DCX2496 DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

The hows and whys of running sound.
Tom Caswell

DCX2496 DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

#1 Post by Tom Caswell »

I took delivery of a DCX2496 last week. I spent a couple of hours setting it up with my system and then suddenly it switched off and on again. 5 mins later it did the same. 1 min later the same again.

I contacted the seller (reputable online shop in UK) who took it back but as they had no more in stock gave me a refund. I went on to Amazon and ordered another which arrived today. Have just spent an hour or so setting it up and suddenly screen goes blank and all the leds start to flicker. I turn it off, leave it a few mins and switch on again only to find I'm greeted with the blank screen and flashing leds. :wall:

Any suggestions? I've tried different leads and power supplies but to no avail. Do I send it back and forget Behringer stuff or is there something obvious I'm doing?

doncolga

Re: DCX2496 DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

#2 Post by doncolga »

Tom Caswell wrote:I took delivery of a DCX2496 last week. I spent a couple of hours setting it up with my system and then suddenly it switched off and on again. 5 mins later it did the same. 1 min later the same again.

I contacted the seller (reputable online shop in UK) who took it back but as they had no more in stock gave me a refund. I went on to Amazon and ordered another which arrived today. Have just spent an hour or so setting it up and suddenly screen goes blank and all the leds start to flicker. I turn it off, leave it a few mins and switch on again only to find I'm greeted with the blank screen and flashing leds. :wall:

Any suggestions? I've tried different leads and power supplies but to no avail. Do I send it back and forget Behringer stuff or is there something obvious I'm doing?
Sounds like a bad batch to me. Can you see a date code on there anywhere? Maybe you could check with the vendor or other vendors to see if there are reports of any others from that same time.

I've had mine over a year and never had that behavior from it.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Ryan A

#3 Post by Ryan A »

Can you update the firmware for the device?

Is there a power switch allowing you to select voltage on the rear of the unit?

What if you unplug everything but the power cord, before plugging in other connections. Maybe you can isolate a connection that is messing with the unit.

Its a bad feeling not being able to trust your PA equipment. I would get something else if you can't solve the problem. This particular model has been around for some time already.

Tom Caswell

#4 Post by Tom Caswell »

Right following another thread on here, I bit the bullet and took the cover off (not noted for my patience) and wiggled the ribbons and power connection. It now seems to be acting normally. This was also the case with the other post I saw on here.

It really doesn't fill me with confidence. I have a gig on Saturday and am now in two minds. I may well take the old crossover unit with me as a backup.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Tom Caswell wrote:and wiggled the ribbons and power connection.
Had a similar problem with a driverack that belongs to a friend of mine. The display was going out after a few minutes....

Same thing - the ribbon cable was loose. Shot it with some detoxit 5 and all is well . Always worth cracking 'em open and checking connections. Even if you have no idea what's under the hood, you can tell if something is loose.

Glad you got it fixed.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Michael Ewald Hansen

#6 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

Tom Caswell wrote:Right following another thread on here, I bit the bullet and took the cover off (not noted for my patience) and wiggled the ribbons and power connection. It now seems to be acting normally. This was also the case with the other post I saw on here.

It really doesn't fill me with confidence. I have a gig on Saturday and am now in two minds. I may well take the old crossover unit with me as a backup.

Im pretty sure that was my thread - haven't noticed any problems at all since.
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

doncolga

#7 Post by doncolga »

Tom Caswell wrote:Right following another thread on here, I bit the bullet and took the cover off (not noted for my patience) and wiggled the ribbons and power connection. It now seems to be acting normally. This was also the case with the other post I saw on here.

Glad to hear that worked for you. I figured if my unit ever failed during a job, I'd use the crossover on the amp and run the tops off one side and the subs of the other to get through. Hopefully I wouldn't have the unit and two amps fail all at the same time.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

Tom Caswell

#8 Post by Tom Caswell »

Had first gig with new DCX and it didn't even last through the soundcheck without siezing up. Luckily Ihad the old crossover in the rack (shows how little faith I had in the new DCX). I'm sending it back to Amazon and now thinking I should just abandon the whole DCX / DEQ approach in favour of a DBXDriverack PA+to replace both. Any opinions?

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Tom Caswell wrote:I should just abandon the whole DCX / DEQ approach in favour of a DBXDriverack PA+to replace both. Any opinions?
+1

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

doncolga

#10 Post by doncolga »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Tom Caswell wrote:I should just abandon the whole DCX / DEQ approach in favour of a DBXDriverack PA+to replace both. Any opinions?
+1
Hey Bruce...which DriveRack to you have?
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

doncolga wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
+1
Hey Bruce...which DriveRack to you have?

I have both the PA and the PA+. Just got the PA+, so it's on the mains and the older one is on monitors. The only real difference is that the PA+ is much faster when using the EQ wizard. It also has the ability to mute the outputs from the front panel....don't see ever using that feature.

I'd buy whichever one I could get the cheapest....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

bitSmasher

#12 Post by bitSmasher »

I find interesting the "no compromises" approach to building speakers, but there is a "it's good enough" mentality in regards to the Behringer processors. The potential of a failure mid-gig, and it being so regular it's expected, is scary!

Tom Caswell

#13 Post by Tom Caswell »

Well I have shipped the DCX back and it's now a case of deciding whether to shift the DEQ or keep it for monitors. Shame really as I like the DEQ but the issues with the DCX have blown my confidence a bit. Gonna try to find a decent deal for a DBXdriverack now. Interesting to hear that the old PA would probably suit me as well as a PA+