THTLP Width and Mouth

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
mj90210

THTLP Width and Mouth

#1 Post by mj90210 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Salutations! New to the forum and to the art of sound! Below is brief summary of my setup with my specific questions following. Thanks for your time!

Goal: Clear, LOUD, and pounding sound, mainly for music of all genres with emphasis on EDM with occasional movies.

Room: Basement-concrete, carpeted floor, drywall, 13'x16'x7', 5ft open entrance, LP is 10' from mains centered on the 16' wall, with the rear wall right behind the LP.

Mains: Klispch RF-7 or Klispch Forte II

Subwoofer: 2-THTLP or THT and THTLP

My questions are:

If I intend to build the THTLP's upright would I benefit more from the front mouth or end mouth? If end mouth, figure on the mouth pointed up or build a riser to for the mouth pointing downward?

Could or would this scenario make sense. Behind the wall of the mains I have the ability to place one THTLP with the mouth exiting 2ft left of the LEFT MAIN in the existing wall. Would this location fight with LEFT MAIN considering the RF-7's have to ports in the rear OR the Forte's have a 15” passive radiator in the rear?

With my goal in mind where is the diminishing returns on cabinet width or a possibly minimum driver size recommendation?

I am not a complete audiophile...yet but I have taken the time to read on this website and others for quite some time. I am just looking for your honest opinion's and information!

Thanks a Ton!
Thank You All for Your Time!!...Really!

Built:
4xDual-30” Tuba 60’s
1x20” THT

DJPhatman

Re: THTLP Width and Mouth

#2 Post by DJPhatman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Skip the THT and instead build a pair of Table Tubas. 30hz with authority, perfect for EDM, not super large, handles the occasional HT experience. Use the Tang Band or Infinity driver.

Have you already invested in the Klipschs? If not, consider Bill's SLA or TLAH instead. In your concrete environment, sound pattern control is winner, winner, chicken dinner. JMHO.

As far as where to locate the sub, that will be determined by the room. Where the sub looks the best, or where you need it to be, are not necessarily the best place for them to be. What ever system you put together, be flexible on where to put the subs. Building 2 subs, for a room that small, is strictly to even out the in-room response, not for added volume.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

mj90210

Re: THTLP Width and Mouth

#3 Post by mj90210 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks for the reply DJPhatman. I have read a some reviews and suggestions of the TT over the THT for music only...and then some for the THT over the TT for heavy, lower-er EDM type music...The suggestion isn't ruled out though!

I do own both sets of Klipsch's but the SLA's and TLAH's intrigue me...I am waiting on my CD to see the parts list..

I am open to the location(s) of the sub and willing to do modifications to the room. I just want to get the best “bang” as far as the width's go and mouth orientations.. I have a couple decent ported subs now and feel I would need two to fill out the room.

Thanks!
Thank You All for Your Time!!...Really!

Built:
4xDual-30” Tuba 60’s
1x20” THT