Attention StudioLive and Soundcraft SiCompact users...

The hows and whys of running sound.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Attention StudioLive and Soundcraft SiCompact users...

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Razor wrote:
By the time I started mixing at my church everyone was already used to having "more me" mixes.
When I came on board it was as screwed up as Hogan's goat. Some had monitors, some had in-ears - the kid who was running it all didn't have a clue. We pulled all the in-ears and gave a single monitor mix that was pretty much the mains. What was a constant problem with monitors disappeared in a couple of weeks. I told 'em it was time to mix themselves - get out of the way of the soloist, turn up when it's your turn.

They all embraced the program, we sold all the in-ears.....and I rewarded 'em with a second monitor mix for the bass player and drummer that gave them a little more bass and drums and I gave the other mix a little more of the singers.

And they lived happily ever after.....

With the right people, sometimes it's possible to strip everything away and start over. Sometimes we get so far off the path trying to please everyone that we end up pleasing no one. Anyway that worked for me and I use the same approach in my band.

I'd like to try in-ears someday, but I'd only do it with good molded units - no earbuds......but that's a little expensive for the good ones.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Razor

#17 Post by Razor »

We're going to move to giving each member of the band their own personal mixer, once we can afford it. Everyone except the background singers, anyway (they'll still use a pair of wedges controlled by FOH). We already use a Roland V-mixer, so integrating it into the system will be easy.

That will allow us to finally go amp-less, and significantly reduce our stage noise. Which, due to the small size of our room, I feel will greatly benefit the sound in the house.

BrentEvans

#18 Post by BrentEvans »

Razor wrote: My anti-apple views are not political or religious in nature. I just don't like that they charge way too much for their products. More than anything I don't like the fact that they're designed to be replaced within a couple of years. I have a PC that's more than 6 years old and is running strong. None of the apple products that my friends and family have purchased have lasted that long.
+1. While I don't agree with the social views of either company, Apple products are closed for the most part. I value the ability to customize my products, and Apple doesn't care much for that. I also think that they sacrifice some performance aspects in favor of aesthetics. Add all that (including their planned obsolescence policies and corporate practices) to the fact that their products are significantly more expensive than the alternative, and they simply aren't attractive to me.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Greg Plouvier

#19 Post by Greg Plouvier »

Brent-you might want to take a look at the new Behringer X32. Pretty impressive for the money. Personal mixers run right off the stage boxes.
They are finally starting to show up here at distributors. The sound quality of the SL is just ok - not stellar - faders seem a little hinky and are non-motorized. Can't comment on the SI.
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

BrentEvans

#20 Post by BrentEvans »

Greg Plouvier wrote:Brent-you might want to take a look at the new Behringer X32. Pretty impressive for the money. Personal mixers run right off the stage boxes.
They are finally starting to show up here at distributors. The sound quality of the SL is just ok - not stellar - faders seem a little hinky and are non-motorized. Can't comment on the SI.
I looked at it and while I'm impressed with the feature set, I don't want to recommend to the church to be an early adopter of a basically unproven technology. A primary concern of the church will be longevity and reliability... I can't make statements on this console to those effects, only about the company (and those wouldn't be stellar). This isn't just a new mixer, its the first of a new manufacturing process at Behringer City, and I don't entirely trust them to start with.

It seems that the advantages to the Presonus might outweigh the benefits - better iThing software, better PC software, capture built in, price. The SiCompact is probably a better sounding console, but the PC app is clunky and the iPad app is limited to faders and mutes. Expandability is also more expensive than the Presonus. Since we're coming from a ten year old Behringer board, either will be a massive improvement.

It looks like the choice will be down to the SiC-16 or the SL 24.4.2. My guess is that price will win (SL) but the fact that you have to have a PC attached to do any remoting may be a factor.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

el_ingeniero

#21 Post by el_ingeniero »

BrentEvans wrote:
Razor wrote: My anti-apple views are not political or religious in nature. I just don't like that they charge way too much for their products. More than anything I don't like the fact that they're designed to be replaced within a couple of years. I have a PC that's more than 6 years old and is running strong. None of the apple products that my friends and family have purchased have lasted that long.
+1. While I don't agree with the social views of either company, Apple products are closed for the most part. I value the ability to customize my products, and Apple doesn't care much for that. I also think that they sacrifice some performance aspects in favor of aesthetics. Add all that (including their planned obsolescence policies and corporate practices) to the fact that their products are significantly more expensive than the alternative, and they simply aren't attractive to me.
I finally broke down and bought my wife an iPad. Damn thing cannot do more than one thing at a time, ie play music and browse the web for example. Should have just bought myself a new laptop and been done with it.

Greg Plouvier

#22 Post by Greg Plouvier »

I have no desire to mix on ipads or iphones or any such doody. As far as track record Brent if you think about it, the SL and the Si compact have very little. As soon as I can sell my sac I'll be picking up an X32. 48 ch sac system anyone?
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

SirNickity

#23 Post by SirNickity »

Just a thought guys... You can pick up a used iPad for something like this. No need to line Apple's pockets if you're allergic. If there's a dedicated app for the SL, I see no reason why Last Year's Model isn't perfectly adequate, and could stay that way for as long as the electrons continue to flow. I don't think upgrade-itis would affect this kind of use. Heck, you don't even need the battery to still be functional, if you can supply a charging cable or dock.

I know some people just don't want to touch an Apple product, or even be near one, but just think of it as a tool to get things done. A simple bargraph of channel faders. It'll do this, and do the job well. Whether you can freely recompile the kernel's source code or multitask your spreadsheets while watching videos is irrelevant. All you need is a simple remote control. Much better than RDP with a laptop, IMO. I can't imagine how that could possibly be more ergonomic.

So just swallow the bile and pick up an iPad 2, used. Or, if the performers have their own, have them install the app and bring their own monitor mixer. ;-) Don't make things hard on yourself (and your performers) for the sake of principle.

Bruce Weldy

#24 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Greg Plouvier wrote:. As far as track record Brent if you think about it, the SL and the Si compact have very little.
Don't know about the Si, but the StudioLive has been out a few years now. A friend of mine owns a large sound company in San Antonio (Vertec Line Arrays etc..) They use the SLs anytime that they don't need to being out the big boards....so they see probably 2-3 shows a week each. They have a couple of 24s and a couple 16s - they swear by 'em and got rid of all their other small format boards in favor of 'em. They've also installed 'em in several local churches - no comebacks yet.

They've been through some firmware updates so even the 3 year old boards have all the features of the newest one off the line.

So, I'd say their track record is pretty good. And having used one now for a few months and had a great experience with their support folks - I'm really happy with 'em.

I do wish the interface didn't require a laptop and router to be able to use the iPad - but all the pluses outweigh that. I haven't see another digital board that is as easy to teach a newbie who's only experience is with an analog board.

And having replaced an old Behringer Eurodesk with mine for a rock band I work with - it is MUCH better sounding and musical than the Behringer......(and unlike the Behringer, everything on it works!) :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BrentEvans

#25 Post by BrentEvans »

SirNickity wrote:Just a thought guys... You can pick up a used iPad for something like this. No need to line Apple's pockets if you're allergic. If there's a dedicated app for the SL, I see no reason why Last Year's Model isn't perfectly adequate, and could stay that way for as long as the electrons continue to flow. I don't think upgrade-itis would affect this kind of use. Heck, you don't even need the battery to still be functional, if you can supply a charging cable or dock.
Even used beat up iPads go for a sizable chunk. About the only thing that devalues them drastically is a broken display.
I know some people just don't want to touch an Apple product, or even be near one, but just think of it as a tool to get things done. A simple bargraph of channel faders. It'll do this, and do the job well. Whether you can freely recompile the kernel's source code or multitask your spreadsheets while watching videos is irrelevant. All you need is a simple remote control. Much better than RDP with a laptop, IMO. I can't imagine how that could possibly be more ergonomic.
It has to do with the position of your hands as you play the piano. A pianists hands are horizontal with fingertips bent... same as a laptop. To manipulate a touch screen device, the device has to be tilted, and the whole movement paradigm is different. Further, it requires full visual focus... there's no tactile feedback My brain just doesn't divide that way. Trust me, I've tried both... trying to manipulate a tablet with the right hand whilst playing rhythm with the left is kind of like rubbing your head whilst patting your stomach.
So just swallow the bile and pick up an iPad 2, used. Or, if the performers have their own, have them install the app and bring their own monitor mixer. ;-) Don't make things hard on yourself (and your performers) for the sake of principle.
I am the performer. I'd be the only person on stage manipulating it. The pastor might want access sometimes, but that would be rare. We might use it for FOH occasionally, but the main FOH operator will have the console. Personally, I don't care if anyone else who might use the system accesses it with an iThing...I just don't like the device and I doubt I ever will.

@Greg:
I looked the X32 over again, and the agonizing truth is that it fits our present and projected future needs just about perfectly. What I can't get over is that it's Behringer. I've spent several years ridding myself of Behringer, and I would have to answer some tough questions about putting back in the same brand that failed. The warranty isn't as good (one replacement and it's over) the service department is less than stellar, it's a brand new product... all of these things mean something to a church board concerned with stewardship over features and functionality. Any of the three consoles would do the job... the decision will come down to price and stewardship measures. In the price department, Behringer wins, but in the stewardship areas, well, Presonus and Soundcraft have far better reputations and track records (and warranties and service departments and future support histories).

I may present the X32 as an option along with the SL and the SiC, but I must be brutally honest about the realities of all of them if I do so. I'm sure I'll be asked what I'd recommend, and my recommendation will carry some weight. If something goes wrong with a product I recommend... well... I wouldn't want that. I'm sure they'd just go through the repurchase process again, but that's not the point.

Razor

#26 Post by Razor »

My only (and I do mean only) reservation about jumping on an SL is how many times I've heard of them failing. I believe in most cases it was an issue with the power supply? To be honest I haven't researched the issue much myself, but I've seen enough accounts of it happening to make me hesitant. Feature-wise it's unbelievable for the price. Have also heard that the sound quality is great.

For a small-time band I can't imagine a better console. But in situations where reliability is a major concern well, refer to the first paragraph...

Razor

#27 Post by Razor »

I didn't notice before, but the Roland M-300 mixer is around the same price range as an Si Compact.

The M-300 would support remote control with a laptop from the stage. There's a guide for how to set that up here.

I have a lot of experience with its "big brother", the M-400, and I have to say the v-mixing consoles are fantastic. Really my only beef with them is how incompatible REAC is with anything else. If you want to use a personal monitoring system or do multi-track recording and you don't want to use REAC, then you're no better off than with an analog console. That said, Cakewalk SONAR and REAC work extremely well together, and the M-48 personal monitor system, while overpriced in my opinion, is probably the best out there.

mattaudio

#28 Post by mattaudio »

I think the SL power supply issues were long since fixed.

I'm curious to hear your ideas for a drumset. We can get you hooked up with a great drumset less than your budget. I know a lot of people here are fans of e-kits but as a drummer I just can't do it! It also depends on the style of your church... where I play, we have full-on gospel sound led by a B3, drums, and a synth (and that's it). But a lot of the contemporary Christian stuff requires more dynamics and control. E-kits will work in some rooms and not others.

I'd highly recommend picking up a used/vintage kit for the church. New kits, with some exceptions, are so spendy and they rarely sound as warm. The only advantage to newer stuff is the hardware works more smoothly, but that's not a big deal when the drums are in one spot. Also you can't go wrong with used cymbals (I even have a few I'd sell you for cheap).

Razor

#29 Post by Razor »

mattaudio wrote:I think the SL power supply issues were long since fixed.

I'm curious to hear your ideas for a drumset. We can get you hooked up with a great drumset less than your budget. I know a lot of people here are fans of e-kits but as a drummer I just can't do it! It also depends on the style of your church... where I play, we have full-on gospel sound led by a B3, drums, and a synth (and that's it). But a lot of the contemporary Christian stuff requires more dynamics and control. E-kits will work in some rooms and not others.

I'd highly recommend picking up a used/vintage kit for the church. New kits, with some exceptions, are so spendy and they rarely sound as warm. The only advantage to newer stuff is the hardware works more smoothly, but that's not a big deal when the drums are in one spot. Also you can't go wrong with used cymbals (I even have a few I'd sell you for cheap).
I don't recall anyone in this thread mentioning that they were looking at a new drum kit...

mattaudio

#30 Post by mattaudio »

Rick Lee: I even got to suggest a budget and they're letting me get a keyboard and drumset!