Behringer X32

The hows and whys of running sound.
Chris_Allen

Behringer X32

#1 Post by Chris_Allen »

Has anyone got/used any of the X32/X32 Compact/X32 rack series? and if so, what is your opinion?

I'm very tempted by the X32 rack. Remote mixing via either an ipad or laptop sounds reasonable because once the mixer is setup, I only tend to use the faders.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

BrentEvans

Re: Behringer X32

#2 Post by BrentEvans »

I found the console interface clunky, but the X32 Rack wouldn't have that problem. Supposedly the iPad app is pretty good. The biggest problem I had is that they feel cheap, like most Behringer products. They sound OK, but if you can afford something better, go with something better.

The Allen & Heath QU-16, if you can live with 16 channels, seems to be a great choice. Soundcraft SI expression and Presonus Studiolive are also popular. The only thing lacking with any of those options is DCAs, and the X32s do have those.

I had eliminated nearly all Behringer from my trailer...it keeps coming back! Its like zombie gear.... I don't buy it... it must be biting my good gear and infecting it with Yellow Triangle Disease! :noob:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

rotebass

#3 Post by rotebass »

We're a year into our X32's lifecycle, no quality concerns, sounds great. We've put it on FOH for some "band's that Canadians would probably know" with no complaints, we've used it as a monitor desk on some even bigger shows. I disagree about the interface being clunky; the initial configuration of the console can be tedious, but if you can't operate this console then the issue might be operator related.

One of the festivals I do in the summer replaced the analog consoles on the B, C and D stages with X32s this year. B Stage was an analog split between FOH and monitors, C stage we ran stage lines into the monitor desk and ran a single Cat 5 cable to FOH, D stage was a pair of S16 feeding an X32 at FOH. No hick-ups throughout the course of the weekend.

The StudioLive doesn't belong in the same sentence as the SI Expression and the X32, no experience with the QU16 but if the channel count meets your needs it does seem to be getting good reviews.

BrentEvans

#4 Post by BrentEvans »

rotebass wrote: the initial configuration of the console can be tedious, but if you can't operate this console then the issue might be operator related.
I never said I couldn't operate the console. I said I didn't like it. There is a big difference.

I am talking about configuration, and compared to the competition, it is clunky. I got the hang of it after playing around for a few hours, but it's not a walkup console like some others are. It feels like an LS9... you're always 2 steps behind. I was running a Studiolive in 10 minutes, an Expression in 5, and the GLD-80 in an hour. LS9 is still awkward and so is X32... and I've had as much or more time with them than all the rest. The configuration interface just isn't laid out well. This is a big deal if you are doing rentals... not so much if its for your band. I will say that the newer software is much better than the old software. Also, the lack of a touch screen is a big minus on this console.
One of the festivals I do in the summer replaced the analog consoles on the B, C and D stages with X32s this year. B Stage was an analog split between FOH and monitors, C stage we ran stage lines into the monitor desk and ran a single Cat 5 cable to FOH, D stage was a pair of S16 feeding an X32 at FOH. No hick-ups throughout the course of the weekend.
I never said it didn't or couldn't work and do so reliably, rather that it felt "cheap" from a hardware perspective and that I didn't like the interface. One year is not a long time. A console should have a life of ten to fifteen years. I have concerns about the quality of the moving parts (Faders and knobs) on the X32.. they feel a lot like the ones on their MIDI fader packs... and those have dubious long term reliability.
The StudioLive doesn't belong in the same sentence as the SI Expression and the X32, no experience with the QU16 but if the channel count meets your needs it does seem to be getting good reviews.
I have to disagree about the Studiolive. They are all competitors. Studiolive was first, and now that the new AI versions are out with built-in ethernet, about the only thing it lacks is moving faders and stageboxes. "Fader locate" is a poorly functional alternative. All that taken into consideration, the console sounds good and shares many functions with the others listed here, and is probably the easiest of the group to configure.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

rotebass

#5 Post by rotebass »

Brent I don't understand why you are being so defensive (or seemingly, it's hard to tell on the internet), I'm simply offering my experience as a counter point to yours, no offence intended.

After doing it a couple times, I have no problems configuring the X32. FWIW I've yet to have to dig into the manual to figure out any functions.

Your comments about 15 year life on these relatively new digital consoles is irrelevant.

FX on the StudioLive sound like crap, I'm not alone on this. Presonus needs to step up their game.

dswpro

#6 Post by dswpro »

Been using an X32 regularly for about a year now. Also very experienced with other desks, notably Yamaha digital ones. X32 takes some getting used to, but generally sounds good and works well. If you only need 16 mic pre-amps I would go with the rack and an iPad. If you need more pre-amps you can add them later. If you go the rack route, get a quality wireless router, something like the Asus black diamond or better. The IPad app receives a LOT of data (mostly meters) and cheap routers may not keep up too well. (go to smallnetbuilder.com for router speed charts )

BrentEvans

#7 Post by BrentEvans »

rotebass wrote:Brent I don't understand why you are being so defensive (or seemingly, it's hard to tell on the internet), I'm simply offering my experience as a counter point to yours, no offence intended.
[quote="rotebass" but if you can't operate this console then the issue might be operator related.[/quote]
That's a personal jab. I didn't take offense, but rather was highlighting that preferences mean everything.

After doing it a couple times, I have no problems configuring the X32. FWIW I've yet to have to dig into the manual to figure out any functions.
Your comments about 15 year life on these relatively new digital consoles is irrelevant.
Oh really? How so?
FX on the StudioLive sound like crap, I'm not alone on this. Presonus needs to step up their game.
I guess it's a matter of taste, and what effects you use. I've never had a problem getting the sound I want out of any of the above consoles. The presonus might be a bit more limited in FX choice... but they are certainly usable.

To each their own, I suppose. Plenty of people are using all of these consoles with good results.

rotebass

#8 Post by rotebass »

BrentEvans wrote:
rotebass wrote:Brent I don't understand why you are being so defensive (or seemingly, it's hard to tell on the internet), I'm simply offering my experience as a counter point to yours, no offence intended.
rotebass wrote:but if you can't operate this console then the issue might be operator related.
That's a personal jab. I didn't take offense, but rather was highlighting that preferences mean everything.

Ok, maybe a little bit of offence intended, but not in your direction.
Oh really? How so?
None of these consoles have been out for 15 years, unless you have a crystal ball that you aren't sharing with us :p

Of the three consoles mentioned, the only one that doesn't have semi-regular failures reported online is the Expression (excluding firmware problems initially).
I guess it's a matter of taste, and what effects you use. I've never had a problem getting the sound I want out of any of the above consoles. The presonus might be a bit more limited in FX choice... but they are certainly usable.

To each their own, I suppose. Plenty of people are using all of these consoles with good results.[/quote][/quote]

I can cheer's to that.

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans »

rotebass wrote: None of these consoles have been out for 15 years, unless you have a crystal ball that you aren't sharing with us :p
That's true. It's also true that consoles of previous generations have lasted that long, and it's reasonable to expect current consoles to last. I don't think the Behringer is a 15 year console, or even a ten year console. Five... if you take care of it.

For that matter, I'd be doubtful of the Presonus making it that long.. but it feels better than the Behringer to me.

byacey

#10 Post by byacey »

It's like the Mackie mixers with the wobbly knobs, that don't have nuts and washers under the knobs to fasten the controls to the panel; you know they aren't going to last any length of time with that much side to side slop. Also, most of those cheap controls aren't very accurate in their rotation of travel either.

Generally you have a choice between low cost, or quality construction and materials. Having both is almost non-existent. It's up to the consumer to determine how much quality they are willing to pay for.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Chris_Allen

#11 Post by Chris_Allen »

[quote="BrentEvans"
That's true. It's also true that consoles of previous generations have lasted that long, and it's reasonable to expect current consoles to last. I don't think the Behringer is a 15 year console, or even a ten year console. Five... if you take care of it. .[/quote]

I got my Behringer DDX3216 digital desk in 2002 and it's still going strong. My A&H GL2400 I got in 2007 ish has broken 3 times, the Mackie CFX12 lasted 3 years before having to go for repair, and the Yamaha xxx (can't remember the model number) broke after about 4 years. All were repairable but the Behringer is the only one that lasted the distance. In my experience, Behringer is the most reliable product that I've owned and I just don't understand where this hatred and failure vibe comes from.

I own a lot of Behringer gear and it out lives every other make that I've purchased and I've yet to have a single failure in any of it.

I think the worst reliable gear has to be Mackie (on the guitar side, it has to be Marshall, their stuff is really, really bad for reliability). Also, none of my Roland stuff has ever broken come to think of it.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Chris_Allen wrote: I own a lot of Behringer gear and it out lives every other make that I've purchased and I've yet to have a single failure in any of it.
You need to go buy a lottery ticket....NOW!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BrentEvans

#13 Post by BrentEvans »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Chris_Allen wrote: I own a lot of Behringer gear and it out lives every other make that I've purchased and I've yet to have a single failure in any of it.
You need to go buy a lottery ticket....NOW!
Not that I'm condoning gambling, but +1....

Chris, your experience with Behringer is atypical. Quite seriously, nearly every piece I've had has failed, with the exception of an EP1500 power amp, a 15 band EQ that's seen about 10 hours of use, their XM8500 vocal mics, and one passive monitor wedge that showed up on my trailer somehwere down the line (it actually sounds halfway decent, surprisingly). I had a mixer that failed after a single use, sitting in the box. It was out for three hours, used, put back in the box, and six months later, dead channel. I do have a DEQ2496 in the box that was pulled from a clean room install after about a year that's still working... somewhere... in the box....

That said, I have had equally bad luck with Mackie, Samson, etc. Phonic gear has lasted, though, despite being made on the same lines as early Behringer gear. My guess is that the Phonic pieces were installed and locked up and left running for years on end. They did appear to be more sturdily built than the Behringer stuff.

#1 Behringer failure... power supplies. On the list of failures due to power supply :

6 x ADA8000
1 x BCF2000
3 x Shark
1 x Ultramizer Pro
1 x Virtualizer pro
1 x Xenyx 1224? Mixer
1 x Xenyz 802? mixer
1 x Eurodesk 3224 mixer
6 x 12/horn powered boxes (forget which model number)
1 x DXC2496

Needless to say, thats a lot of money I've lost over the years... which is why I say.... again...

escapemcp

#14 Post by escapemcp »

Chris_Allen wrote:In my experience, Behringer is the most reliable product that I've owned and I just don't understand where this hatred and failure vibe comes from.

I own a lot of Behringer gear and it out lives every other make that I've purchased and I've yet to have a single failure in any of it.
+1

The hatred and failure vibe comes from people who have spent some serious money on kit. It's kind of like buyers remorse... if you see something from another company which is half the price and does the same thing, you are going to slag it off in your own head in order for you to justify (and not feel bad about) your expenditure on the expensive kit - "It's half the price, it must be shit, unreliable etc". I confess, even I have done this in the past!

In another thread hifibob mentioned about his DBX driverack display had messed up, yet no-one mentioned about how DBX were shit... if it had been Behringer (DCX) though, I bet the quality comments would have started - and no one said "Bob, you wouldn't have had this problem with a Behringer" :lol:

If you actually look into the whole Behringer brand, you can see how they produce stuff so cheap. You can also see that because they manufacture every significant component in house (@ Behringer City, China), they have QC over it all. I don't think you get this with many other brands who buy in certain bits from factories (again from China) and it depends if the factory was having an off day or not as to whether your widget works well for 15 years or just 2.

Behringer make kit to do the job... it may not be pretty but underneath it is pretty reliable. No point having silky smooth sliders and pots if the electronics behind it all breaks after a few weeks/months or even years!

The whole ethos behind Behringer is trying to make pro sound equipment available at consumer prices, so that we can all run our own rigs/bands/studios/etc. It democratizes music so it is no longer prohibitively expensive to anything musical. Isn't that worth a bit of kudos to Uli and his kronies? The rate of expansion of the Company in just 30 years perfectly demonstrates the market for these sorts of products that previously was not being filled.

And as for a 'quality' brand such as Pioneer, I have lost count of the number of CDJs I have played on with bust bearings on the platter of other issues (such as eject not quite working or CD failing to read). Why spend 2 or 3 times more for a 'quality' brand when it might fail just as quick as a Behriger? If I buy the Behringer, I can buy a spare and still have money left over.

I never choose ANY of my purchases based on the badge. Instead I read reviews, watch youtube videos and see what else I can find on the internet about it. 'Good' companies can make bad products and supposed 'bad' companies make good products. The trick is to find out which products (not companies) are the good ones - you don't buy the company, you buy the product!! Do the research and buy wisely and you don't have to pay top-dollar for a top-dollar setup - I thought this site was built on EXACTLY THAT principle, so why is there the hostility toward Behringer here?? Especially as half of you are running DCX/DEQs!! :wall: :wall:
Last edited by escapemcp on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

escapemcp

#15 Post by escapemcp »

BrentEvans wrote: #1 Behringer failure... power supplies. On the list of failures due to power supply :

6 x ADA8000
1 x BCF2000
3 x Shark
1 x Ultramizer Pro
1 x Virtualizer pro
1 x Xenyx 1224? Mixer
1 x Xenyz 802? mixer
1 x Eurodesk 3224 mixer
6 x 12/horn powered boxes (forget which model number)
1 x DXC2496

Needless to say, thats a lot of money I've lost over the years

Fair enuff! Point taken - I can see why you are not liking the orange triangle on any of your (or your friend's ;)) kit! I'm still running with them until I start to see failures like this. It's probably your crappy US 120V sagging power supply... you want some nice EUROPOWER for your rig :lol:
Last edited by escapemcp on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.