DCX 2496 annoying problem..

The hows and whys of running sound.
commander_dan

DCX 2496 annoying problem..

#1 Post by commander_dan »

So a few weeks back my DCX wigged out on me and wiped all of my stored presets :cussing: I have since re tuned my system in my DJ room at home (my current tops need a lot of EQ) but as you can imagine, not knowing what caused this to happen in the first place has shaken my confidence in the unit somewhat. So to be prepared for possible recurrence of this issue, I've decided to pick up an SD card for backing up stored presets, since it takes PCMCIA cards.

From the DCX manual, it says the following:

Please only use “5 V ATA Flash Card” PC cards (min. 4 MB). Even though the memory capacity of the medium can be selected freely, you can only store a maximum of 60 presets.

My question is, what does the "5 V " stand for? I can find ATA flash cards on ebay but I'm not sure which one to get. Has anyone done this and could please point me in the right direction?

Cheers all!
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

commander_dan

Re: DCX 2496 annoying problem..

#2 Post by commander_dan »

Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

commander_dan

#3 Post by commander_dan »

Actually, I also just read in the manual the following:

The 9-pin RS-232 interface allows you to connect your DCX2496 to a
computer. This enables you to save and load files, update the DCX2496
operating software, or remotely control one or several ULTRADRIVE PRO
units from a PC. Free editor software can be downloaded at behringer.com.

LOL so I dont need a card after all. Answered my own question again! Thanks for listening anyways.

By the by, has anyone had this memory wipe issue with their dcx in the past?
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

I believe all the DSP use an on-board battery to retain memory. If your unit is 5 or more years old, it is the most likely culprit.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

jimbo7

#5 Post by jimbo7 »

Do you have it connected to a power conditioner or power strip? I recently discovered on one of my power strips that when it "breaks" it defaults to basically an extension cord. Bypassing any sort of protection from spikes or surges.

Make sure that didn't poop out on you.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

commander_dan wrote:Actually, I also just read in the manual the following:

The 9-pin RS-232 interface allows you to connect your DCX2496 to a
computer. This enables you to save and load files, update the DCX2496
operating software, or remotely control one or several ULTRADRIVE PRO
units from a PC. Free editor software can be downloaded at behringer.com.

LOL so I dont need a card after all. Answered my own question again! Thanks for listening anyways.

By the by, has anyone had this memory wipe issue with their dcx in the past?
Dan,
I haven't had the memory dumping issue before.

I also looked at getting the flash memory card way back and, at the time, came to the conclusion that there were different compact flash cards that worked on different voltage???? Hence the 5V specification. It's important the compact flash is the correct size (dimensions wise I mean).

As far as being able to use the software etc, since you're going to be using your gear "live" so to speak, you would want to be able to use the software from a laptop.
So you would need a USB to serial adaptor lead (to connect to the DCX) and it's associated driver to use the software from Behringer.

While it's handy to do that, it really doesn't take long at all to manually re enter a programme into the DCX. I can now do a full setup in a couple of minutes, though I don't use EQ on the DCX at all.
Don't worry with all the extra palafel.
Just practice doing setups until you have it down pat. And press NO to save? when you go to another recall as you practice...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

bitSmasher

#7 Post by bitSmasher »

Some oldschool memory cards would only work on either 3.3v or 5v, but you'd hope most are compatible with both voltages
Also I've read that some USB>RS232 don't play well with DCX, to the point you can brick the box whilst firmware updating... so you may need to try a few, and some advice I've read is that buying an oldschool cheapo laptop with RS232 built in might be cheaper and easier than trying out different adapters!

commander_dan

#8 Post by commander_dan »

DJPhatman wrote:I believe all the DSP use an on-board battery to retain memory. If your unit is 5 or more years old, it is the most likely culprit.
It's barely a year old, hope its not the on board battery!
jimbo7 wrote:Do you have it connected to a power conditioner or power strip? I recently discovered on one of my power strips that when it "breaks" it defaults to basically an extension cord. Bypassing any sort of protection from spikes or surges.

Make sure that didn't poop out on you.
I'll check that out, thanks Jimbo. It may well have been a small spike or something like that.
Grant Bunter wrote:
While it's handy to do that, it really doesn't take long at all to manually re enter a programme into the DCX. I can now do a full setup in a couple of minutes, though I don't use EQ on the DCX at all.
Don't worry with all the extra palafel.
Just practice doing setups until you have it down pat. And press NO to save? when you go to another recall as you practice...
Grant, I agree with you that its good to be able to setup the DCX from memory, and that part is ok as I have done it a couple of times and am getting better at it. It's the EQ-ing that takes more time up. But I know the rough adjustments that my tops require so it actually didn't take that long to re set it all up, its a convenience thing... You use the DEQ don't you? Why don't you use the EQ ability of the DCX, does it take up too much of the available memory for you?
bitSmasher wrote:Also I've read that some USB>RS232 don't play well with DCX, to the point you can brick the box whilst firmware updating...
Thanks for the tip bitSmasher! I really don't want to brick my DCX :shock:
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Grant Bunter

#9 Post by Grant Bunter »

commander_dan wrote: You use the DEQ don't you? Why don't you use the EQ ability of the DCX, does it take up too much of the available memory for you?
Using the available memory on the DCX by chewing up free memory by EQing is of some concern.
Theoretically, and practically, there have been issues mentioned here in the forum.

I use the DEQ because that's the way you get RTA with Behringer.
Since my rig was set up originally to do live music, I created and saved a baseline EQ which I called "System tune".
For a new venue, I recall that, then RTA to the room, tweak by ear, then save for that venue.
Next time I'm there, I just recall the venue named save and I'm off and running.
Or, if I'm outside, just recall "System tune" and off and running.
So, RTA, and multiple saves with recall ability is handy.

If you're only ever playing outside, then using the PEQ on the DCX is certainly a way to get a baseline EQ. The fewer PEQ tweaks you can put in the better.
However, if you have great ears and know what you're doing, then a 1/3 octave EQ (rather than the DEQ) and ringing out would get you there, heck it's been done that way for decades lol.

When I got here, and got my first DCX, I didn't realise that the DEQ was it's partner, for like 10 minutes. Then I had to get the DEQ lol.

Retrospect says to me (particularly if you're buying "new" here in Oz), that it's probably cheaper to buy DBX driverack series units, as that = the DCX/DEQ combo, but in 1 RU, and you have the DBX name.
There are reports that the driverack series limiters aren't quite brick wall, but Bruce Weldy has said before, when set up properly, if, after setup, you max out your sliders, nothing gets through. That's good enough for me...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...