TLAH Home theater build.

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
mktheater

Re: TLAH Home theater build.

#46 Post by mktheater » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

I understand that but why do some CD/horn combos that can play extremely loud still sound harsh or not as smooth as these? They can actually play louder if need be than the TLAH. Maybe just the sound of the drivers? I don't think any of my other speakers had high THD as they were all high sensitive monsters.

Drey Chennells

#47 Post by Drey Chennells » Tue May 16, 2017 5:34 pm

mktheater wrote:I understand that but why do some CD/horn combos that can play extremely loud still sound harsh or not as smooth as these?
The use of multiple drivers vs one allows for an inherent smoothing of response. Bill may explain more accurately but as I understand the addition of the multiple overlapping frequency curves evens out total summed response.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

Rich4349

#48 Post by Rich4349 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Is the Eminence 3-8 a viable driver for the SLA / TLAH / curved array? If so, due to its high end, could it replace both drivers and eliminate the crossover?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence- ... --290-4014
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Drey Chennells

#49 Post by Drey Chennells » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Rich4349 wrote:Is the Eminence 3-8 a viable driver for the SLA / TLAH / curved array? If so, due to its high end, could it replace both drivers and eliminate the crossover?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence- ... --290-4014
Bill has approved the use of tweeterless driver configuration for the curved array, while these look suitable, without looking up the plans I can't say if these are among the recommended drivers..
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#50 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Rich4349 wrote:Is the Eminence 3-8 a viable driver for the SLA / TLAH / curved array?
From the SLA plans: The off-axis response won’t be as good as with a tweeter, but adding tweeters would make the cabinet large enough that you might as well use four inch drivers. For the same reason both the upright and horizontal curve array versions use only four drivers. If you have room for the larger four inch driver versions those are what you should use, as they have considerably higher output capacity. The three inch driver versions are best reserved for when WAF over rules SPL.

mktheater

#51 Post by mktheater » Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 am

Ok, so I just ordered from Leland the rest and also the SLA plans for my Atmos speakers. I need to get more binding posts as well. I have found that the blue disconnects from HD work well and can be squeezed just slightly for a tighter fit. Much better than the Lowes version for these drivers. The yellow circle connects work great for the binding post. When I get everything up and running I am going to post like mad with pics on AVS. They really sound that good in a HT. I mean the DRs were great but I needed lots of dsp and these need nothing! I am afraid to measure and mess them up LOL. I screw all my panels since they are hidden behind cloth or screen. I bought 10 pounds of polyfil since it was on sale, lots of left over. What size hole saw should I get for the holes, tweets and woofers. I had Scott cut me my first two but I wanted to try some myself.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#52 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

mktheater wrote:Ok, so I just ordered from Leland the rest and also the SLA plans for my Atmos speakers.
Be sure to try both axis before mounting them permanently, due to the dispersion pattern. It won't be really pronounced with four drivers, but you'll still probably have a preference.

mktheater

#53 Post by mktheater » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am

I was thinking of placing them horizontal across the ceiling at the proper Atmos positions. This way I would get the horizontal dispersion front to back of the theater rather than left to right.

mktheater

#54 Post by mktheater » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am

I am looking for the tweeter wiring and don't see them, are they in the plans? I see all the woofer variations.

DJPhatman

#55 Post by DJPhatman » Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 pm

mktheater wrote:I was thinking of placing them horizontal across the ceiling at the proper Atmos positions. This way I would get the horizontal dispersion front to back of the theater rather than left to right.
I would suggest a curved SLA, if this is your choice of orientation.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

mktheater

#56 Post by mktheater » Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 am

They will be angled or in a diagonal, not perpendicular.

mktheater

#57 Post by mktheater » Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 pm

I just performed a mini speaker shootout and here are my results for my room and of course my opinion. This is sitting 12 feet away.

1. TLAH
2. DIY JBL(2447/2352 horn/2035)
3. DR-250 melded Array
4. berry 215xl
5. CHT SHO-10

The TLAH are really awesome in my room. Bill, these are fantastic! The line array puts out a huge soundstage even close range and my back row of seats are just about as loud. I can't wait to build more!

mktheater

#58 Post by mktheater » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 am

I had some friends comment that my theater in 2 channel with the TLAH sounds better than some of the 7.1 systems I have owned. All my systems were no slouches either! I have owned $200 per speaker to $3500 per speaker in here.

Scott Brochu

#59 Post by Scott Brochu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 am

Even though very expensive; In a way I am glad you have had the chance to try different ones and give real honest feedback. Hopefully with your published findings people will also see the light and go straight to what you have found to be #1 to date. :loler:
Got to have more pictures :hyper:
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

mktheater

#60 Post by mktheater » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm

I will, once I receive the drivers.