Low power spl bass setup in truck

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
ACUA

Re: Low power spl bass setup in truck

#46 Post by ACUA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm

I completed a second AT for my truck build today. Put it in my truck and it’s pretty loud!!!! I am excited to finish up the third cab. Bass totally drowns out my mids and highs but the low frequency extension is amazing it plays as low as any 18” driver setup I ever had in this truck. I have achieved a loudness or intensity level that causes a lot of noise from the vehicle which takes away from the hifi attempts. I have three layers of dampener in the roof and a layer in the doors of the truck but Thats not helping the panels and such..

The plexi doors are rigid as I would hope for so super happy about that. Not sure why but being able to see the driver move in relation to the sound I hear makes it easier for me to feel good about a peak output gain setting. The guess seeing the driver flop like crazy helps ensure I’m getting the most out the driver!!!

Position in the truck matters I put just one cab in a few places and I have had the horn unload and sound like garbage I have also placed it in other places and got a lot of gain and low end extension this is not new to me exactly but for the sake of saying it, I observed in certain positions a severe amount of unload at first it was alarming but I moved the cab and the spl cape back. Scared me for a second....

Tonight I hope to have the third cab completed.
I will again say that the modified build method I used works but not really any huge benefit over all, required more glue, three times the cuts and three times the room for error. In the future I will stick to the plans....
Advanced concepts underground audio

ACUA

#47 Post by ACUA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 pm

I finished up the third AT today. Put it in my truck. So three 19”wide ATs with Dayton dcs-255 drivers. The amp is a kicker 750.1. This setup is almost as loud as when I had a ddaudio 9518 18” sub with an 8cuft box on a 2kw amp. I had dual alternators and could pop a 140amp fuse to the amp. That setup cost me easily $3000 for everything in the subwoofer setup.

This current setup is like 400watt totals consumption, it still out runs the mids and highs and cost me less then $400 for the drivers and material for the horns. I am running off stock electrical and can play it hard with the engine off which I could not do when I was running the monster 18” subwoofer.

No joke guys three 10” drivers on a 750watt amp only pushing 400w is slamming my truck. The bass is the cleanest I have ever had. In order to make this bass systems work I have it low passed at 50hz so that it can somewhat blend with the mid range drivers and then when I put in a bass heavy track that digs down low I can destroy.

This setup is not hifi, not at all. Because of the bass bias any rock/metal sounds muddy. I can tune it to be correct mind you but the goal was highest spl in the 50hz and below region.

these tracks through the system get stupid real quick I love it!!!

stanky leg- gs boys
Rake it up - Yo Gotti
Lemon - N.E.R.D
FEFE - 6ix9ine
Come get her - Rae Sremmurd
Juice box - Gorrila Zoe
Rolex - Ayo &Teo
I’m a mess - bebe Rexha
Beautiful freakshow - dean brody
Coming in hot - Hollywood undead

SethRocksYou

#48 Post by SethRocksYou » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Man, that is so awesome! Congrats on the completion and success :thumbsup: You might even try high passing it at 40, see if a 24dB is too much. Would be great to have 2 high passes, one to tame the rising response of the horn and the other to transition into the mids. But, I'm not aware of any hardware that offers the option.

Too cool. Congrats again

ACUA

#49 Post by ACUA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 am

I tinkered a little with the setting today I can low pass at 80hz 24dbslope, and dial it back and get a good crisp tight bass out of it. It’s nice!!! I can do what I said earlier and lowpass at 50hz 12dbsloped and do some has heavy bass track playback and slam the truck. Just what I think will make me fit into that car audio scene I talked about in the beginning. With a little luck I may build and sell some subwoofers to these guys in the future!

I can double low pass first off the active head unit filter and again on the amp itself but I am slow to do that for some reason. I eq-ed the system up a bit still pending hitting it with REW, as I have 5 peq function on my headunit. I got it sounding pretty good but at peak bass output the highs/mids are mush as above stated and expected. Still happy about the performance of this stuff, the guys I know have a term lab mic and I will hopefully measure the peak spl and clamp the electrical to see what is actually happening! No one likes being out done at their own game but I am hopping to shock these guys with my odd low power setup!!!

Thanks to all for the comments and support.

Tom Smit

#50 Post by Tom Smit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 am

Heheheh, that's my kind of thinking....low power....underdog...type thing, but, blow 'em out of the water!
TomS

88h88

#51 Post by 88h88 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am

You'll certainly ruffle a few feathers with a low dollar, low power setup because most people think you need to spend loads of cash to be the top dog which is even funnier when you're aiming for single frequency farts of bass for a few seconds at best.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

SethRocksYou

#52 Post by SethRocksYou » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Tom Smit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 am
Heheheh, that's my kind of thinking....low power....underdog...type thing, but, blow 'em out of the water!
Completely. Me too :thumbsup:

Grant Bunter

#53 Post by Grant Bunter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:31 pm

ACUA wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 am
I tinkered a little with the setting today I can low pass at 80hz 24dbslope, and dial it back and get a good crisp tight bass out of it. It’s nice!!! I can do what I said earlier and lowpass at 50hz 12dbsloped and do some has heavy bass track playback and slam the truck. Just what I think will make me fit into that car audio scene I talked about in the beginning.
I can double low pass first off the active head unit filter and again on the amp itself but I am slow to do that for some reason. I eq-ed the system up a bit still pending hitting it with REW, as I have 5 peq function on my headunit. I got it sounding pretty good but at peak bass output the highs/mids are mush as above stated and expected. Still happy about the performance of this stuff, the guys I know have a term lab mic and I will hopefully measure the peak spl and clamp the electrical to see what is actually happening! No one likes being out done at their own game but I am hopping to shock these guys with my odd low power setup!!!

Thanks to all for the comments and support.
:clap:
ACUA wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 am
With a little luck I may build and sell some subwoofers to these guys in the future!
Oooo a new potential authorised builder?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans. 2 more under way with CD horn
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...