » Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 am

I am back at it again. I have been experimenting and building cabs and I really want to see if upgraded drivers can give the TLAH another level. It is already at the top but I don’t trust the flimsy tweeters as the motor can fall off from bad glue adhesives and it is just luck of the draw. I want to try some eminence woofers and peerless tweets, maybe Dayton tweets. I really believe the Tlah is a superior design and it begs for higher quality parts just for build quality. Even if it is the same sound it would be worth it. Anyone know of a good combo to try? I do have 3 boxes filled with goldwood parts to build more but I also have the eminence alpha 4 and different types of tweeters. Can I use 8 4 ohm tweets for an 8 ohm load for the crossover to work? I have speakers with Dayton drivers which I think has more clear presentation but the Tlah design still wins. I am just thinking slightly better drivers. I know the plans say better drivers may or may not get better results but I think it might be fun to try.

Keryn O'Shea

#64 Post by Keryn O'Shea » Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm

If you can afford it, go for it man! Agreed about the GT-302's, they are flimsy. Which tweeters are you thinking? Surely somebody will be able to help you with the tweeter load.
I'll fit this next panel, then off to bed...

mktheater

#65 Post by mktheater » Mon May 21, 2018 8:07 pm

I have built a 4 ohm version with peerless square soft domes, the square ones. I really like how the dual ring radiators sound and my next one will be with those.

Jeffrey16

#66 Post by Jeffrey16 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:28 am

Hi MK,

For the standard TLAH, are you using Bill's crossover designed for the Goldwoods? For your modified TLAH, are you using an off the shelf Dayton crossover? If so, mind sharing which one? Thanks.

mktheater

#67 Post by mktheater » Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 am

Yes, I use the TLAHs crossover with original parts and I use a Dayton 4.5k crossover with these. The eminence drivers are full range so I crossed them at a spot where the response was less smooth. These are not even my favorite tweeters, just the ones I had left over. I have enough parts lying around for one more of these and 4 more original TLAH.

mktheater

#68 Post by mktheater » Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 pm

BTW, these were made from 1/2 MDF and weigh in at 32 pounds. That is very light for a standing speaker that could play 125 dB RMS. All the pieces were 1/2 inch, makes things much easier. My old JBL 4675C could play 129 dB and weighed 500 pounds. It could reach 30hz in room though but it was massive. These sound better though and 120 dB will kill our hearing to where Bose will sound great.