DBX DriveRack PA2

The hows and whys of running sound.
tuna

Re: DBX DriveRack PA2

#76 Post by tuna »

I guess its not that I dont like it, its more that I wasnt sure what to expect with the device and Im comparing it to the only other equipment Ive used which is the Behringer DCX and DEQ. I will say that it definitely sounds better even with the DCX still handling crossover duties. Just bought two more drivers so will be bringing another Tuba 35 online (dual Eminence 3015LFs!) Will be interesting to hear the differences and see what I can do to pump up the bass!

HugoMack

#77 Post by HugoMack »

DId my first gig with the DBX and my new Jack12 Lite system. NO fold back and at one stage five guitars (a jam night....). Very loud, and worked really well. No hint of feedback even when a harpist insisted on standing right in front of one of the FOH speakers to blow.

I'd set it up and home, and as the pub was full with afternoon trade when I set up, I couldn't ring it out or even do RTA. But it was trouble-free and the lack of feedback was remarkable.
Hugh McManners
2x Jack 12 Lite 3012HOs, Matrix GT800. DBX PA2 Next 20 inch T39's with 3012's (LF). Sound reinforcement, then projection. FRFR. Love huge PAs, but at that stage in life when technology needs to make things easier (as in lighter!)

byacey

#78 Post by byacey »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Sounds like you are trying to use the set up wizard......if so, don't. Just do a custom setup and put in your own parameters.
The only thing that drives me up the wall with the PA series is not being able to select and auto EQ only one channel at a time. I have a monitor mix on the left channel and the mains on the right. If I want to Auto EQ the mains, I'm forced to EQ the monitor mix first.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Bruce Weldy

#79 Post by Bruce Weldy »

byacey wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
Sounds like you are trying to use the set up wizard......if so, don't. Just do a custom setup and put in your own parameters.
The only thing that drives me up the wall with the PA series is not being able to select and auto EQ only one channel at a time. I have a monitor mix on the left channel and the mains on the right. If I want to Auto EQ the mains, I'm forced to EQ the monitor mix first.
Then, why not put the mains on the left? Then stop the EQ process after you are through with the left, leaving the monitors on the right the way they were......maybe I'm not understanding the problem. I haven't ever tried to split the box that way. Easier just having one box for mains and on for monitors.....well....two now. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

byacey

#80 Post by byacey »

I initially had the mains on the left, and monitors on the right. However, I found the mains could be left alone for most venues with only a slight manual tweaking on the graph, while the monitors were more critical to be EQd; this is why I swapped the channels around.

Presently I have mains and monitor mix 3 on a PA, while monitor mix 1 and 2 are on a PA+.
Perhaps I'll just delete the third mix for now, as I don't use it very often. When I find I need that third mix I'll buy another PA+ which will allow for 4 monitor mixes.

I was considering a 260, but from what I've read it still uses the old firmware and DBX doesn't intend on releasing any updates.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

monekh

#81 Post by monekh »

while reading up on the PA2 came across this http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun14/a ... -drpa2.htm in which the reviewer says:

'The limiter circuit is not, as far as I'm aware, a 'brick wall' limiter like the PeakStopPlus design found in the higher‑end DriveRack models, and you can't alter the overshoot margin, but it's useful protection against accidentally over‑driving your system, so long as you bear in mind that the PA2 has no control over anything connected after it, so it can't protect your speakers against inappropriate amplifier settings.'

However it seems from what people are saying here that it is possible to brick wall limit using Driveracks like the PA2... could anyone confirm this? just for my own peace of mind...

cheers

Chris_Allen

#82 Post by Chris_Allen »

tuna wrote:I just picked up a PA2 and integrated it into my system. I was hoping it was going to be a replacement for the DCX/DEQ combo. It is not. I still had to use my DCX for output. The PA2 has 3 pairs of outputs: 2 highs, 2 mids, and 2 lows. While the Lows allow for a mono hookup, the highs and mids DO NOT. It requires both outs to be connected for any of the auto-eq and RTA functionality to work. The outputs are not nearly configurable enough for the individual channels to come anywhere close to do what the DCX can do.

As for the EQ, I liked the functionality. For whatever reason it sounds better to me than the DEQ/DCX combo. The ipad control is quite nice, and the RTA functionality works great. I hung the RTA mic in the middle of my room and it constantly responds to music and sound as it is playing. To me, it sounds great.

Pros: Auto EQ and Room Correction works and sounds great. Ipad control via wifi.
Cons: Analog input only. Ipad control requires a network connection and yet no built in wifi.

Looks to me that rather than putting out an actually usable product, they put out a product that has some nice new features unavailable anywhere in the market to develop hype. But then made them stand alone in a product that is useless without interfacing with other products. In other words it is crippled. Lack of digital input support, lack of ability to configure the outputs are the two biggest things I have run into. I fully expect to see a PA2+ come out that will actually be useful as there is no other reason to exclude some of the stuff they have excluded in this product.
I wish I had seen this thread before taking the plunge.

I received my PA2 last night and so far have been very disappointed with it's flexibility compared to the DEQ/DCX combo. Considering they have had years to improve the interface on the device, it's still very poor - no on/off button on the front of the device, what's that about? but the lack of routing options from input to output is just really, really bad. Something I would expect from a low budget processor. Looks like I won't be able to run a mono mix from a stereo input.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

escapemcp

#83 Post by escapemcp »

HugoMack wrote:There's such a lot of generally useful info you've all given me, that I wonder if some kind of BFM Wiki could be a good move?
+100 - an area for all the 'reference' info would be very handy, rather than having to find stickys or (even worse), old posts.
HugoMack wrote:A Wiki allows everyone to develop information under headings as opposed to a conversation with a unique context. These entries can then develop in parallel with the technology. And this then provides easy-to-find web links to existing answers.
+1000 Also an excellent idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd be happy to help edit and manage it. I spend lots of time on the forum already... but most of that time is spent re-reading posts as it can often be quiet round here. Helping out would be nice way for me to give a little something back as well as giving me something to do during my "can't be arsed to do any work today" days at the office!

byacey

#84 Post by byacey »

Chris_Allen wrote:
I received my PA2 last night and so far have been very disappointed with it's flexibility... no on/off button on the front of the device, what's that about?
Did you ever power down a speaker processor while the amps were still on? That's a good reason not to have a power switch on the front panel.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Chris_Allen

#85 Post by Chris_Allen »

byacey wrote:Did you ever power down a speaker processor while the amps were still on? That's a good reason not to have a power switch on the front panel.
Well, no, never had that happen.

It just means that any device plugged into the power conditioner without a power switch will come on at the same time. So if I have two devices in different parts of the signal chain connected to the conditioner without power buttons, I can't control the order in which they are powered on or off.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Bruce Weldy

#86 Post by Bruce Weldy »

My driveracks and amps are in one rack feeding off the same power supply. The driveracks come on with the power supply, then I turn on the amps. Do it in reverse order to shut it down. Never had a pop. And since amps should always be last on and first off - there's really no reason to need switches on the driveracks.....just the amps.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Chris_Allen

#87 Post by Chris_Allen »

Bruce Weldy wrote:My driveracks and amps are in one rack feeding off the same power supply. The driveracks come on with the power supply, then I turn on the amps. Do it in reverse order to shut it down. Never had a pop. And since amps should always be last on and first off - there's really no reason to need switches on the driveracks.....just the amps.
I run my mixer from the power conditioner, so the driverack comes on before that, unless I leave the power switch on the mixer.

I realise that any signal may be weak if i get an output 'pop' form the mixer but I'm just funny about things coming on in order.
Built:

Chris_Allen

#88 Post by Chris_Allen »

Apart from my initial complaint about the power switch, the autoeq sounds considerably better than the DEQ and it is completed without masses of pink noise.
Built:

Bruce Weldy

#89 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Chris_Allen wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:My driveracks and amps are in one rack feeding off the same power supply. The driveracks come on with the power supply, then I turn on the amps. Do it in reverse order to shut it down. Never had a pop. And since amps should always be last on and first off - there's really no reason to need switches on the driveracks.....just the amps.
I run my mixer from the power conditioner, so the driverack comes on before that, unless I leave the power switch on the mixer.

I realise that any signal may be weak if i get an output 'pop' form the mixer but I'm just funny about things coming on in order.
It doesn't matter what order the devices come on as long as the Power amps are last on. And, of course, first off.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Monomer

#90 Post by Monomer »

Just bought one of these to replace an aging DS48.

The 48 does have more in/outs, bust it's far more than I need. This runs my t39/otop combo. I usually just run sound for dj's, so a left and a right input is more than enough. When I do do live sound, Monitors and all that are off the aux of my 03D.

I can't find anything I don't like about it. I have it hooked up with the cheapest netgear router they recommend. They don't build in wifi, as it's a technology that's always changing and they (dbx) don't work in. I dont mind it. You'll need anything with DHCP to assign it an IP, some switches will work with a wired connection. The app's touchy on my phone, but is fine on my laptop and Ipad. The software is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the BBE software for the DS series. Everything where it should be.

What sold me on it is price, and the fact it has notch filters for feedback and a GEQ along side the PEQ's. I really need to get a proper mic and see how the rta function works.
-AutoTuba; Tang Band 8 inch (x1)
-T39; KappliteLF, 22 wide (x2)
-More to come!