Opinions on setting FX sends/returns

The hows and whys of running sound.
Dan56

Opinions on setting FX sends/returns

#1 Post by Dan56 »

Hi,

I was just wondering what is standard, normal or opinion on setting the send and returns on the FX bus. Not the channel feed to the FX but the send and return for the FX. I usually set the send to 0 and then use the return to set the level into the Mains.

I ask, because I am now transitioning to a digital mixer and obviously do not have the concern (I think) of over driving the effect unit as with my current analog setup.

Grant Bunter

Re: Opinions on setting FX sends/returns

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Unless I'm running out of channel strips, I try wherever possible to put my returns back to channel strips rather than FX return section of the mixer.

Better EQ, more control with channel strip faders and so on. Faders to 0 when in use, channel strip gain as required. Just drop the faders out when someone is talking.

Output (eg Aux 1) set to max.

Not sure why you would be overdriving your FX unit itself though.
Can't you control input or output levels on your FX?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Dan56

#3 Post by Dan56 »

Grant Bunter wrote:Unless I'm running out of channel strips, I try wherever possible to put my returns back to channel strips rather than FX return section of the mixer.

Better EQ, more control with channel strip faders and so on. Faders to 0 when in use, channel strip gain as required. Just drop the faders out when someone is talking.

Output (eg Aux 1) set to max.

Not sure why you would be overdriving your FX unit itself though.
Can't you control input or output levels on your FX?
Hi Grant how's life (your friend from RI).

On my Allen & Heath GL2400 I do it just as you say. I don't overdrive the effects unit and the Behringer V-verb and Lexicon 200 both have input level adjustments. But, the new digital unit (Behringer XR18) had built in effects. The software that models an analog board has FX send and return faders just like the analog boards. But, no actual routing the effect back to a channel strip. So, I was just wondering if there was a standard way of setting those 2 faders.

Is it better to keep the send at unity and control the amount of effect to the mains via the return or do it the opposite. As it is I use the return to control the overall effects to the main. So, yes just kill the fader when I need to kill the effects or punch the mute.

NukePooch

#4 Post by NukePooch »

I would always use the return... Digital doesn't change that.
I pulled up the PC version of the XR18 software...I'd definitely mix with the FX1-FX4 returns...it's the only way to go.
If you've got 6 vocalists going into FX1 Reverb, for instance, you want to kill them all with one fader. In addition, you could dump all (or some) of the FX returns into one DCA, and control them all with one fader...It's how I run with my X32 Rack. I've got reverb and delay on vocals, controlled with one DCA.

The only thing to watch out for is overdriving anything digital. Digital distortion is all kinds of nasty, and you'll know it when you do. You shouldn't have a problem, though...keep around unity and you'll be golden.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Dan56

#5 Post by Dan56 »

NukePooch wrote:I would always use the return... Digital doesn't change that.
I pulled up the PC version of the XR18 software...I'd definitely mix with the FX1-FX4 returns...it's the only way to go.
If you've got 6 vocalists going into FX1 Reverb, for instance, you want to kill them all with one fader. In addition, you could dump all (or some) of the FX returns into one DCA, and control them all with one fader...It's how I run with my X32 Rack. I've got reverb and delay on vocals, controlled with one DCA.

The only thing to watch out for is overdriving anything digital. Digital distortion is all kinds of nasty, and you'll know it when you do. You shouldn't have a problem, though...keep around unity and you'll be golden.

Thanks Nuke. I actually run 2 reverbs and a delay to get my overall "echo" so I have assigned them to a DCA. I used the returns on the Allen & Heath. But, I just figured I would ask to see if there was a difference or a standard practice regarding using sends or returns.