Peavey VSX 26

The hows and whys of running sound.
hermanmonker

Peavey VSX 26

#1 Post by hermanmonker »

I've just got the VSX recently and need to know what settings you BFM users are using in the Dynamics section of the unit.
What section are you using to limit the voltage to the speakers,is it gain or threshold or both ,it does'nt seem to be vey clear in the manual,and there's the other settings ,Ratio Attack and Release ?where have you guys set them.
Thanks in advance..

BrentEvans

Re: Peavey VSX 26

#2 Post by BrentEvans »

Start by setting your amp on maximum gain, with no speakers attached. Run a sine wave tone within the passband of the speaker through your mixer into the amp so that the volume is just below clip on the mixer (make sure you're not clipping the channel in the process). Measure the output voltage of the amp with an AC volt meter. Set the attack to its lowest setting (preferably 0) and release to at least .1 sec Set ratio to the highest setting (preferably inf:1). Lower the threshold until the voltage is where you want it.

Save your settings. Save your settings again. Save them again (in the very last slot allowed, if the processor enables this).
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Benj Ross

#3 Post by Benj Ross »

I have the unit, but I have not set up the limiter yet. If I find some time to do so this week I will let you know. The process that Brent outlines is the way that I would do it too. Also remember that you need a thumb drive to save your settings. There is no internal memory.

Benj
Authorized Builder
http://www.westsoundsystems.com (under construction)
Donating a portion of all proceeds to the Friends of Falun Gong
http://www.fofg.org
Peavey and Madisound Dealer

hermanmonker

#4 Post by hermanmonker »

Thanks alot Brent.
The Ratio,( Preferably inf:1 ) would that be 20:1
Peavey recommend from between 10:1 and 20:1 for speaker protection.

The smallest Attack on the unit is 0.18.
The smallest Release is 1ms

I think I've got the hang of it now,thanks again

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

hermanmonker wrote:Thanks alot Brent.
The Ratio,( Preferably inf:1 ) would that be 20:1
Peavey recommend from between 10:1 and 20:1 for speaker protection.

The smallest Attack on the unit is 0.18.
The smallest Release is 1ms

I think I've got the hang of it now,thanks again
Those settings will offer some protection, but will not be a brickwall limit. You can compensate somewhat by lowering the threshold by 3db, for a margin of added safety.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.