Furman power conditioners - $50 - $900 Which one???

The hows and whys of running sound.
ripNdeb

Furman power conditioners - $50 - $900 Which one???

#1 Post by ripNdeb »

I'm getting a power conditioner for my rack to plug all my stuff in. Furman has everything from $50 on up to the sky! I'll be running my mixer, a couple of Peavey IPR 3000s, a DCX2496, an EQ and possibly a small amp for monitors in this rack (perhaps the mixer won't even be plugged in there if we don't mix on stage). Is the 15 amp $50 unit going to suffice? OR, do I need some more serious power conditioning? The amps will be driving a couple Lab12 T39s and, on each side, two OTops OR two DRs - two subs total, 4 tops total.
2X OTop 112, 3012HO, melded - 2X T39, 27", Lab 12 - XF 212 - 4 DR250, 2 melded, 2 straight
2 20" T39 3012LF - WH10 - WH8 - in the shop - 2 more 20" T39s
http://saltandlighteureka.org still need a trailer :)

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

Re: Furman power conditioners - $50 - $900 Which one???

#2 Post by Harley »

ripNdeb wrote: two OTops OR two DRs - two subs total, 4 tops total.
You've got the sub/top ratio back the front. 1 top:2subs :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Power conditioners are snake oil. All you need is a power strip w/surge protection, $30 is the most you should have to pay.
You've got the sub/top ratio back the front. 1 top:2subs
+1.

Frederic Gelinas

#4 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

ripNdeb wrote: Is the 15 amp $50 unit going to suffice?
Yes. Power conditionning is not necessary. I have a basic rackmount Furman with pull-out lights and a main switch, and a cheap power strip screwed inside the rack. That's all I need.
Frédéric Gélinas, HF Audio
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada

ripNdeb

#5 Post by ripNdeb »

Harley wrote:
ripNdeb wrote: two OTops OR two DRs - two subs total, 4 tops total.
You've got the sub/top ratio back the front. 1 top:2subs :mrgreen:
Yup, I knew it! You couldn't just answer the question. Great! Now I have to build SIX more subs. :bash: :hyper: :loler:
Seriously though, I haven't even had a chance to put these cabs (in my sig) to the test yet. I took my OTops to church for a couple months and they put out the best sound I've yet heard there.
They used to have four JBL single 12" trapezoidal shaped speakers that they figured, since they were shaped the way they are, that they would array them...side by side....and hung them nearly 40 feet up near the apex of the vaulted ceiling. Boy did they sound wonderful :lol:
2X OTop 112, 3012HO, melded - 2X T39, 27", Lab 12 - XF 212 - 4 DR250, 2 melded, 2 straight
2 20" T39 3012LF - WH10 - WH8 - in the shop - 2 more 20" T39s
http://saltandlighteureka.org still need a trailer :)

Israel

#6 Post by Israel »

surge strip just for the delicate equipment (not the power amps) if you compare surge strips with power conditioners a $15 strip will shame a $100+ conditioner (i dunno why they call it conditioners by the way)
There is a very thin line between fail and success. It is very thin so, why are you scared???

MADE
4- OT12'S BETAII
4 T39'S 20" 3012LF LOADED
ON THE BENCH: 2 OT212

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Israel wrote:surge strip just for the delicate equipment (not the power amps) if you compare surge strips with power conditioners a $15 strip will shame a $100+ conditioner (i dunno why they call it conditioners by the way)
Until recently the term 'power conditioner' was applied to over $100 units that supposedly make AC power cleaner. Then it became a generic term applied to anything with a cord and a few outlets.

BTW, here's the best way to 'condition' AC power: transformer isolate it, rectify it to DC, filter it with high value capacitors, and in low voltage applications regulate it. That's what every piece of gear you own already does. :bull:

Israel

#8 Post by Israel »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Israel wrote:surge strip just for the delicate equipment (not the power amps) if you compare surge strips with power conditioners a $15 strip will shame a $100+ conditioner (i dunno why they call it conditioners by the way)
Until recently the term 'power conditioner' was applied to over $100 units that supposedly make AC power cleaner. Then it became a generic term applied to anything with a cord and a few outlets.

BTW, here's the best way to 'condition' AC power: transformer isolate it, rectify it to DC, filter it with high value capacitors, and in low voltage applications regulate it. That's what every piece of gear you own already does. :bull:
:shock: i like when i learn something new
There is a very thin line between fail and success. It is very thin so, why are you scared???

MADE
4- OT12'S BETAII
4 T39'S 20" 3012LF LOADED
ON THE BENCH: 2 OT212

fitzwaddle

#9 Post by fitzwaddle »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Then it became a generic term applied to anything with a cord and a few outlets.
Which is fine, as long as that's all you expect of it - I went with a Belkin PF30 for like $50, because I wanted essentially a nice looking rack mountable power strip.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

fitzwaddle wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Then it became a generic term applied to anything with a cord and a few outlets.
Which is fine, as long as that's all you expect of it - I went with a Belkin PF30 for like $50, because I wanted essentially a nice looking rack mountable power strip.
Ads for power conditioners are like those for drugs on TV where they say 'ask your Doctor if Bullshitz X is right for you'. (My feeling is if you have to ask your doctor if a drug is right for you get a new doctor.)
Along that line see if the manufacturer of your gear says you should use a power conditioner with their product. AFAIK none do, while a number of amp manufacturers specifically state that you should not.

loudsubz

#11 Post by loudsubz »

On a similar note, can you get a surge protector with built in shutdown if the voltage drops below a certain threshold?

Say your at a gig and you have a brown out or power problems and voltages drops below 100 volts ac, is there a decently priced device that will just turn off so you don't create problems for any of your components? I know my BBE DS48 was replaced once from previous owner when voltage dropped to 90 volts and messed up the power supply in the unit, rather avoid that if I have to, but don't want to lug around a heavy UPS in the rack.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

loudsubz wrote:
Say your at a gig and you have a brown out or power problems and voltages drops below 100 volts ac, is there a decently priced device that will just turn off so you don't create problems for any of your components?
Not that I'm aware of. A UPS is your best bet with accessories. Don't even think about using them with power amps. BTW, in 47 years of gigs I haven't seen a piece of gear yet damaged by any kind of power problem.

el_ingeniero

#13 Post by el_ingeniero »

I'd not bother with a Furman anything. Heavy as all get out.

I like the high-grade Tripplite suppressors with a metal box. Bolt it to a 1U blank rack spacer, mount that in the topmost position in back with the suppressor on the inside. You'll have to reach inside to turn on the switch, but that way you won't have accidents.

You need a light for your rack? Get a clip on battery powered LED light.