StudioLive mixing on iPad

The hows and whys of running sound.
mattaudio

StudioLive mixing on iPad

#1 Post by mattaudio »

I'm likely going to donate my SL 1642 to my church since they desperately need a better setup. This weekend I played a festival where the mixer had a SL 2442 in a normal FOH spot but he also had the iPad. For those who have used the ipad app...

Would it work for me to leave the mixer in the back room next to the stage at the church? Or should I plan on getting a snake and figuring out a FOH spot? The problem is there's no reasonable location for a FOH mixing spot unless we shorten/modify pews and that doesn't sound easy. I'd rather just have someone sit in the back and mix on an iPad. Thoughts?

Bruce Weldy

Re: StudioLive mixing on iPad

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

mattaudio wrote:I'm likely going to donate my SL 1642 to my church since they desperately need a better setup. This weekend I played a festival where the mixer had a SL 2442 in a normal FOH spot but he also had the iPad. For those who have used the ipad app...

Would it work for me to leave the mixer in the back room next to the stage at the church? Or should I plan on getting a snake and figuring out a FOH spot? The problem is there's no reasonable location for a FOH mixing spot unless we shorten/modify pews and that doesn't sound easy. I'd rather just have someone sit in the back and mix on an iPad. Thoughts?

Hide the mixer wherever you want. I mixed outside with an iPad on a 24.4.2 from 100 feet away. The mixer was on stage and I was walking around out front. It's really fast - no lag time that I could tell. If you leave the board on stage - they can mix their own monitors if they want.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

mattaudio

#3 Post by mattaudio »

So that brings up another option... I could put it in a rolling rack and have it up on stage with the musicians. I was going to throw a rack into a back room with everything including the SL, and wire all the connections to that point.

Instead, I could leave a smaller rack in that back room with amps and processing under lock and key, and then wire up a connection thru the wall for the SL rack.

I could have a short drop snake to the musicians, a couple wired lines for the choir mics etc, and then the rest could be wireless living inside the roller rack.

Thanks for the idea!

James R

#4 Post by James R »

Just a note you can also run another Ipad with permissions set for the monitor sections.
Just saying that way the board could remain side of the stage out of too many fingers
and not accidently hitting the wrong thing :)
" Everyone Has a Photographic Memory, Just Not Everyone Has Film In The Camera"

4 x T48 24.5" 3015LF
8 x 112 Otops

NEXT 2 x DR280's

mattaudio

#5 Post by mattaudio »

The rack would probably be up on stage next to where I'm drumming, so that's not as much of a problem. But what happens when the main buss levels are set via iPad and someone adjusts the faders?

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The fader moves are reflected on the iPad. However, the iPad moves won't change the faders as they aren't motorized. But, there is a button on the right side of the board that is labeled "Locate". When you push that, the LEDs will show you where the level is. All you have to do it move the fader until it hits the lit LED.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."