PA speaker management modules

The hows and whys of running sound.
MysticMichael

PA speaker management modules

#1 Post by MysticMichael »

Am currently scoping out components for a compact, modular, scalable touring PA system for a four-piece band, to be configured at some point in the future, possibly late this year, early next year. Very tentatively (at this point), it would probably include something like (4) DR200s + (8) T39s. And I'm going to invest in a 32-channel digital mixing board (possibly the Behringer X32). Still on the drawing board...

One component with which I have very little experience is speaker management modules. Am presently looking at the dbx DriveRack PA+ and the Carvin XD360. Prices are very comparable - around $500 for the dbx, around $400 for the Carvin. As for features, they both seem well-equipped. I'm simply not knowledgeable enough to discern which one, if either, has the edge. And how so?

Would anyone care to weigh in? Anyone experienced with either, or both, of these products?

Thanks,

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake

Bruce Weldy

Re: PA speaker management modules

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

MysticMichael wrote:Am currently scoping out components for a compact, modular, scalable touring PA system for a four-piece band, to be configured at some point in the future, possibly late this year, early next year. Very tentatively (at this point), it would probably include something like (4) DR200s + (8) T39s. And I'm going to invest in a 32-channel digital mixing board (possibly the Behringer X32). Still on the drawing board...

One component with which I have very little experience is speaker management modules. Am presently looking at the dbx DriveRack PA+ and the Carvin XD360. Prices are very comparable - around $500 for the dbx, around $400 for the Carvin. As for features, they both seem well-equipped. I'm simply not knowledgeable enough to discern which one, if either, has the edge. And how so?

Would anyone care to weigh in? Anyone experienced with either, or both, of these products?

Thanks,

MM
The differences that I see are:

Carvin has no auto EQ or analyzer function.
Carvin has no graphic EQ on the inputs.
Carvin has no crompressor
Carvin has a long delay available.
Carvin has no anti-feedback function
Carvin has 3 inputs assignable to 6 outputs

dbx has EQ wizard and analyzer
dbx has graphic EQ on inputs (but not PEQ)
dbx has compressor
dbx has a shorter delay available.
dbx has an anti-feedback function
dbx has 2 input by 6 output, but isn't assignable

Bottom line....

The Carvin is lacking a couple of good features in the RTA/auto EQ function and the graphic EQ on inputs. Also doesn't have anti-feedback.

What it does seem to be able to do is run monitors as well as a mains mix - the dbx can't do this.

The dbx is bulletproof and has been around and used by thousands. The Carvin is an unknown entity.

As a dbx driverack user, the lack of graphic EQ would keep me in the dbx camp as it's a lot easier to set up using a graphic on the fly than a parametric.

That's the differences as I see 'em.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

By the way.....I'd buy two Presonus Studio/live 16 channel mixers and link 'em before I'd even consider a Behringer mixer.....if you can do with 24 channels, get the Studio/Live 24.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

MysticMichael

#4 Post by MysticMichael »

Bruce Weldy wrote:By the way.....I'd buy two Presonus Studio/live 16 channel mixers and link 'em before I'd even consider a Behringer mixer.....if you can do with 24 channels, get the Studio/Live 24.
Yeah, I expressed this same sort of skepticism last week when I had a chat with one of the sales guys at Sweetwater Sound. The only reason I'm considering a Behringer *anything* at this point is the guy's insistence that the X32 is miles ahead of anything Behringer has done to date, and well worth a close look (i.e. "not your daddy's Behringer anymore", etc.). So I'm going to keep an open mind - when it does hit the market later this year.

I recall a time, not too many years ago, when Peavey was also synonymous with cheap, unreliable junk. And that's certainly no longer the case. So ya never know. Companies can change. Sometimes... :fingers:

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake

bassmonster

#5 Post by bassmonster »

IIRC, where Behringer skimps on quality is their pots and connectors, which mixers have a lot of.

MysticMichael

#6 Post by MysticMichael »

bassmonster wrote:IIRC, where Behringer skimps on quality is their pots and connectors, which mixers have a lot of.
Duly noted. Thanks for your feedback.

Now then, shall we return to the original topic? More news & views about speaker management modules?

MM

- William Blake

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi,
Driverack immediately came to mind when I was told I would need some sort of processing.

Also suggested to me has been the BBE series. As a cheaper option look at the BBE DS26, or the BBE DS48, which, here at least, is similar in price to the Driverack.

Since you're already looking at Behringer, I believe plenty of peeps here use the DCX 2496 without issues...

I'll watch this thread, I'm interested too
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

bassmonster

#8 Post by bassmonster »

You can get a BBE DS24 for around ~$150 off ebay.

Sydney

#9 Post by Sydney »

At the risk of hearing from everyone who hasn't had a problem with "Be" products:
IF it was for a friend or a client of mine, I would adamantly steer them away.
I've seen too many of their products develop problems, and be quickly discarded to use in a professional capacity.

SirNickity

#10 Post by SirNickity »

Something's gotta give at the Behringer price point. It's OK stuff if you need a band-aid, or you're just starting out and it's all you can afford. But, when you're talking $2-and-a-half-Gs, your budget is more than a college garage band. You're going to be really sorry if you put down that kind of cash and have problems.

Sweetwater previously wouldn't touch Behringer gear, so maybe this IS different. BUT, I wouldn't want to be the one to prove it either way.

All I can say is, if you need 24 channels, either one is fine. With the Presonus, you'll get a good 24-channel mixer. With the Behringer, you might need the extra 8 to ensure you still have 24 working channels. But the effects and buses? Good luck.

The DCX is at the compromise point. Cheap enough that it's not going to send you to the poor house if it tanks, and it's absolutely better than nothing. I still wouldn't use one, being a very obvious single point of failure, but that's just me.

BrentEvans

#11 Post by BrentEvans »

Michael,

I have to ask... have you looked at SAC? If you're thinking about getting a mixer and speaker management system, a SAC system can do both, and do both better (more features, more flexibility, etc). You can build a 24in/24out system with good gear (no Behringer) for the same or less than the X32. A few plugins give you all the control you need for speaker management.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

MysticMichael

#12 Post by MysticMichael »

BrentEvans wrote:Michael,

I have to ask... have you looked at SAC? If you're thinking about getting a mixer and speaker management system, a SAC system can do both, and do both better (more features, more flexibility, etc). You can build a 24in/24out system with good gear (no Behringer) for the same or less than the X32. A few plugins give you all the control you need for speaker management.
Never heard of it before, Brent. Thanks for the link. I'll surely look into it...

MM

- William Blake

LouC

#13 Post by LouC »

You might look at the Peavey VSX26 too. We were looking seriously at that model, but it was on backorder til April, wound up with the dbx DriveRack PA+ unit. Found an "open box" new unit for $369
I think we can work around the monitor issue with the dbx, but we won't know till we try.

hermanmonker

#14 Post by hermanmonker »

I've recently had the Peavey VSX 26,its my first speaker management box that I've owned and its easy to setup and use .

There is an autograph section on there that auto eq's the the speakers which is easy and straight forward to use and sounds good as well .
I've read on various forums by people that own both the peavey and driverack,saying the peavey's auto eqing does'nt need much tweeking after its pink noise measuring sequence than the driverack.

Like I said this is my first unit of this sort and am still tweeking things here and there but am amazed what a difference a unit like this does to the overall sound especially in the live environment.

el_ingeniero

#15 Post by el_ingeniero »

I could be wrong, but I have the impression that a good digital mixer would have all the signal processing you need: EQ, crossovers, brickwall limiters, as reliable as anything out there.

Mixer, straight to amps. As barebone as it gets.