Pros and Cons of Software and Hardware limiter for speaker

The hows and whys of running sound.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Pros and Cons of Software and Hardware limiter for speak

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

philrev wrote: Can i use a Roland quadcapture as a speaker limiter using its pre amp compressor?
No......that's not even close to a line level limiter. That is a mic preamp.....

Get a limiter. Either a combo like the dbx driverack or the Behringer 2496 that does many things, or just a standalone limiter .....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

wallywally

#17 Post by wallywally »

Good read for OP to get some of the basics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_ra ... n#Limiting
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

philrev

#18 Post by philrev »

wallywally wrote:Good read for OP to get some of the basics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_ra ... n#Limiting
Thanks wally that a good starting point!

BoostFab

#19 Post by BoostFab »

philrev wrote:From what i read SAC is for advance users who knows thier stuff, while entry level hardware based is for basic and simple use.
SAC is a live digial audio console. If you're a DJ then it may not be for you, but you're using Bill's speakers for live sound, mixing bands, then SAC will do everything you will need in speaker management/DSP.

Haysus

#20 Post by Haysus »

BoostFab wrote:
philrev wrote:From what i read SAC is for advance users who knows thier stuff, while entry level hardware based is for basic and simple use.
SAC is a live digial audio console. If you're a DJ then it may not be for you, but you're using Bill's speakers for live sound, mixing bands, then SAC will do everything you will need in speaker management/DSP.
+1

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording

philrev

#21 Post by philrev »

SAC limiter has better audio quality than hardware based when dealing with clips, but i dont know if somebody around who are using a hardware speaker management were replaced by a more capable SAC.

philrev

#22 Post by philrev »

ll think its not proper to replaced the DBX or any such hardware but to add SAC levelizer plugin as first line of defense for speaker protection, when something happen to SAC you can still have a protection of a hardware speaker voltage limiter.

AntonZ

#23 Post by AntonZ »

Also depends on what situations a system is used for and who operates the system. I'm the only one running my system, I'm a weekend warrior using my gear for an amateur band and my kids' school. In both situations I don't drive things "balls to the wall" loud. So I'm OK with using the SAC levelizer for brickwall limiting. I have stored a large number of levelizer presets for different max voltages for both models power amp that i use. If other people also operate the system, I would indeed prefer to have hardware limiters as last piece in the chain before power amps.

philrev

#24 Post by philrev »

I had found some info on new microbook2 and i qoute
The MicroBook provides a classic compressor on each input and output, so you can apply compression liberally with the flexibility to decide if and when you want to "commit" to your mix. You can change the MicroBook's compression settings at any time while recording or listening.
Can i use this one as brick wall voltage limiter to protect my speaker from blowing. Cuemix software included compressor with a threshold, ratio, attack, release, trim and knee knob. comments welcome.

wallywally

#25 Post by wallywally »

philrev wrote:I had found some info on new microbook2 and i qoute
The MicroBook provides a classic compressor on each input and output, so you can apply compression liberally with the flexibility to decide if and when you want to "commit" to your mix. You can change the MicroBook's compression settings at any time while recording or listening.
Can i use this one as brick wall voltage limiter to protect my speaker from blowing. Cuemix software included compressor with a threshold, ratio, attack, release, trim and knee knob. comments welcome.
As long as the ratio can go 20:1 or more and the attack 1ms or less it should work fine.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

philrev

#26 Post by philrev »

Watching microbook video, the ratio knob around 11 oclock yields around 4:1.