DCX2496 - Xovers, Limiters, HP/LP

The hows and whys of running sound.
ripNdeb

DCX2496 - Xovers, Limiters, HP/LP

#1 Post by ripNdeb »

I finally got around to hooking up my DCX2496 - had to walk away a few times throughout the day just to get my head back together (this is a good method BTW). Amp used in this initial test is a Peavey IPR3000. Testing, so far, is out of one channel from the DCX sub out that I have set up. Eventually I will set up 1 and 2 ins to 1 and 2 outs for stereo. Thus, I have 1 and 2 summed and output to 3. Speakers used will be two LAB12 T39s and two 3012HO OTop 112s. My questions are these:

1. Does the Xover setting take care of the HP LP requirements of the speakers in question? i.e. I set up the subs channel with an L-R 48db and 45hz and another L-R 48db at 116hz. Is this taking care of the HP LP filters recommended in the plans? OR, is there another setting I'm overlooking?

2. I cranked up everything with a 60hz tone and LOL when I read 75 volts - best part of the day. BUT, to get to the required 50 volt max I had to run the limiter ALL the way down (-24db). Anything above -18 or so didn't seem to make much difference at all. Do I need to also relax the input gain on the DCX or just leave the limiter ALL the way down?

3. Similar question for when I get around to setting up the tops. Set the lower Xover at LR48db at 116hz and the high off?

4. Volts are volts? So, if I run two T39s out of one side of the amp, the load changes, the current is higher, but the volts being limited to 50 is still 50, correct?

Thanks much,
Dana (rip of ripNdeb)
2X OTop 112, 3012HO, melded - 2X T39, 27", Lab 12 - XF 212 - 4 DR250, 2 melded, 2 straight
2 20" T39 3012LF - WH10 - WH8 - in the shop - 2 more 20" T39s
http://saltandlighteureka.org still need a trailer :)

88h88

Re: DCX2496 - Xovers, Limiters, HP/LP

#2 Post by 88h88 »

The manual for the DCX is the least informative thing ever, it tells you what the controls do but not exactly what they'll effect. :wall:

1. Yup, you have those set right.

2. I had the same experience as you, my amp is a supposed 500w but it kicks out about 63v or so. The limiter didn't really do much until it was cranked all the way down.

3. This one is fun, you don't have to cross over at that exact point. If you adjust the higher end of the sub crossover to a less severe slope (48db is a requirement for the low end to keep your drivers safe as possible) then your subs will cover some of the low end of the tops which you also give a less severe slope leaving them free to deal with everything else. Highs though I have cut off at about 17k as there's not much information up higher than about 16k.

4. Running subs parallel means they'll both get the same voltage, yeah.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

ripNdeb

Re: DCX2496 - Xovers, Limiters, HP/LP

#3 Post by ripNdeb »

88h88 wrote:The manual for the DCX is the least informative thing ever, it tells you what the controls do but not exactly what they'll effect. :wall:

1. Yup, you have those set right.

2. I had the same experience as you, my amp is a supposed 500w but it kicks out about 63v or so. The limiter didn't really do much until it was cranked all the way down.

3. This one is fun, you don't have to cross over at that exact point. If you adjust the higher end of the sub crossover to a less severe slope (48db is a requirement for the low end to keep your drivers safe as possible) then your subs will cover some of the low end of the tops which you also give a less severe slope leaving them free to deal with everything else. Highs though I have cut off at about 17k as there's not much information up higher than about 16k.

4. Running subs parallel means they'll both get the same voltage, yeah.
Thanks 88; can't wait to get it all hooked up and let it breathe a little :)
2X OTop 112, 3012HO, melded - 2X T39, 27", Lab 12 - XF 212 - 4 DR250, 2 melded, 2 straight
2 20" T39 3012LF - WH10 - WH8 - in the shop - 2 more 20" T39s
http://saltandlighteureka.org still need a trailer :)