need advice on 19" amp rack mixer for recorded music

The hows and whys of running sound.
djpk

need advice on 19" amp rack mixer for recorded music

#1 Post by djpk »

I'm looking to purchase a 19" rack mounted mixer for Recored audio aka (DJ'in). what would be a good mixer for the job.

I will have 6 sennhiser g2's via xlr and 2 xlr's coming from the dj mixer and will send 2 xlr signals to the driverack from the 19" mixer

any input will be appreciated links and prices are welcomed
Built:
4 36" dual 3015LF Titan 48's
Future build:
4 MORE Dual Loaded Titan 48's 3015LF 36" wide
6 Dr 280's Currently in build
Powered by: Titans - I-tech 8000
(2) XTI - 4000'S

http://www.mrdjpk.com

BoostFab

Re: need advice on 19" amp rack mixer for recorded music

#2 Post by BoostFab »

djpk wrote:I'm looking to purchase a 19" rack mounted mixer for Recored audio aka (DJ'in). what would be a good mixer for the job.

I will have 6 sennhiser g2's via xlr and 2 xlr's coming from the dj mixer and will send 2 xlr signals to the driverack from the 19" mixer

any input will be appreciated links and prices are welcomed
Depends on your budget... a 16ch. would be great, and give your more room to grow, if you ever decided to do live band shows with your rigs.

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Yamaha MG166cx....

10 XLR channels plus a couple of stereo input channels. 4 Submixes and a couple of monitor outs and built-in effects.

Rack mounts easily and is pretty cheap.

My two cents.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

mattaudio

#4 Post by mattaudio »

By far my favorite cheap portable mixer is the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB. I got mine off CL for $50. Four mic ins (plus two more stereo ins where my kick mic is hot enough without a preamp). Two more stereo aux ins you can use for playback music. Built in FX. And a pre-fader aux send for monitors. All in a tiny package that will likely fit in the accessory pouch of whatever rack you end up using.

SirNickity

#5 Post by SirNickity »

I have two 1U rack-mounted 16-channel line mixers. The first is an Alesis that I wish I hadn't bought.. One of the pots is bad, another makes a bunch of noise, and the metering sucks. It's a little over a year old and hasn't seen much use.

The other is a Behringer I picked up used from eBay a few years back. Works like a champ and is reasonably quiet. I'm usually not much of a Behringer fan, but this mixer and the DI boxes are pretty good, and cheap.

I use the Behringer mostly to pre-mix drums for monitoring. The Alesis is normally in my DJ / small-gig setup because it has a single mic input that sometimes comes in handy. However...

I also bought a small 6 or 8 channel (I forget which) Yamaha desk mixer with two channels of compression built-in. I hate running a mic without compression, so I would definitely suggest factoring that in. It's especially useful when you're handing a mic out to untrained guests. It helps keep the loud mic-kissers and the shy chest-level holders closer in level, and protects somewhat against runaway feedback if someone walks by a speaker.