Which Plans for Theater? - Help Quick Before My Wife Changes Her Mind

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Galgo1

Which Plans for Theater? - Help Quick Before My Wife Changes Her Mind

#1 Post by Galgo1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello All,

I've been lurking for a long time. Ever since I heard my friends theater with BFM equipment I've been dreaming, planning, and scheming. I got married a little over a year ago and immediately got to remodeling a house my wife already owned. Long story short, the front room ended up being perfect for tiered theater seating and my wife was even excited to do it!! The room is about 17'x25' but has attached to it is a kitchen and hallway that leads to bedrooms. I know it isn't ideal, but it will have to do. I wired the room for 7.1, and installed an electric 110" projector screen with an Epson Home Cinema 3500. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR646. I'm happy to buy something like a Mini DSP if needed for the sub.

I am leaning towards the TLAH for L/R, Curved SLA for Center, SLA based surrounds, and a THT 24" wide for the sub. I have attached a floor plan and picture of the room from before the remodel was completely finished. I've also provided a link to a youtube video of the screen in action. I like to listen at moderate levels usually but I want plenty of power to blast me out of my seat if wanted. If someone could give recommendations for which plans I should get that would be very helpful. Also, I am some what concerned as to which location I could/should place the sub. It is somewhat limited. I am not opposed to using two subs, but I am not sure if it is ok to mix and match a THT and a THTLP. I am mostly concerned about Room nodes caused by the distance from the back wall to the listening positions. Any thoughts on these concerns would also be very appreciated. Thank you much!!

https://youtu.be/X8oSzDNiqIo

The section of the room toward the top is two steps lower than the section toward the bottom. The red X's denote where speaker wiring drops are. The ones that are in the wall are physically mounted on the wall. The ones out into the room a bit are physically in the ceiling. "1" is where a 36x36x24 THT would sit. "2" is where it would be possible to put a THTLP, most likely as a second sub to smooth room nodes.
Floor Plan.jpg
IMG_9696.JPG
Last edited by Galgo1 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Which Plans for Theater? - Help Quick Before My Wife Changes Her Mind

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm

I have TLAH L/R, SLA curved center, small wedge surrounds that are in the SLA plans, and a TT. THT calls for a very tolerant wife. Response of THT and THTLP is the same. Reponse of TT and TTLS is the same. The only cure for the distance from the rear wall to the LP is to put a sub on the rear wall.

Galgo1

#3 Post by Galgo1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm
I have TLAH L/R, SLA curved center, small wedge surrounds that are in the SLA plans, and a TT. THT calls for a very tolerant wife. Response of THT and THTLP is the same. Reponse of TT and TTLS is the same. The only cure for the distance from the rear wall to the LP is to put a sub on the rear wall.
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill! So far my wife is ok with both a large and loud sub, it just has to look like a coffee table when I am done. Do I understand your reply correctly that you are saying it's ok to mix a THT with a THTLP?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Same speaker, different shape.

Galgo1

#5 Post by Galgo1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 am

I bought the plans and started looking at drivers. I found a couple that I think will work but would like some feedback. I chose the ones below because I liked the way they looked. If they wont sound good, I will buy the recommended Goldwood.

What effect does a 3" driver have on a TLAH? Will it not go as low? The HiVi 3" driver below has the right spec's but it is a 3". I know the plans say it would be ok to go smaller than 4" but I'm curious what that will do to the sound.

What effect does a lower Fs have? The 4" is close and only the Fs is lower than the recommended.

Specs:

HiVi B3S 3" Shielded Aluminum Driver Square Frame https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-b3s- ... e--297-427

Magnesium/aluminum alloy concave cones and square frames are the distinguishing features of the BS series. The B3S 3" full-range speaker's magnetically shielded design allows use in center channel and other multimedia applications. HiVi's Symmetric Motor Drive (SMD) technology reduces the voice coil's inductance modulation and back EMF, thereby improving the speaker's controllabilty and achieving impressively low distortion. Stamped steel frame and rubber surround. These drivers are capable of covering a wide portion of the audio spectrum, and are easy to install without the need for cutting complicated driver recesses.

Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter3"
Power Handling (RMS)15 Watts

Power Handling (max)30 Watts
Impedance8 ohms

Frequency Response300 to 15,000 Hz
Sensitivity82 dB 2.83V/1m

Voice Coil Diameter0.75"

Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs)100 Hz
DC Resistance (Re)6.5 ohms

Mechanical Q (Qms)3.75
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)1.15

Total Q (Qts)0.88
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.04 ft.³

Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.99 mm/N
BL Product (BL)3.06 Tm

Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)2.6g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)3 mm

Surface Area of Cone (Sd)30 cm²

HiVi M4N 4" Aluminum / Magnesium Midbass
https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-m4n- ... s--297-434

A shielded magnet structure allows the HiVi M4N 4" full-range speaker to be incorporated easily into audio/video applications. The driver may be used in a small closed box as a midrange unit in a three-way system and the good extension (70 Hz) in a vented enclosure allows for use in a 2-way two-driver or MTM configured system. Stamped steel frame, magnesium/aluminum ally cone, optimized magnetic circuit, and high temperature CCAW voice coil.

Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter4"
Power Handling (RMS)15 Watts

Power Handling (max)30 Watts
Impedance8 ohms

Frequency Response69 to 8,000 Hz
Sensitivity82 dB 2.83V/1m

Voice Coil Diameter0.875"

Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs)69 Hz
DC Resistance (Re)6.5 ohms

Mechanical Q (Qms)5.9
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)1.35

Total Q (Qts)1.08
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.16 ft.³

Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)1.28 mm/N
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)4.8g

Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)3 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)53 cm²

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 am

A smaller driver will usually have less output capability. A valid reason to go with a smaller driver is when it has adequate high frequency response to go without a tweeter, but that HiVi driver doesn't.

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Bill, would this P.E. close-out driver work?

4" Treated Paper Cone Woofer 16 Ohm

Thiele-Small Parameters

Resonant Frequency (Fs)107Hz
DC Resistance (Re)11.89 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.97 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)2.48
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)1.10
Total Q (Qts)0.76
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.099 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.694 mm/N
BL Product (BL)4.81 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)3.18g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)1 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)53.47 cm²

I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm

It looks fine, you'll just have to get the wiring right impedance wise.

Galgo1

#9 Post by Galgo1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Nice find DJ!

I have seen a few builds on here with solid wood baffles. I was thinking something like Curly Maple or Jatoba would look nice. My concern is that it could develop cracks between the drivers. Is it possible to keep this from happening? If so, how?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Make sure the wood is fully seasoned. If in doubt epoxy a layer of pre-preg fiber glass or carbon fiber on the inside.