SLA Pro horizontal dispersion?

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
kdrums

SLA Pro horizontal dispersion?

#1 Post by kdrums » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:09 pm

This may be a stupid question but what is the horizontal dispersion on these cabs?

Grant Bunter

Re: SLA Pro horizontal dispersion?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:09 pm

kdrums wrote:This may be a stupid question but what is the horizontal dispersion on these cabs?
I can't find anything about that, anywhere, when searching.
So I'll ballpark it.
I would think it will be as good as, if not better than, most normal commercial offerings.
Which means greater than 90 degrees.
So let's say 100 degrees....
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 pm

kdrums wrote:This may be a stupid question but what is the horizontal dispersion on these cabs?
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:For larger gigs they can be stacked, in both straight and spiral array configurations, for either maximum throw or maximum horizontal dispersion.
90 degrees to 360 degrees, depending on the array configuration. It's (probably) in the plans. 8)
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm

A lot wider than a single driver cab capable of the same output, as that single driver would have to be larger. The smaller the driver the wider the dispersion.

kdrums

#5 Post by kdrums » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank you Grant. That makes sense. Most commercial column cabs I have used over the past few years have been exactly around that. Usually 90 or less. So I would be happy if this little guy pulls off 90-100. I Just bought my plans for these.

kdrums

#6 Post by kdrums » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:30 pm

DJPhatman wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:For larger gigs they can be stacked, in both straight and spiral array configurations, for either maximum throw or maximum horizontal dispersion.
90 degrees to 360 degrees, depending on the array configuration. It's (probably) in the plans. 8)

Awesome. I want some. I am going to likely push this build in front of my other plans. A little more my speed as a first time builder and fits my immediate needs for some upcoming shows. :D

jimbo7

#7 Post by jimbo7 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:40 pm

FYI- The SLA (HT) was the hardest build I've done yet because of the math/measuring needed for different size drivers, number of jigsaw cut driver holes, and wiring/soldering. They're not perfect or pretty, but sound really good. Took the longest to build, too. Sticking to the plans is a commandment here.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9-gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array

Rich4349

#8 Post by Rich4349 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:A lot wider than a single driver cab capable of the same output, as that single driver would have to be larger. The smaller the driver the wider the dispersion.
So why not offer a 2+ driver option in the DR series? Does the presence of the horn affect the dispersion of the mid driver?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Rich4349 wrote: So why not offer a 2+ driver option in the DR series?
If you want the widest dispersion DR horn build a DR200. If one's not loud enough stack two, or more.

BrentEvans

#10 Post by BrentEvans » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:06 am

Rich4349 wrote:
So why not offer a 2+ driver option in the DR series? Does the presence of the horn affect the dispersion of the mid driver?
Have you looked at the DR internals? A dually seems like it would become crazy complicated, and it would surely change the whole interior geometry. It wouldn't be the same cab, unless you just duplicate everything.... Which is easier to do in a separate cab.

And... If your venue is big enough to need more than two or three 200s, you probably don't need the dispersion of the 200 and should be building something bigger anyway.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Skeem

#11 Post by Skeem » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 pm

I have another question about dispersion with the SLA Pro. I have built a set of 4x6 and a set of 2x2 SLA Pro's. I wanted to know the dispersion from the piezo arrays specifically. Seeing that the horn lenses are positioned vertically, how does that effect both horizontal and vertical dispersion in the upper frequencies. I assume that being vertically stacked they take on properties of a line array.

I love my SLA's! I use them along with a set of 15" wide Lab 12 loaded T39 subwoofers. I use them for DJ'ing at corporate events, weddings, and some bar gigs. They have provided me with a very scalable system that truly outperforms anything in this size/weight category.

While setting up at a gig last Saturday, I had a sound tech for the production company compliment the build quality and finish of my cabs. He was interested in what they were and was impressed by the finished product. While talking about the designs and components used, he asked about how the dispersion worked with the piezo's. I did not have a definitive answer, and I told him I can only assume that they are designed for wide horizontal and narrow vertical dispersion. He agreed that the woofers would behave as a line array, but was not completely sold as to how the piezo's would behave with the horn lenses pisitioned vertically.

I know that the large piezo arrays of the DR's have excellent off axis response, but how do the 6 Element arrays of the SLA Pro compare? With my cabinets stacked, technically makes 8 piezo's stacked. Can anyone spread some knowledge to me?

Thanks,

Chauncey

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Skeem wrote: Seeing that the horn lenses are positioned vertically, how does that effect both horizontal and vertical dispersion in the upper frequencies.
The orientation of the individual elements doesn't matter. The orientation of the entire array does, and it works as a line array.
He agreed that the woofers would behave as a line array, but was not completely sold as to how the piezo's would behave with the horn lenses pisitioned vertically.
He must not have ever seen one of these.

Skeem

#13 Post by Skeem » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks Bill!