Faulty DCX2496

The hows and whys of running sound.
Nordskov

Re: Faulty DCX2496

#16 Post by Nordskov »

Sorry djtecthreat, I have being on holiday for a week.

The unit died running idle in our practice room at the school where I'm teaching. Nothing was attached to it. It was sitting in our amp rack.
The power is very stable (modern industrial-like installation) so I don't think the cause lies here.

djtecthreat

#17 Post by djtecthreat »

Nords,

I wasn't thinking it was a power issue, I was just trying to make sense of how it failed. I have quite a few of these in various installations and in my own rig and they're pretty reliable.

I'm not saying they're bulletproof, I know there's been a slew of problems with these- but speaking from my own experience they've been ok. I've had a couple out of box failures, but nothing while they were running.
DJ TecThreat
-Building-
8 More T48's

-Built-
11 T48 @ 24" 3015LF ( Using 8 )
8 OTop12 - Thread after they were built. & Review, using them w/o subs.
4 SLA Pro's
"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." - R.R.

Nordskov

#18 Post by Nordskov »

I haven't come any closer to a solution, so I have abandoned it as a repair will cost more than half of a new item.

Thanks for your help everybody.

slyslam

#19 Post by slyslam »

Nordskov wrote:I haven't come any closer to a solution, so I have abandoned it as a repair will cost more than half of a new item.

Thanks for your help everybody.
I had same kind of issue with a DEQ2496.My problem was intermittent but the last time I got the problem, I resolded some ground wires on the output jack board and so far problem solved.

If your problem is like mine, the units powers on but the display shows nothing. There is two small relays on the left side of the board (see the two small Bestar relay on your first picture). Look at the ground wires, I found very cheap soldering on mine. I just put new wires and secured them.

myn

#20 Post by myn »

I recall seeing a large thread on a forum, I forget where though. In most of the failure cases the root cause was a bad ribbon cable.

bgavin

#21 Post by bgavin »

I've heard this was a common problem on Mackie mixers also.
Perhaps it would be a good winter project to find one of these dead for a cheap price, and attempt the repairs.
Judging by the photos provided, the caps are easily replaced and the guts are serviceable.

What I don't know, is if the design itself is limited or degraded.
Case in point is the Ampeg SVP-Pro bass preamp I picked up.
I was surprised to see premium components on the boards, only to find the design itself is lacking and poorly executed.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.